Author Topic: Off-balance diabolos  (Read 14526 times)

diabololi

Off-balance diabolos
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:21:56 pm »
I use Henry's jazz diabolos, but I find that when I'm doing a 2 diabolo shuffle, they get out of line really quickly. So I'm constantly having to correct them even though they are spinning quite fast.

Also, when I use the wrap start, I have to point the wrapped diabolo inwards because it naturally turns outwards when it's in the wrap.

I have tried other diabolos and they seem to stay straight better.

Is there a way to fix my diabolos (if there is anything wrong!).
If not, then any reccomendations on a couple of new ones?

Thanks you guys
Oli

barnesy

• Administrator
Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 04:33:37 pm »
Smaller diabolos are more difficult for two.  If your jazz look OK and undamaged, they probably are OK.  

As for diabolo recommendations, I'll recommend a thread instead!   :)
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3

seán_

Re: Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 04:41:32 pm »
Quote from: diabololi

... when I use the wrap start, I have to point the wrapped diabolo inwards because it naturally turns outwards when it's in the wrap.

This happens because of the wrap, it isn't really a problem if you know how far to turn it towards you. However if you give it a good spin you might find that you don't need to turn it inwards

Seán_

Arjan

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 04:41:59 pm »
I also used jazz-es diabolos. Sometimes the axle was stuck tilted inside. Hard to explain with my english, but unscrew your diabolo`s and check them. Them screw them back together, but not to tight. This could cause damage, and make the axle even smaller.

diabololi

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:31:07 pm »
Does anybody know the price of the new finesse diabolo? Or when it's coming out? Or where I can get it from (UK)?

Thanks
Oli

barnesy

• Administrator
Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:00:17 pm »
Have you spotted this thread: http://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=11?  It doesn't look like anyone can answer your question just yet.

seán_

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:02:58 pm »
Come on Oli, get with the program

Finesse Generation #2

not everyone will read your post about wobbly diabolos, therefore you might not get an answer.
step one, read the posts related to your thought.
If its answered, great, if not then maybe add to that post. that way the board wont get clogged up with the same posts over and over again.
If it hasnt been covered then post a new thread, more power to you.

for example your point about having your jazz turning on wrap starts would have been an excellant point for
Starting and correcting 2 diabolos so in the future if somebody is learning two this information would be easy to see.

diabololi

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
Sorry, I'll think more before I post next time  :oops:

seán_

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 07:49:46 pm »
No worries Oli, Its just that if were not carefull posts fail to be usefull and we end up with a mess (which Sean, Barnesy or me have to try and put right ;) )

Seán_

Harlequins spinning wobbly
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 06:51:01 pm »
I have a question for anyone who uses Harlequins.  Do your diabolos spin perfectly smooth?  I have two Harlequins and both of them have always spun slightly out of true.  Sometimes it's just a slight vibration, other time it's more of a wobble.  After trying different diabolos, I've realized that mine don't spin true enough.  A few times I've tried unscrewing the cups and rotating them to balance the diabolo, but it never seems to work very well.  Anyone experience this?  Thanks!

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 07:03:55 pm »
If by untrue you mean they slowly turn, one option is to place a small flat metal washers just inside the bolt so that it is balanced. I did this with a friend who had untrue Yoho diabolos. It took a long time to find just the right size washer to straighten it out, but in the end it worked.

OK, upon rereading your question I think you are talking about straight wobblng. This is probably from cups that aren't quite round any more. You can try filling the cups with water that is just below boiling point and leaving it for 5 or 10 minutes. This will fix some problems. Watch out for the suction you can create on the bottom cup with the flat surface though. I've had to pry some diabolos off the counter with a knife!

seán_

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 07:04:58 pm »
I don't know if this is just an old wives tale but I picked up from somewhere that you can sort out some wobble problems by filling the cups with hot water.  Probably something to do with the memory of the material. anybody any thoughts or experiance of this?

Sean

• Administrator
Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 07:07:50 pm »
Quote from: seán_
I don't know if this is just an old wives tale but I picked up from somewhere that you can sort out some wobble problems by filling the cups with hot water.

Darn - you're faster than my edit! ;) Yes it has worked for me. Doesn't fix really bad problems but does fix some. But don't forget and leave a cup filled over night. It does bad oxidizing things to the previously nice shiny washer. :(

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 07:10:34 pm »
Yes, I'm talking about a straight wobble.  The diabolos don't turn, but they wobble and cause a vibration in the handsticks.  Thanks for the tip you guys, I'll give it a try.  :)

Julian

kragen

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 01:09:44 am »
one thing I do know about the harlequins...

Its possible to speed them up so fast that they start going insane and wobbling all over the place...

I cant say ive noticed much "wobble" at normal speeds though.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Arjan

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 01:20:04 am »
Indeed, they can get overspeeded. The edges can start to damage or tare(?) at those speeds

Martijn

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 12:40:58 pm »
If I take my old Harlequin midi and speed it up, it goes insane and wobbles all over the place... Not a real good diabolo :? With my Henry's Circus I can continue speeding up and it stays straight all the time! My Circus never wobbled! :) (Much better diabolo :P )
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

kragen

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 09:02:28 am »
Ive heard people say "because its heavy when its going fast it looses is gyroscopic abilities", myself I dont buy it, there is no reason (that I can see) why that would happen randomly at high speed.

Its more likely to do with the flexible cups.

Seeing as it took me a bout a miniute to speed it up that fast, im not too worried, :)
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 06:12:52 pm »
Hi,

I think i have the same problem with an Henry's Circus. I've bought it a few weeks ago. When I came home I noticed that it wasnt compleete stable. I told this to the guy in the shop where I bought it. He said he never heard of this problem before, but he gave me a new diabolo.

This one was somewhat more stable, but at some higher speeds (not extreme high) the sticks wil vibrate...

Can i solve this problem by filling the cup's with hot water as well?

And should i remove the axle (and other metal parts) or isnt that nessicary?

Martijn

Off-balance diabolos
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 06:48:27 pm »
Quote from: zzzzzzzzzzzz
This one was somewhat more stable, but at some higher speeds (not extreme high) the sticks wil vibrate...

Isn't that just normal? At high speed the diabolo rotates very fast, and the string vibrates a bit... that's why your handsticks vibrate to.. I think it's normal...
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl