Author Topic: New handsticks MB (Xtreme & Energy)  (Read 79159 times)

Sean

• Administrator
New handsticks MB (Xtreme & Energy)
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2005, 07:48:06 pm »

:cry:

Martijn

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2005, 07:51:41 pm »
No way! How did that happened? Poor you, I had that with my Energy stick. MB really needs a re-view on those sticks!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

keksie

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2005, 08:05:22 pm »
I lost my 2x babache beaches and henry's aluminum sticks (or well, i forgot them unwatched in a public place for some seconds and apparently someone liked them and decided to take them..), had to buy new diabolos and sticks.. well it was time to step up with the gear anyway.., took babache extremes and finesses
to the sticks.. to be honest i liked henrys alu sticks more than babaches, i like grinding, needless to say that the difference between beach & henrys alu and non-wide-axle finesse & babache xtreme is big.. the design of the babache stick (removable tip mainly) doesnt make me feel very confident of lasting long..
overall im happy with the finesses tho, just have to get more used to them, and get some money to buy wide axles and alu sticks and uhmm leds and all that other fancy stuff..

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2005, 08:31:32 pm »
wow, that sucks Sean. i finally bent my Xtreme sticks after many mishaps, this time it was my DVD rack who bent the sticks, it dented my kill bill DVD too. that'll teach me to control my temper.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2005, 09:40:16 pm »
Quote from: Martijn
No way! How did that happen?...

A double antisuicide. I suppose the stick must have nicked the floor. I didn't notice that though... all I noticed was the stick flying across the gym. Seeing as how that's the first stick I've broken in all my years of diaboloing I'm not too impressed with the design. Those sticks didn't have the typical problem with the end not being flush with the aluminum (unlike my other ones). Oh well, I still have a pair with the foam handles.

Say, has anyone had any luck getting the foam grips off? I might try and put my rubber grips on my working set. I'm a bit scared to try and get the rubber  grips off the electrical tape wrapped handle. Why on Earth did MB not make their final version like their prototype with handles that were solid colours and stayed on without tape!? At least they could sell the sheets you're supposed to put underneath to keep the handle from flying off. sigh. :)

Martijn

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2005, 09:58:07 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Say, has anyone had any luck getting the foam grips off?

Yes, I had to do that with my Energy stick (the broken one), cause MB only sent me sticks, no grips. It takes a lot of elbow grease to take the black foam handle of, but it is do-able. The black foam also needs tape to stay on the stick... rubbish.

Good luck with it!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2005, 02:41:24 pm »
I feel your pain Sean

Firetoys sent me a replacement set which was nice, I'm down the postage and the replacement set had the dreaded gap on both sticks so I'm waiting for them to break as well :(

Mr B will get a rep for bad quality control if he isn't carefull...

Ally inserts might be the way to go

fadge

« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2005, 07:24:45 pm »
hey sean,i saw the pic of ure broken sticks, this happened to me too. but i have found a way to fix them, if not make them stronger,

if u drill out the plastic from the sticks and the tip(which is awkward) u can then screw a bolt into the stick, if it is a tight fit, it creates its own thread(if u get me) then u saw off the bolt head and can file it down to smooth it out, then re-thread the very tip of it and you can then put the tips back on. mayby need some teflon tape to stop any un wanted unscrewing. but apart from that they are back to normal and alot stronger.

adam

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2005, 09:48:08 am »
See, now I knew some serious testing would be required on these sticks.  It's such shame MB spend so long releasing something, and then it's still not right (have I said this before).  As for the suggestion ahem, "Fadge" had, it would work if you were able to find a bolt to fit.  I'm guessing M10 x0.75 but I've never actually had a good look at one in person.

Tapping the aluminium tube with the bolt would be crass, but it could work.  Shame about the sticks though.  Shame I've not been able to develop mine more either.  Though after several weeks, the entirely nylon tip is holding up well.  No string cutting at all.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2005, 03:31:08 pm »
Quote from: Martijn

stupid energy sticks
my sticky also broke like this, not even a hard trick, just doing some around the arm stuff

Punkerpanda

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2005, 02:08:33 am »
I'm working on making glow in the dark(LED powered or something like that) handsticks, and while i was looking at mr babache's website, i discovered the x-treme transparent handsticks. ( http://www.jonglerie.com/en/news/ )
Initially i was thinking about using polycarbonate, but htat's what the energy sticks are out of, which makes them flexible.
My question is: does anybody know what the x-treme transparent handsticks are made out of?

my current guess is acrylic, but i could be wrong.

