Author Topic: Cleaning diabolos  (Read 52459 times)

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Re: Cleaning diabolos
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:26 am »
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and kinda new to diaboloing(been diaboling for two or three months now) and ive been wondering. What is a good way to clean a henrys circus diabolo? Do you have to use some special solution, just wash and scrub it with water, or do something entirely different. I dont want to ruin them by putting some soap that might destroy the metal, and rubber.

ps: i dont have acetone(spelling?) or anything. is there a good alternative than that?

-Chris G.-
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Arjan

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 09:13:59 pm »
Okay, after a few months of intenste practise with my herny`s I found some time to clean em.

The result:

Before:

After:

I was going to take a shot at the dirty diabolo contest... but they aren`t all black, so I gave up.
This is how I have done it:

Took them apart.
Filled a tub with really hot water .
Put the half shell in there, for about 1 hour... along with some soap.
Then just started scrubbing with a scouring pad, and a larger thing.
It was really hard, and took long... but they are clean.

Only, I still think they can get cleaner. I tried with some acetone, from a little bottle, but that didn`t work really... do you guy`s mix it with water?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 10:47:45 am »
Crikey that's dirty!  Is there mud and dirt in there or is it just successive cup rubbing (umm, yeah...) with the handstick?  And that's why I went for red.  I use surgical spirit on cotton wool to clean things like my white clubs and that works well.  Don't know about acetone though I'm afraid.  Parafin, water and washing liquid goes well too.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Arjan

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 01:52:58 pm »
Well there is some dirt on there, but mainly from colliding intogether, and rubbing the cups for corrections.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 10:47:03 pm »
I think you could at least earn a top 3 finish in the contest with those pictures, Arjan. ;)

When I use acetone I get the cups wet, get the scouring pad wet, dab a little acetone on the scouring pad, and scrub like mad. I think the most essential part in the equation is a fresh, rough, scouring pad like this:

I find it gets worn out after about 3 dirty circuses and doesn't clean as well.

I usually start with lots of enthusiasm and end with none. As a result my diabolos come out successively less clean. :roll:

On a side note, I find that when circuses are first cleaned they have a matte surface that attracts new dirt and marks like a magnet. After a while they get shiny again and stay cleaner. I accidentally discovered that if the cups get covered in a thin layer of skiing glide wax they get really shiny and stay almost perfectly clean. Waxed cups also, however, leave a residue on the string that renders the string so slippery it becomes useless.  :?

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 08:49:37 am »
check out the scouring pads with soap! those are great!

i actually used a new sponge like that, and i used some bathtub cleaner. it's like the white paste that you put on tile and aluminum and stuff. and man, that cleaned it off pretty well. i didnt have such disgusting diabolos as you guys, but still, when i was done, they looked really nice.

soon i will be getting white henry's, white G1, and white G2...then you will really see the dirt :D

Martijn

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2005, 07:37:35 pm »
Allright, I decide to clean my very dirty* white Finesses II today. I used a scouring pad (several pads actually) and green liquid soap. I gave all I got, and now there's nothing left of me (well, at least of my finger tops :P). I don't think they can get cleaner... but I'm araid to use them!! :P Here are the pics:

before:

after:

*as far as Finesses can be dirty, they were very clean compared to Arjan's white Henry's Circus.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

ming

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 08:35:37 pm »
Has anyone tried sticking they're diabolos in the dishwasher? Was thinking of giving it a go

Spooned

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 08:49:18 pm »
Hmm, dont know why you guys cant clean circus', get a scouring pad and then add some of that fairy cleaning liquid, and it comes out completely clean, but it leaves this crappy stuff that kinda changes the colour, but that rubs off after a few days.

