Author Topic: Horizontal (excalibur) videos and ideas?  (Read 11301 times)

Matt

• VotW Contributor
Horizontal (excalibur) videos and ideas?
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:40:07 am »
Hi everyone!

I've been working on the horizontal plane style and I'm making some progress.  Does anyone know where any Tr'espace videos are online?

Also, is there anyone out there that has this style down solid and would be willing to do some private discussion (or in this forum, of course) on the subject?  

Cheers!
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Horizontal videos and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:24:07 am »
Quote from: Matt
I've been working on the horizontal plane style and I'm making some progress.  Does anyone know where any Tr'espace videos are online?

Horizontal diabolo style is referred to as excalibur in France, I believe. There is a TONNE of information on jongle.net about it. What kind of questions do you have about it... I may be able to do some key research and translation. :wink:

Is Tr'espace made up of Roman Muller and Petronella? If so I know of the following video. I got it from this thread on jongle.net. The link would now appear to be dead. I think it was some footage that Diabolumberto put up and later included in his EJC diabolo video. You may have already seen this video, Matt, but I mirrored it for a while in case anyone is interested. I hope I don't offend anyone involved with this video by rehosting it - I'll gladly take it down if that's so.

http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/excalibur.mpg (7.4mb)

There may be some more footage of them in Diabolumberto's EJC 2004 diabolo video. I seem to remember seeing a clip of them on stage at the EJC as well, although I can't remember which video that was.

Did you see the Brussels freestyle video of Thierry? I seem to remember him doing a routine of almost entirely excalibur diabolo.

Can't say I have many excalibur moves down solid yet. I can get into the position and do the occasional sun, but that's about it. Antonin is pretty impressive with excalibur stuff - hopefully he can show off some stuff in Vegas.

My dream trick for the future (and for Arjan too, I know) is the excalibur s-fan. Yeah - that's a nasty trick to get into. :roll:

Sean

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 06:23:14 am »
Wow :shock: that is pretty cool!  How do you get the diabolo started in that plane?  I'd like to see two, excalibur style.

Julian

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:33:16 am »
you can downlaod the 10 freestyle of bruxelle there is one guy who try to do 2 diabolo in excaibur :D!! i mean TRY :D

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:52:36 pm »
Quote from: |}{|  Julian  |}{|
How do you get the diabolo started in that plane?

The most common way is by using a chinese whip and tilting the diabolo mostly with your left hand (if you're right handed) by rubbing that side of the string along the far cup while you bring your right hand closer to you. Although there are lots of videos of it, I can't think of any good short examples that are still on the net right now. There were some examples in the Brussels freestyle videos. I still have to talk to Diabolumberto about rehosting some of those. I'll get to it... really. ;)

Sean

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 03:11:54 pm »
Hey, I try it too sometimes. I can get my diabolo pretty horizontal, but don't know what to do when I unwrap my diab.. tricks..? what kind of suns.... knots, whip catches :shock: It's just too difficult, I can't control my diabolo when I unwrap.. (But, I'll just keep on trying :wink: )
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 04:48:39 pm »
Thanks Sean and everyone!

The video that you posted Sean was the one I was looking for.  I had seen it before but I didn't save it.  This time I saved it and have been studying their hand positions and posture.  Gorgeous movements and control, eh?  

After pulling Norbi's 2 diabolo genocide, this excalibur stuff is next on my list (given that 3 diabolos is still driving me mad).

MattF

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 06:22:34 pm »
thats a really nice style. I think i will put it on the 'to do' list  :D

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 01:24:15 am »
Today:

Pulled the excalibur suns between arms, behind back, suicide, and genocide (from the video--pulled it twice).  

I am LOVIN' diabolo these days.  

Thierry's video from Brussels is an excellent starter video, as he does a ton of the basic moves with variations.  The only things from his video I haven't been able to do yet is the throw/catch thing at 3:27, the umbrella (burly), and the magic knot at 4:06 (what the heck is he doing there?).  

Guys (and gals), this is the most fun I've had with a diabolo in a while.  I remember seeing Christoph and Andy P. at EJC 2003 doing excallibur and thinking "WHOA...What the HELL is that?!!!?".  

