Author Topic: Photo to distinguish Finesse generations (G1, G2, G3, and G4)  (Read 7464 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Yesterday, Duncan and I happened upon all four generations of the Finesse diabolo at the same place. Of course, I had to take a photo. It's interesting to see how Babache has increased the width of the diabolos with each generation. That was initially one of their selling points.

You can download the full sized version here:
http://diabolo.ca/images/forum/finesse-generations-large.jpg
which could be of help if you're trying to figure out what generation you have.

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: Photo to distinguish Finesse generations (G1, G2, G3, and G4)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »
It is quite interesting to see that with the first three genereations they stuck to what is like a deep bowl shape, and for the fourth they have gone towards a more smooth curve such as the circus + suns. The strange curve is still there but no where near as prominent. I wonder if they will phase the shape out completley with the next generation.
Alex abuses flys!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16:24 pm »
Yes, I'd say by the 5th generation they will have evolved over 6-7 years into a diabolo that was designed nearly 2 decades earlier.

Even though they may be making a more 'mainstream' diabolo now, I find it a bit disappointing that there isn't something as different still on the market. Not that I'd be using it, but lots of people would, and it's nice to have options.

Got to try the G4 for a bit too. I wouldn't say it's bad by any means. Different, yes, and a bit heavier than previous generations, but there's nothing radically different or wrong with it. Looks strange to me when I use it because it's almost shaped like a Circus, but not quite. Looks more like a Duncan diabolo in shape. A little more triangular than a Circus.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:04:04 am »
This is so true. As a Circus user the Finesse seems to come closer to my dear diabolo all the time. I agree with Sean, we should have more different diabolos on the market. For some reason choices in this best sized diabolos are quite limited. I'm quite surprised that they still use the same rubbery like plastic on finesse. For me the friction on finesse's cups is the one and only thing i don't like the whole diabolo. But at the same time i feel that they shouldn't change to other plastics since that is the feature what makes Finesse so different than others. If compared to Circus the friction is much more on Finesse. Circus starts of also with more friction on the cups, but the material changes a little over time to be much better. So for me Circuses become better over time when you use them. I haven't seen same thing happening to Finesses rubber.

The axel system in Finesse looks the same in all generations but they have made one change for the 4th generation. Which is this, in first 3 generations the nubs were separate from the axle. In the 4th generation the other nub comes out of the bolt like it should be but the other one is stuck there. I used 30minutes trying to get this one nub off until i realized that it will never come off since it's the same metal as the bolt. Now for making mods this sucks like hell. You basically need to get more nubs for Finesse if you are putting on a Revolution kit for example, or a wider axle such as an old Ultra Solution kit (now JC includes spare nubs for them).  So basically if you need to get the nubs for Finesse there are two ways. Get the Mr. Babache wide kit and from there you will acquire one nub. Also our friend Jürgern Kreisz (JC on this forum) has loads of these so you might buy some from him.

All in all, thank you Sean and Duncan. This will be one of my future favorite topics. Easy to copy paste and show the differences to people. It's awesome that you made this.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:44:49 pm »
For me the friction on finesse's cups is the one and only thing i don't like the whole diabolo. But at the same time i feel that they shouldn't change to other plastics since that is the feature what makes Finesse so different than others.
Agreed. Personally, I would be happier and happier until it morphed into a Sundia Sun or a Circus, but then, what's the point in that? They already exist.

I always have had mixed feelings about the Finesse generations. I applaud them for innovating and trying to improve the performance of their diabolo. Until recently the diabolo gear world was otherwise nearly completely stagnant. However, I also wonder how much of it has to do with selling more diabolos. The changes have at some points (especially G2 -> G3) been quite minor and I wonder if with a bit more testing they could have skipped some of these generations?

I've got to hand it to them though, the Finesse material is the most durable. I have six-year-old Finesses that have been abused over pavement for hundreds of hours and they still easily clean up to look almost new. They also come in some of the brightest colours.

In the 4th generation the other nub comes out of the bolt like it should be but the other one is stuck there.
Interesting. Good to know. I believe Sundia switched from that fused design to a design where both ends are free at some point. Probably to facilitate the addition of their light kits. The earlier versions that I have are fused but all the newer ones I've seen are not.

I wonder what the advantage is? Perhaps they are less likely to loosen?

... Easy to copy paste and show the differences to people.
Thanks. Next week I may take my macro lens and get a close up of the edges of the cups. I didn't think of it at the time.

ted327

Finesse Diabolo telling differences
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:58:23 pm »
How do you tell if your Finesse is a G1, G2, G3, G4. I have 3 and I cannot figure it out. Also will it make a difference for doing 2 diabolos if one is a G1 and another is a G2 or G4

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Finesse Diabolo telling differences
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:54:59 am »
Download the full-sized photo I linked at the beginning of this thread I merged your post to and see if you can figure it out from the rim shape and markings.

You can do 2 (or 3) diabolos with pretty much any combination of diabolos, but the common wisdom is that learning multiple diabolos is hard enough without a handicap. The G2 and G3 are reasonably similar. The G1 and G4 are more noticeably different.

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:18:19 pm »
I was stuck to g2 for a long time but then i forced myself to start with g3, but i think i will never do that jump
again... for me g3 is the true diabolo. Circus is just a rubbery piece of shhh ;)