Author Topic: WJF 2005. Who's going?  (Read 14812 times)

KaTurN

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 04:10:06 am »
Im going to go it dosent seam like its too oriented to diabolo though mostly toss juggling

But if some1 can get me to correct two diabolos it will be well worth it

norbi

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 10:16:59 am »
It does seem a lot more toss orientated this year. But hey, i'll be there, and i'll help you. Also, if you ever get bored, just sit and watch Ryo.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 11:59:40 am »
man, I can just think of my mom's response when I ask her if i can go, no it's during school, It's freaking expensive and on and on....  Maybe mithew and I can go during senior year or no.... lol I wish XD

ztt

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 07:07:23 pm »
i really wish i could go but its to much money for me,

talking about competions, dont you think they should be a young diaboloist of the year at the british conventon because theres one for juggling ?
zack turner

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 08:46:07 pm »
Yeah I wish, not that I would win or anything. Maybe an actual diabolo competition (fwdc) would be cool 8) . I can't go for a combination of reasons that have been posted I doubt anyone else from e.port is either.Ejc is a possibility though.
Behind your back is your front.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 10:55:22 pm »
The BYJotY is open to diabolo aswell, its even open to things like devil stick (ugh)

One VERY important thing to remember about the comp is that you are also marked on use of music, costume, stage presence, and general performance, aswell as technical ability. Although it was clearly published, a few people (e.g. Paul and Tiff) claimed not to have known this, and complained afterwards that their routines were 2 of the hardest, and yet they won nothing.

I hope we get a better selection of competitors this year, it would be great.

Also, on the flip-side of what i said earlier... If you dont have a routine together, and just want to have a go, its a really great opportunity to get up infront of an audience, and under the added pressure of competition, well worth entering just for the fun of it.

See you all there (and see some of you in Vegas?)

web

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 11:36:26 pm »
I'm going.  I was thinking about competing in something like beginner rings, but decided just to go hang out and have a good time.  Norbi, I can't wait to meet you.  I can't wait to see so many people and such awesome juggling.

Mike Webster.

tomangleberger

• Donator
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 01:29:16 am »
I'm just curious here, but is no one boycotting the WJF convention over:

* Garfield's rules?
* Garfield's ego?
* Garfield's attitude?
* Garfield's attire?
* Garfield's disturbing vision of JuggleSport?

or the recent "Dancing on Francis Brunn's Grave" controversy?

I'd love to hang out with fellow diaboloers/jugglers, but I'd really have to think twice before supporting the WJF in any form.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 02:01:41 am »
I think he's a dick, for sure, but he has a valid mission, that supports a huge part of the juggling community, juggling nerds. I'm not saying that Thomas Dietz is a nerd, but... well, I guess anyone who can do tricks like db97531 (or even know what that is) must be a juggling nerd. I'm a juggling nerd. And a performer. I think you can be both. but I think of juggling in two different ways all the time, from nerd perspective and performer perspective. And I get to meet Yabe and the Posse and juggle with them, which doesn't happen often because I live in friggen massachussetts (nothing against massachusetts, its just a bit far from France). So, yes, Jason's a dick, but I'm paying him because I like his product. In a way, I'm using him.  But not really.

EDIT: what "dancing on francis brunn's grave" controversy? didn't hear about this one.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Mithew

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 02:28:30 am »
Quote from: Sharpes
there's a good group who are pretty good (Andy S, Mithew, JJJ7, Nathan, others not on the forum).

thanks Jacob, i keep on trying.  I wish i could go to the WJF convention, but there's no chance my parents would let me
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Matt_

• Donator
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 06:15:22 am »
which doesn't happen often because I live in friggen massachussetts (nothing against massachusetts, its just a bit far from France)

you're about 3000 miles closer than me man :P

Mithew: it really isnt that expensive for WJF, if you break it down by how many days you're there and what you get. 205 bucks for all the shows and its 49 bucks a night hotel...i was totally about to go but my mom said no even though i had the money. oh well, now i have some extra money and i can go see Les Claypool on new years :)

Chiok

• Donator
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 08:53:12 am »
Do people find it a bit strange that, we're all diaboloists and jugglers and it's somewhat a large part of our life yet when it comes to making priorities about things juggling related, it normally takes the backburner even if we have the money, or even just the means to do so.  I too am guilty of this, as I could probably travel to most of the conventions in the UK (despite all being very northern) but I tend not to as I don't wanna take the time off, or spend the money travelling.  Not that I have anything against conventions, I'm a convert after Bristol, but I've never really felt pushed to travel to more.

The WJF is a big showcase of some of the world's elite jugglers, but only a few people make the determined effort to go.  I know distance and cost is a big thing for most people, but isn't it like that for most things?  Long and short of it is, I would like to go, but don't wanna spend the money or take the time from work either, not that juggling isn't important to me.

