Author Topic: Fire !! :Proofing wicks??  (Read 1712 times)

Fueltheflame

Fire !! :Proofing wicks??
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
Im new to the forum so hi there everyone !

I read somewhere that your supposed to "prime" or "proof" wicks on fire items before using them and i wonder if anyone knew how !!!  :o
I just bought a nesbitt fire diabolo after owning a fyrefly one for a few years (which i modified by adding a wide axel designed for a finess diabolo to stop it whipping up (works well btw if anyones interested :) ))

Cheers !

seán_

Re: Fire !! :Proofing wicks??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:58:37 pm »
Opinion on whether or not you need to prime wicks or not is divided. Basically what you do is fuel up, short burn, extinguish, fuel up, short burn, extinguish - repeat a few times.
After that just use as normal. Only takes a few minutes so can't really hurt.

Nice tip on the wide axle, welcome to the forum.

Richard

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:19 pm »
I've always heard that you should soak, dry, soak, dry, soak, dry, soak, dry and then you're ready.

seán_

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:50:13 am »
That would take hours/days for some props Richard.

I had it explained to me that it's to make sure that the fuel is making it all the way in and it's maybe more of a worry when dealing with heftier wick props such as staffs. Wicks that are primed will not be dry inside, moisture is less likely to find it's way in and the wick should last longer.

Theres not a ton of wick on a fire diabolo, just make sure you follow the usual burning tips and the wicks should be fine for a good while.