Mattias

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2005, 08:13:46 am »
My xtreme sticks broke thursday. I can't believe how stupid MB was for using that silly plastic thing for screwing the top onto. My friends sticks plastic thing got janked out and is now stuck in one of the top pieces, and my plastic thing just got broken in half. MB are total imbecils when it comes to sticks.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Punkerpanda

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2005, 09:50:58 pm »
You guys might find this interesting. I emailed mr babache yesterday about what material they use for their transparent x-treme sticks. I didnt really expect them to reveal it, but i thought i would give it a shot. well, i got this email back:

Hello Viktor,

We can not give you this information because we are making new sticks with
light inside and it is
hours of study to find the good material : sorry not helping you
I hope for you the best

Chrislaine Schambacher

-------------
mr babache glow in the dark handsticks. sounds intruiging doesnt it. I just hope they figure out a way to fix the tips.

anyway, just thought i would share that with you guys.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2005, 11:24:49 pm »
It does seem that manufacturers don't like letting people know what materials things are made of.  I guess it's kinda like knowing the ingredients of Coke (a cola).  I emailed Beard a while ago asking what material the knobs and ends of their clubs were made of or who they sourced material from, they said they couldn't tell me and hoped that helped.  Really, morons.  At least they replied.  I now know it's a type of EVA closed cell foam, now just need to find where you get some.

Chiok

Punkerpanda

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2005, 11:32:32 pm »
it does seem silly, but ont he other hand it's necessary to keep them alive. if everybody knew what their stuff was made out of, other companies could easily produce them aswell.

i just wish they'd told me. it would have made my search so much easier.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2005, 02:34:43 am »
Quote from: Punkerpanda
what material they use for their transparent x-treme sticks
Victor, maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the "transparent x-treme" sticks are the same aluminum stick with a clear handle.

Punkerpanda

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2005, 03:58:24 am »
oh yeah, now that you said it i can see it. *sigh* there must be a plastic out there that's not very flexible and wont break!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2005, 08:52:16 am »
Quote from: Punkerpanda
oh yeah, now that you said it i can see it. *sigh* there must be a plastic out there that's not very flexible and wont break!
That is unfortunately harder than you think.  When the sticks is somewhere between 8-10mm in diameter and 330mm long, there's a fair bit of moment on the end of the stick and not alot of material to take the load.  The usual "indestructible" and stiff plastics of polycarbonate and acrylic would probably all snap too easily in the harsh course of diaboloing.  All forms of nylon might be better but not clear and probably too bendy, as would PTFE (Teflon [glass-filled or not]).  

If you do see anything that's a clear plastic and might be strong enough, take a sample of it, it would be cool.

Chiok

frank0072

« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2005, 09:09:58 am »
I don't know if this is ontopic, but I'll try it anyway..

Does anybody know what material doesn't dent (good word?) when it hits concrete, like the tips of the MB-sticks. They get very rough edges when they hit the street, and that wears out the string very fast. I was wondering if there was a material that could resist such collisions and stay in it's normal shape, so the tips of the diabolo would be forever smooth, and string would nog wear out and break on the ends..
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2005, 12:51:31 pm »
I think what you're looking for is "a material harder than tarmac (or asphalt)".  And I do mean harder as in if two materials had a head-on collision, which one would have the dent in it?  The tips are made out of aluminium I'm guessing which isn't really very hard even when plated.  They'll always be little particles in the cement, concrete, tarmac or whatever you're practising over that could have a local hardness higher than the metal due to lil bits of glass or rock.

You could use steel and heat treat it to a superior hardness, but it'll be too heavy and if you do manage to nick it, it'll be a pointy cutting edge for your string.  Then there's the super material of Titanium, but good luck on finding a right sized piece and then machining it without dulling all your tools.

The tips on my sticks are nylon which are good because they've not once cut my string and not that harsh on my hubs.

Chiok