EDIT: damn those finesses are clean *shields eyes from brightness*
Diabolo or Diablo

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 08:53:36 pm »
WOW, that's seriously flerkin white. Yeh circus can come up completely clean, but not as completely clean as that, i am in awe.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 09:26:37 pm »
holy crap, that's amazing...are you sure that's not a picture of when you first got those G2s rather than when you just cleaned them? :p

Yoda

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 10:45:04 pm »
Hey! Those finesess are be-u-tiful!!
I just found a way to clean my circus in a more confortable way:
I disassemble it, put the "screw" in a fixed drill, atach one of the shells with the hub and the top nut to lock it there, then I turn on the drill and: Tcharam! The cup is rotating :shock: :D  then all I do is to pass a cloth with some cleaning liquid (kerosene most of the time) and I dont have to rub it a lot!
As a result my phospho circus glows in the dark again! not only the inner part  :lol:

[]s
Lucas Machado

Twilite

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 12:34:53 am »
From the photos I've seen so far it looks like it's just me that gets big scratches as well as marks on their diabolos? I think even if I cleaned my relatively new Jazz it wouldn't come up that nice because of all the cuts and scrapes it has. Is that just me?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

seán_

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 12:41:48 am »
Have you been playing on concrete  or rough asphalt Twilite? Naughty!

Yoda mentions parafin again, I really must try that next time I'm due a diabolo clean. I'll report  back on the results in November ;)

Twilite

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 12:48:41 am »
I guess I have  :oops: It's the only place in the garden that's far enough away from the pond to keep things dry! You'd never think I had a huge park behind my house would you! I'll do my best to keep my next ones cleaner and scratch-freeer! (Yes, you can have threee e's in a row!)
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 12:58:24 am »
Crikey to Tijn's finesses.  I'm pretty sure you just scrubbed off the top layer of rubber like peeling a carrot.  Lighter fluid works well too like paraffin, though a lil more heady and a lil more flammable.  Bad sticks can also take chunks out of your diabolo too.  I learnt this with my old poorly made aluminium bars that took a small chunk out of my Beaches.

Chiok

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 02:06:30 am »
Man those finesses look brand new!  :shock:

Hey, I also found a great way, yet extermely hard process of cleaning my henrys circuses. Well i dont have a picture of them dirty before, and one of them now, but trust me on this one. I just got water to clean them! And then i got a little wash cloth(the ones that say that they have microscopic little fabrics that help clean out) then I got the ratched I used to clean them(or you can use a good sized stick or something with a flat edge) and then I put the cloth on the ratchet dampened with water, and started scrubbing. Hey, its like drawing, and it is loads off your finger tips. My diabolos also looked brand new, completely cleaned, and the same color as I got them!. You guys cay try this with acetone or something, it will probably do wonders on your diabs, but I think water is the way to go without getting any crazy sideeffects.

Well, alright my way is not great if you are looking for the easy tireless way, kinda "caveman like" :P, but it works great, but takes long. It took me about a good thee hours to get my circuses clean, but my wrists just felt like they would after writing a 4-5 page essay. I think my butt hurt more from sitting down on it all that time than my wrists did after I was done. :?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 08:53:06 am »
Quote from: Twilite
From the photos I've seen so far it looks like it's just me that gets big scratches as well as marks on their diabolos? I think even if I cleaned my relatively new Jazz it wouldn't come up that nice because of all the cuts and scrapes it has. Is that just me?

yeah thats why my henry's are fecked, im trying to use them more on the grass when i do high patterns, but occasionally they fly over to the concrete in my backyard (or sometimes i have no choice, like when im in the parking lot or something :? ). so my diabolos are really scratched. when i clean em they look okay but they still have scratches.

and one of my circuses has like, a puncture wound. it looks like someone stabbed a knife almost straight through my diabolo, its the strangest thing because i dont remember something like that ever happening

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 11:38:27 am »
Maybe someone was jealous at a convention or something.  Does it whistle now?

Chiok

Martijn

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 11:52:02 am »
Thanks for the compliments of my clean Finesses! The only way to get them really clean (especially the edge, damn that was some hard scrubbing work) is to scrub very hard with a new scouring pad. I don't want to use stuff like parafin, acetone, lighter fluid or other aggressive chemicals. I've only used some water and liquid green soap.

If you only want to get the top layer of dirt of, you only have to touch the diabs with a scouring pad, water and green soap. The dirt just flies off! Honestly :D (well, at least with Finesses) This time I really wanted them to look brandnew, so I also had to take the bottom layer of dirt of... only to amaze you guys here ofcourse :P
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl