Author Topic: Henrys ball bearing Diabolo  (Read 9866 times)

JC

• Donator
Henrys ball bearing Diabolo
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
Last week I heared that Henrys will come out soon with a ball bearing Diabolo.
This will be based on the Circus and Vision Diabolo.
Additional there will be a upgrade kit available.
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Marko

• VotW Contributor
Re: Henrys ball bearing Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »
This is good news. I was happy for the way Circus with bearing kit worked when I tried Roman's (Trespace) diabolo way back. But please somebody get us some pictures so we get to see how this new diabolo looks like.  ::)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

JC

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:40 pm »

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:36:04 pm »
Lovely! Thank you Jürgen. As you can saw I blogged it straight away ;)

Audible Dodo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:00:07 pm »
wow that's in interesting break through, maybe Mr Babache will reconcider the long awaited evo kit 2  :)

Wis

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:00:17 am »
yumm, can't wait to try them. Thanks for the info
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

maxmaestro

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:12:57 pm »
this sort of fits into context. what's the difference between a vision and a circus?

JC

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »
Henrys Diabolo Vision   Width: 122 mm Diameter: 127 mm Weight: 235g

Henrys Diabolo Circus  Width: 140 mm Diameter: 130 mm Weight: 300g

The material of the cups is also different

seán_

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:57 am »
Henrys had some to try/buy at the BJC. The bearings are every bit as solid/smooth as you would expect from Henrys. Personally I think there is some fine tuning to do in relation to width/profile but the Henrys guys said they are looking into that with the feedback they are getting from Diaboloists. Potentially there might be a choice of widths to come in the future.

As JC mentions they can be bought as a kit for Circus or Visions or already fitted to either diabolo.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
Thanks for the report. Smoothness-wise, sound-wise, and length-of-spin-wise, would you put these closer to triple-bearing or single-bearing Sundias? Maybe somewhere in between? I'm assuming they are single bearing but with German/Henrys quality? No problems with the soft rubber cups and instability? If not, I wonder if that would still be true with older and slightly bent out of shape cups.

seán_

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 04:18:53 am »
They are smooth, very quiet, triple bearings and from talking to Henrys I think they believe they have a thing or two they could teach Sundia about bearing tech and manufacture. They've around 15 years of bearing experience from the yo yo side.

I didn't notice any stability problems from the cups of the Circus I tried but it was a new one. They spin for ever, stick and finger grinds until you are heartily bored of waiting for them to stop. The width and profile of the axle meant I was having some problems with yawing when doing 2 (but I'm not a fan of wide axles and bearings for 2d).

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 10:40:58 am »
After having a bit of a play with them I pretty much agree with seán_. I'm happy with the size of the axle, to begin with I found that they seemed to twist but that sorted itself out and must have been technique.

In conclusion i agree with seán_ :)

batel56

henrys circus with one way bearing?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »
i use a website for my diabolo equipment, and i found an ad for a henrys circus diabolo with what they call a free hub.  i looked into it and found that the free hub is a one way bearing and was wondering if anyone was getting this or if it is any good.

N.B.
i searched for a topic on this but couldn't find it.  please redirect me if the thread exists already
diabolo - trust us.  it isn't a cult

Jem

• VotW Contributor
Re: henrys circus with one way bearing?
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 05:17:17 pm »
No way!

I wonder how long they've been out for and whether ther're any good?

I found them here: http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Henrys_Circus_Diabolo_with_Free_Hub.html

"Henrys Circus Diabolo with Free Hub - Red

The Circus diabolos is one of our most popular large diabolos and now it can come with a super smooth one way bearing. The additional speed and extra long spin time make this not just an excellent diabolo to learn new tricks with but a great performance prop.

The shells are made of a firm but flexible "rubber like" material. The new Free Hub (one way bearing) installed in this diabolo runs really smoothly and quietly and has a wide axle making finger grinds a doddle.
The cups are the same as the original Circus so if you want to convert back to a fixed axle (sold separately) this can easily be done. "

seán_

Re: henrys circus with one way bearing?
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:38:01 pm »
Keep in mind the visions with free hubs.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 01:57:05 pm »
Indeed - I hadn't seen this thread previously.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:12 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone had any issues with the weight of the Circus with freehub? I have some old Circus cups so I was thinking of getting 2 sets of the the free hub but have reservations now based on the weight. I note they are between 292 - 330g - I find Flys heavy enough at 280g but I'm thinking if they spin forever a bit of extra weight won't matter. Having said this I don't suppose 20g makes much difference (i.e. the difference between Flys and Circus free hub.)

Anyone?  :P

Thanks

JC

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:14 am »
The weight of a Henrys Vision with Free Hub is 255g,
and 295g for the Henrys Circus with Free Hub.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »
Okay so I took the plunge and purchased some freehubs, fitting them to two of my old Circus diabolos.

I think the bearings are great - they spin for as long as Sundia triple bearings and are more silent. They look good, feel very sturdy and are very well sealed. If you can sense a "but" coming on here it is: IMO these bearings do not suit the Circus diabolo for 2D. They yaw so much (one more than the other) to the point I'm having to continuously correct making tricks so much harder. These problems simply do not arise when I'm using Fly's. This lack of stability just means I can't use them for 2D.

I know the above doesn't paint a good picture and don't get me wrong, the Circus is a great diabolo but I just can't help thinking it wasn't designed with the new triple bearings in mind (also considering the Circus is some 20 years old and the design has never changed - I have one from 1994 to prove it!)

What I'm considering now is buying 2 x Visions and putting the bearings in them. I get the feeling the Visions will not have the same stability problems - can anyone verify this / is anyone using 2D Visions with the triple bearing kit?

Thanks.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:00 pm »
I played with some visions with bearing kits in them when I was at Butterfingers recently, and they required correction almost all the time as well (from 1d-3d). I wouldn't place your hopes on the visions being much better, Jem.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »
I want to have a go on 1d vertax on these new bearing Circuses at EJC. Let's see how well they can take my expectations. Would be bummer if it was not as good as Roman's mod I've already tried...

JC, are you by any chance selling these bearing things at EJC? I would love to support you by buying one in white.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »
I played with some visions with bearing kits in them when I was at Butterfingers recently, and they required correction almost all the time as well (from 1d-3d). I wouldn't place your hopes on the visions being much better, Jem.

Thanks Duncan although I am somewhat gutted!
Marco - what's Roman's mod out of interest?

Edit: Since the above post I've modded my old G3's with the bearings and performance is much better although still some tilt / yaw with 2d (but not as much so I'm going to stick with it a bit.)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »
I meant the one's Roman & Petronella (Tre'space) are using. That one didn't have revokit like poles in. It looked like normal Circus with lighter hubs but the small piece was a clutch bearing.

Had only one go quite long ago so I can't really compare it to Fly's. It definitely had more of a fixed axle feeling on the string than a sundia has.

seán_

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 10:56:05 pm »
At the BJC I shared my thoughts with the Henrys guys re the profile/yawing I'm hoping that they might have looked into this. Anyone going to the EJC should pop along to their stall and give them a try and share your thoughts. (My initial thoughts that if they weren't going to change the profile and width then a groove to centralise the diabolo might be the way to go.)

seán_

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:15 pm »
The profile has been changed (from the ones for sale at the EJC), they seem less prone to yawing now.

I think the general opinion is that these marry well with the Vision diabolo (weight wise)