Chiok
(just an out loud thought, not aimed at anyone at all)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 10:34:35 am »
EDIT: what "dancing on francis brunn's grave" controversy? didn't hear about this one.

Check out Chiapinni's video. Or... no, you shouldn't.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 02:29:15 pm »
Quote from: Martijn

Check out Chiapinni's video. Or... no, you shouldn't.

its been edited
basically a 'tribute' to Francis Brun/the WTF mentality took to a sad level of disrespect for a fellow juggler/human

norbi

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 02:43:37 pm »
Quote from: Chiok
Do people find it a bit strange that, we're all diaboloists and jugglers and it's somewhat a large part of our life yet when it comes to making priorities about things juggling related, it normally takes the backburner even if we have the money, or even just the means to do so.

I disagree strongly, even if i dont have the money, i will still do my best to get to a convention.

Jonnyh

WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 03:31:32 pm »

I'm just curious here, but is no one boycotting the WJF convention over:

* Garfield's rules?
* Garfield's ego?
* Garfield's attitude?
* Garfield's attire?
* Garfield's disturbing vision of JuggleSport?

or the recent "Dancing on Francis Brunn's Grave" controversy?

I'd love to hang out with fellow diaboloers/jugglers, but I'd really have to think twice before supporting the WJF in any form.

I think anyone who can think up of a convention such as the WJF and organise it deserves at least a bit of credit! I don't particularly have any problem with the guy either, I think if you've spent as long as he has trying to learn tricks, you'd probably want to show them off a bit too!

Anyway :roll: ... sorry Sean! back to topic...

I won't be at the WJF :cry:

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 04:18:59 pm »
Norbi: The BYJotY is open to diabolo aswell, its even open to things like devil stick (ugh)

This is very true! Last year the show included diabolo, rings, clubs, flower sticks, balls and... a stick, maybe.

Nobi: One VERY important thing to remember about the comp is that you are also marked on use of music, costume, stage presence, and general performance, aswell as technical ability. Although it was clearly published, a few people (e.g. Paul and Tiff) claimed not to have known this, and complained afterwards that their routines were 2 of the hardest, and yet they won nothing.

This isn´t entirely true. The main award is an audience vote, so whatever you think would have mass appeal at a juggling convention with an audience of jugglers is what you should do on stage. The other awards are judged by a panel and what these judges are looking for is EXCELLENCE. It doesn´t matter what you do, if you do it to a high enough standard you win **** loads of prizes. If you want to do a purely "sports juggling" act with no music and no costume and no general performance skills you can, and you could get an award, but you better have some really good skills and show them off pretty much dropless. As the organiser of the competition I want anyone to be able to do anything.

Except yoyo, as yoyo has a seperate competition.

Norbi: I hope we get a better selection of competitors this year, it would be great.

I think any prospective competitor this year should know that last year nobody won a gold award... nobody was good enough, proffessional enough, entertaining enough. They certainly deserved silver awards, but the gold award is meant to be comparable to a gold award at the IJA juniors or seniors level.

Norbi: Also, on the flip-side of what i said earlier... If you dont have a routine together, and just want to have a go, its a really great opportunity to get up infront of an audience, and under the added pressure of competition, well worth entering just for the fun of it.

Yes! Go for it! There are no preliminary rounds so everyone has a chance. If you want to compete, or want more information, just send an email to luke@juggler.net with "juggling competition" in the subject somewhere.
Luke

norbi

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 04:26:19 pm »
Quote from: Luke Burrage
This isn´t entirely true. The main award is an audience vote, so whatever you think would have mass appeal at a juggling convention with an audience of jugglers is what you should do on stage.

Oh yeah, well i dont count the main prize as a real award, its all a popularity contest ;-)
Obviously the best award is the judges choice :-P
So i was just telling people how to win the most important one *another smiley)

Pete

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2005, 08:31:13 pm »
Is it just me or are there only 2 diabolo competitors so far? Ryo and Norbi.
Does anyone know of anyone else who is thinking of competing. It would be nice to see Antonin defend his 1st place from last year.

But on the bright side if no-one else competes Norbi is assured at least 2nd place.

Does anyone have any idea why Tony never competes? He would do really well. I don't know how solid his 4 high is but from what i've seen its pretty good. A 4up pirouette is bound to get some attention.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
WJF 2005. Who's going?
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2005, 11:48:26 pm »
That is assuming i get through pre-lims.

It is a foolish (but very common mistake) to judge people by what you saw on video. Tony's 4 high is absolutely unbelievable, when it works, which it doesnt every time. Then, baring in mind he has messed up 3high on numourous occasions on stage, and he has that rather solid, his 4 high would be sh*te on stage.

Just a thought.