Author Topic: Cleaning diabolos  (Read 51319 times)

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Re: Cleaning diabolos
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005, 02:07:28 pm »
Yeah the dirt flies off so easy on every diab i think, water n a tiny bit o light scrubbin will dissolve it easy, its the scuff marks left when the diabs rub against each other that are the hard ones, just like scuff marks left by dark soled shoes on sports hall floors, any cleaner will tell you how annoying they are to get rid of, as well as any diabist who's attempted to clean their diabs  :wink:

seán_

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 02:13:20 pm »
I know some people prefer not to mix diabolo colours. Does anyone have any thoughts about how much this matters when it comes to the the gunk that transfers between both diabs (I'd guess that the transfer still occurs but that it would be less noticeable)

Martijn

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 02:42:21 pm »
If there's a collision from a white and a red circus, you'll end up with red marks on the white diab. Not nice. But I use white Finesses, and they also get very dirty, no matter if they are the same color.. so the difference is not that big.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 02:52:17 pm »
I used to have a black circus, and ended up giving it to someone because it was marking the others so much.   The red one does seem to mark the white one, but not a great deal.  And mine are lovely and filthy at the moment - I much prefer the feel of them when they're like that.

ming

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 03:15:21 pm »
I just cleaned my white circus. Talk about elbow grease (tm), i now appreaciate what my ex used to do.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2005, 05:02:05 am »
Quote from: xfirebladex
Maybe someone was jealous at a convention or something.  Does it whistle now?

Chiok

well the hole doesnt go all the way through..i mean its not a hole. here are pics.

sean_: i dont think that there is any "gunk" that transfers between 2 diabolos, like martijn said, you just get the color from the others. my white Circus has a lot of blue and red streaks on it :P

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2005, 05:16:52 am »
Wow, that looks like a deep cut. How did that one happen?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Martijn

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2005, 11:55:20 am »
Quote from: Matt_
and one of my circuses has like, a puncture wound. it looks like someone stabbed a knife almost straight through my diabolo, its the strangest thing because i dont remember something like that ever happening

... maybe that answers your question? :wink:
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2005, 09:20:31 pm »
Quote from: Dracodragon
Wow, that looks like a deep cut. How did that one happen?

dude i have no idea, it's been there for a long time, im pretty sure it was there even before i used alum sticks...

and maybe, just maybe, martijn you may be right...someone was just too jealous of me and had to stab my circus  :lol:

Twilite

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2005, 01:16:07 pm »
I just finished cleaning my diabolo, and thought I'd share my experience.
I used a new scouring pad, very hot water and Fairy Liquid, and all the paint and surface dirt came right off after a little soak. Scrubbing got most of the rest of the ingrained dirt out of the scratches and things, but I did try a little aid, which seemed like a good idea at the time... bleach.

I thought "Ok, it's corrosive, but a tiny bit can't hurt, right?" Well, I have a clean diabolo, but instead of the rich purple I remember from the old days, and the clean bits under the hubs, I've now got a streaky, milky purple colour. So please don't use bleach! I'm not sure if this is from the scrubbing, because it hasn't completely dried yet (it feels dry) or a side affect of the bleach, but the rubber is super grippy now too. Any tiny brushes of the hands while finger grinding and it just flies away.
Moral; Don't use bleach!

It's hit the floor a couple of times, and where it's been scraped there are sort of more normal shades of purple showing through. Either the bleach is eating away at the rubber, or it just left a residue on the outside, that's why it's a weird colour. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2005, 02:04:15 pm »
The dried out sticky feeling is normal after scrubbing circus diabolos with anything. It goes away as you drop it enough times that the cups get polished again. As to the streaky, milky purple colour - maybe that is from the bleach.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2005, 09:51:09 pm »
Damn, I feel bad for you.  That couldn't have felt good when that came out.  Hopefully it'll fade out or scrape away.  Though there was a post here a while ago about dying circus and Viper hubs with hard and soft masks for some striking results.

Hope it gets better,
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Twilite

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2005, 11:25:37 pm »
It's fine. It's good to learn this kind of thing on Jazz's, so I know not to do it when I get real diabolos!

One little question; When putting it all together, how important is it that it was all screwed centrally onto the threaded 'core'? I tried to get the cups, hub and axel as close to the middle as i could, but when tightening I may have tightened one side further than the other and it not all be screwed on evenly. (Am I explaining myself properly?)

Does it matter, and is there a trick to keeping it central?

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2005, 03:36:41 am »
well ive never put together a jazz before, but i know for a fact that on a Circus, everything screws together perfectly. i.e. you screw everything as tight as it goes and it's perfectly set. i have a picture of the hubs by themselves screwed together....i hope this is what you are talking about. if not, sorry.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2005, 06:53:49 am »
Yeah, i dont think circuses really take any adjustment when screwwing them together.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Twilite

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2005, 06:19:18 pm »
Thanks for the comments and pics. I guessed it looked the right length that when everything was screwed tight it would be central, just wanted to check!

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 05:03:52 pm »
This probably came up somewhere in the thread but i haven't read it all. Brasso works really well for cleaning, but remember to rub it off or it gets on your string.
My friend said cif works well too but i havn't tried.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Jsam

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2005, 01:02:05 am »
I use a product called Goof Off it is clear and I put a tiny amount on a rag and one wipe and my green circus looks like brand new
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

frank0072

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 12:58:11 pm »
I have cleansed my white diabolo 2 weeks ago. It was all rough at the end, because of the sponge. I really really disliked the extremely whitecolor when it was finished, so I am glad it is back to white with black stripes again finally :). No more cleaning for me.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2005, 01:10:04 am »
i was wondering if anyone cleans their diabolos right when they get new ones

i just got some new circus diabolos and they feel very different from my old ones also the edges are sharper and when i used my new red one with an old white one the white one got red all over it when they touched..

should i just pretend they are dirty and clean them like i usually do... or dose it just take time or what?

-ben