Author Topic: Tricks Without Sticks  (Read 8180 times)

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Tricks Without Sticks
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:58:46 am »
Skip to 2:48 if you want to just go directly into the tricks

I have been researching a new diabolo style and finally made a video about it. Although rings and diabolo has been done before, I dont think it's been done quite like this.This is after the Humboldt Juggling Festival 2010 after being really inspired by many of the awesome jugglers there... everyone had something innovative with their props and I wanted to make somehting new too. I have also been wanting to create a new style of diabolo that has a lot of isolation and geometric moves to it.I was at the Vulcan's Wednesday night spin jam and first started playing with a few rings and diabolos, and quickly started coming up with many ideas. This video shows me breaking out of my element of technology (I'm a game design major), and technical/numbers diabolo juggling and into something more artistic. I wanted the video to be themed to the combination of nature and technology, as lots of shapes in it are derived from nature yet the style mimics something made up of many gears. As Kevin Axtel would say... "Spintigration"...

Also sorry for the bad video quality, I do not have an HD camera.

Edit - April 20th 2010 - Shorter version:
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: Tricks Without Sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:22 am »
Ooook, negative stuff first. I thought the start was far to long considering the video is 9 minutes. I wish you had an HD camera, that would have been awsome.

Good stuff, this is the first thing I've seen in a video that actually has made me want to give it a go, the tricks look very fluid. I think you have probably come up with a style that a few people might experiment with. Did you try anything on different planes?

Its great to see that good videos are beginning to get posted now this year!
Alex abuses flys!

Wis

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:29 am »
Lovely ideas. But I should have started perhap at half of the video (even if I liked the frog diabolo game thing, xD)
I like the video since you started combining 2 diabolos with rings.
Really creative.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:00 am »
Yes, some of the ideas in the video are really good, but as said already, the intro was far too long. The writing coming up on the screen was a bit cheesy.
Also, it seemed that the video began to lack creativeness about half way through. Tricks where you are just throwing stuff around were pretty basic.
I think that the first half of the tricks, where isolation was the main feature were really good though. I'd like to see more of this stuff with isolation.

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »
I really appreciated the scenery!  Being an outdoorsman, I guess I should have.  The tricks were nice, but I just am not interested enough to go out and try any.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »
I enjoyed the video.  I like how the tricks have isolation possibility.  Perhaps people from the Ministry of Manipulation would be interested in playing around with some of these ideas. 

Toddyupa

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:11:39 am »
I preffered the tricks with the diabolos actually spinning, but it was all pretty awesome stuff. Really liked the creature imatations at 5:55 and 8:30
pretentious 12 year old

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:16 am »
Wow Draco nice!

The intro is in no way to long! It is an awesome intro! And I loved the way you made that game and such with those frogs! Playing with diabolo's and doing 4 high!!
Really nice. If people don't want to see an intro they can skip it. But I liked it!

Yur a realy dedicated juggler my friend! Keep it up! Maybe you can use this stuff in your shows as an start and then on a magical way you find some sticks and play with that :)

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:11 am »
Thanks for all the comments everyone! I'm glad you all liked it, sorry for the intro being too long too. I would like to see what new things other people come up with this style, it is really unexplored and has a lot of potential for new tricks, those of you who practice isolations can probably get some things looking way smoother than I did. Still trying to figure out the whole new planes thing with it too, tried a few things that didnt work all too well except for maybe the "Saturn" trick which is basically like how ring jugglers grind a spinning ring atop a flat ring, but with a diabolo inside.

I am making a routine out of this stuff which will hopefully be finished and filmed in the next few months... I'll post it up here once it is.

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »
if you cut the firts part of video (except the diabolo videogame) i think it should be in frontpage

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »
If you guys want me to, I can upload another version of just the tricks w/o intro

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:38:55 pm »
Just watched it now. Great ideas and quite fluid. You took it much farther than I thought you would. The inserts inside the cups were a nice idea.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »
Thanks Sean! Would probably look pretty cool with those sparkly diabolo stickers, or even LED diabolos instead of my McGuyvered Henrys Spin Illusion Kit :P

Also, for those who requested it, I just uploaded a shorter version without the intro but still with frog game. I would put it on my first post in this topic, but I cant seem to edit that for some reason

Simalacrum

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »
WOW.

This is easily the most awesome thing I have seen in a while.

I think I might try it out too!

Just wandering, does it work with bearing diabolo's? Cause it looks to me like it would only really work with fixed axle..

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 12:23:30 am »
Absolutely fantastic!
I've spent a lot of time with ring/diabolo, but never even thought to explore the area which you have so beautifully worked out here.
This is the kind of innovation that really gets me excited!

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:18 am »
Sexy concept diabolo integration stuff.
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:44 am »
Thanks guys. Not sure if itll work with diabolo, it should... I just came up with some really cool new shapes right now, both for one person and 2 people synchro. Ill try and film it all and hopefully put a new T w/o S video up sometime next week? Will keep you all posted.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »
Thanks guys. Not sure if itll work with diabolo, it should... I just came up with some really cool new shapes right now, both for one person and 2 people synchro. Ill try and film it all and hopefully put a new T w/o S video up sometime next week? Will keep you all posted.
I want to see your really cool new shapes. Please upload so I can see the new shapes.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:22 am »
Here ben... Kind of just more of my friends messing around and having fun but it has some of the new shapes in the video.

Im thinking of also maybe making a few tutorials for ringabolo if you guys are interested in that?

wgm

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
if you do some of that 2d or more then yes