Author Topic: Better performance  (Read 1432 times)

Not Skilled Yet

Better performance
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »

Everything there was fairly easy for me, I didn't practice for 2 or 3 weeks, that's probably the main reason for 10 silly drops. And lack of skill. If you like it or hate it, or have any kind of advice, please comment.
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Arjan

Re: Better performance
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »
Practice! That would be my main advise. You said you didn't practice for 2 or 3 weeks before going on stage. What kind of reverse psychology approach is that? I love it! Seriously, it is very important, especially the weeks before a performance, to practice your stage routine!! Without that any human is bound to fail and fail again on stage.

Next time, really try it! Train your technique, meaning chop up your routine in logical bits and train them individually. Then put it all back together and do at least 10 complete run trough's every day the weeks before going on stage. Also, try at least once or twice to perform it for your friends or parent's or anyone, so that you'll get comfortable with being in front of people. Take it seriously! This is an important thing for being on stage, to be comfortable with it. Sometimes it can really help to do it 2 or 3 times right after each other, with a "testing" audience. They might even be able to give some response or even advise on your performing.

Last but not least, never only focus on your stage routine, always find some time to either play or train other stuff. If you have a regular training schedule I would advise to first work on your routine and then after do your regular training.

Just my idea's after watching your video, I hope it will help. Also you might want to search into the blog posts we have here at d.ca, there is more then enough written documentation on performing. I think Martijn wrote 1 or 2 articles 'bout it.

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:11 am »
I didn't practice because I was injured, and thanks for the advice.
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:13:58 am »
I didn't practice because I was injured...

Well, that would have been helpful to know in the first post, as you give off the impression in that one that you just didn't bother to practice.

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:18:56 pm »
Okay, that makes it very simple for you, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't perform or practice when injured or recovering from injuries serious enough to interfere with your body's movement during practice or performance.

Recover, and slowly start playing again. Stop when you feel pain or when the symptoms returns, I would suggest you seek for medical attention on that, since I'm not a doctor.