Author Topic: inspiration  (Read 1933 times)

m1ck

inspiration
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:54:13 pm »
I have been doing diabolo about 2,5 years and the first 1,5 years i learn/invent new tricks like every day. Now all my friends stopped and like for a year i havent improve like nothing. I just don't learn new tricks. 3D i learn it a year ago but i can't do even 2-3 solid now.
So how do you guys invent new tricks or where do you get them?!? :D

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
Re: inspiration
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »
Try watching some diabolovideos, try learn some tricks from there and make variations. Just use your fantasy ;).
-Scharling

m1ck

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »
almost all new videos are only like 3d integrals and 2d integrals where the stick spins to 258 different directions :D

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:15:58 pm »
No not all :P. Check my newest video and get inspired, its on my youtube channel scharlingxd :)!

maxmaestro

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
No not all :P. Check my newest video and get inspired, its on my youtube channel scharlingxd :)!
sneeky advertising :P

mo3

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:46 am »
Extract taken from Hans Vanwynsberghe's free online Juggling Book:

Topic 3: Enlarge your creativity
Creativity is a very badly understood thing, because most creative people can explain little about it. Therefore it seems a divine thing that some of us or born with, and others not. Believe me, it’s quite different than it seems. Some are better at it than others, but everybody can improve and even learn it.
Creativity is nothing more than the power to make interesting things. And that power is nothing more than selection. It is selecting out of an endless number of possibilities such a combination of things that is interesting.
The thing is, to do so; you need a support, to canalize your creativity. You need a frame to work in, that’s all. I’ll give you some possible frames to work in. After a while, you should work without noticing the frame, as if it wasn’t there anymore. Most creative people cannot explain anything about how to be creative. They don’t realize how the process works. However in analyzing how they work, you always come up with frames, mostly lots of them. They have a starting point or a goal, a way of building ideas up, and selecting.
Then what is the best creative frame for a juggler? The perfect frame exists. It is the combination of all the frames, even the bad ones. And it works best if you don’t realize that you’re using it.
To improve your creativity, my central advice is to create as much as you can, and secondly to create in other frames, other methods and exercises. The exercises below give you different frames. Some like more organic things, others more mathematical things.
Training advice:
31. Make sure there’s a good ambience to create •   First of all believe in yourself. Always try to do your best. And always be proud on
what you do, even if the result sucks. •   Be focused but relaxed. Friends, good music, and some illegal things can help to get
relaxed, but to get focused too, relaxation exercises can be better. You can do whatever you want, close your eyes, shut up, yoga, stretching exercises,... Juggling technical things is focusing and relaxing to, but it will push you into technical directions when creating. Be aware of that. Solutions will be found with your hands, by catching and throwing, your creativity may drown in difficulty. Be aware of that. I don’t reject it, but you have to be aware of it.
•   Give yourself space when you practice. •   Training together with friends, in juggling clubs, on conventions, can be motivating
and it can be useful to know whether your creations or worth something.
32. The best idea is the easiest one. Don’t search difficulty, avoid it. Use your creativity not your skill to find answers to your problems. What ever routine you make, there will be enough difficult things to astonish the audience. A good routine has some technical, highlights, and nice creative results in between. This makes the line of tension high and teethed, while a non stop difficult thing is boring for every non-juggler, and for a lot of jugglers.
33. Create a lot. Even if the result sucks, be glad. Creating will make your next creations better. If you only want to make perfect things, you will get stuck into some ideas, and the result will be boring.
34. Enlarge your possibilities Creating is selecting. The more things out of which you can select, the more interesting possibilities there will be.
So train on knee catches, head balances, shoulder catches, pirouettes, contact tricks,..35. Get a wide view Creating is selecting, choosing out of all the possibilities those who are, interesting. The wider your view is, the more possibilities you consider, the more interesting possibilities there will be. Try always to find a new answer. Explore all the possibilities there are with a prop a body and a floor. A prop can be blocked, rolled, balanced, thrown, catched, dropped, bounced. You can do so with your hands, head, feet,... Two simple things to widen your view are these: 1)   Take any trick you want, and do the opposite. Try to search everything that could
be reversed. (Direction, spin, plane,...) 2)   Limit your possibilities extremely, and search in that really small space what is
possible, expand the possibilities gradually. See for an example in lesson 9: Jam- session and lesson 2.
36. Do a lot of research (and write good findings down) on tricks and moves. Limit your possibilities and search out of there. Take one ball and try to find out what’s possible with it. How, and with what limb can you catch it. Where can you balance it? How can you pick it up? Take one skill, lets say balancing a club, and search how and where you can try it. How can you get it there, and how can you get out of it? Take one movement, let’s say a half pirouette. Search different ways to turn. How can the ball move when you turn, Give it, throw it, bounce it, roll it,... Take one element of space, let’s say height. Take one position, let’s say holding three balls blocked between your legs, and search how to get into and out of that position. Search how to move while... Take one trick, search ...
37. Work on, on the ideas of your research (and write findings down), turn them into tricks. How could you do that catch when juggling? How can you do that with 3 clubs?
38. Search on tricks, make routines Put movement into tricks or put tricks on movements Search stops and starts for tricks. Get more expression in the trick: do it big, are afraid, with anger or joy. Search passages from one trick to another.
39. Look at yourself. Use camera, mirrors or friends (performers or jugglers) to get feed back.
40. Look at others Good and less good jugglers (or other performers). Look at how. Try to see how they have come to their result. What makes it strong, what weak? Question them if possible.
11. Create with short deathlines. Deathliness make it easier to chose and go on. This is very important. You can keep on searching but it is important to choose. To will help you create more, and that will help you on the long term to create better stuff.