If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it.  Just watch out for your face :P

seán_

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 03:12:15 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Quote from: |}{|  Julian  |}{|
How do you get the diabolo started in that plane?

The most common way is by using a chinese whip and tilting the diabolo mostly with your left hand (if you're right handed) by rubbing that side of the string along the far cup while you bring your right hand closer to you.

Sean

And the less common way?

Seán_

Eduardo

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 04:25:51 pm »
Maybe Antonin's start on the beginning of that MFP video at Carvin Open Stage
(By the way, its Antonin right? :P)

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 04:35:14 pm »
Yes, the one starting excalibur diabolo is Antonin. The other guy is Eric. Both amazing diabolo players, especially 1 diabolo.

juggleBG

Excalibur Infinite Suicide?
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 11:54:54 pm »
Hi, this is my first post.  I toss juggle much more than I diabolo (I don't own a diabolo) but I often borrow my friends' diabolos and have a trick question.  I can do the basic excalibur moves (thank's for the vid sean), and am curious about the horizons of this style of move.  I was wondering if it would be possible to do an infinite suicide overhead with excalibur.  It would probably require an outside frontwrap and would lose speed pretty fast.  Has anyone done this?  Any tips?  Thanks in advance.

Alex

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 05:42:38 am »
I don't know if doing it above your head would be possible, what with the diabolo coming down and everything.

But if you tried it above you (maybe below you, jumping over the string?) the string would be rubbing against the cup.  Maybe you could use this to change back into regular diabolo style?

As soon as the snow melts, I'm going to be trying excalibur style.  Looks fun.  :)

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 06:54:02 am »
BTW. I found out that at least Finesses (G1) with wide axels it´s much harder to get diabolo in horizontal plane than with normal axels.  

I can catch excalibur suicide (or is it genocide?) but I can´t catch the stick anymore. It stops (tangles) the diabolo in the second it get to the string...

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 10:33:08 am »
Quote from: Elmeri
BTW. I found out that at least Finesses (G1) with wide axels it´s much harder to get diabolo in horizontal plane than with normal axels.

Yes, it's harder to do excalibur with a wide axled Finesse. Not impossible, though. If you are working on excalibur tricks with Finesses (G1 or G2, doesn't matter), you'd better put the normal axles on.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Vojtas

Excalibur tricks
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 01:47:20 pm »
Can anyone give me some idea what else should I in excalibur? I can do stopovers, suns (I can also jump over the sun) and I'm trying whip, but it's just SO difficult...

btw. I'm sorry about my english - I'm from Czech Rep.
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 01:20:13 am »
The alternative way of starting, which is how Antonin starts it I believe, is thus:
1. Wrap the diabolo, and when doing circular propulsion/chinese orbits move your right hand stick forward when the diabolo is at the top of the circle.  This should cross the string over itself around the axle.
2. Move both sticks to one hand and give the diabolo a little jump (jerk the sticks up a bit).
3. The diabolo should catch on itself and roll right up the string, make sure you stop it before the top or else it gets all twisted.
4. Turn the diabolo 180 degrees clockwise, place it on a level surface (a table, the floor, whatever), and switch the sticks so that the one that was in your right is now in your left, and vice versa.
5. Pull the sticks apart, unwrapping the diabolo like a top, it should end up wrapped and horizontal, spinning fast.  Continue the regular excalibur motion.

On another note, where can I find the brussels excalibur video?
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Punkerpanda

Excalibur advanced tricks
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 02:28:47 am »
at mondo i finally got excalibur basics down, i can do the 4 basics suns(normal, over head, under arm, through the arms), stop overs, the whip, and i'm starting to learn the genocide. i was wondering what other easy tricks there are that i could work on cause i really like this style.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 05:25:06 am »
Viktor/Mr. Panda...  I merged your message to this thread where some ideas have been discussed.

Here's my favourite so far that I just learned tonight (and was suggested to me by Matt (Hall) a while ago:

Put both sticks in one hand and swing the diabolo around your body in suns... now try jumping over the diabolo as you swing it around, now put both sticks back in your hands and resume acceleration. Pretty cool feeling and not that hard. :)