Author Topic: Fyrefli axle mods  (Read 1448 times)

wmjbyatt

Fyrefli axle mods
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »
I just picked up a Fyrefli Comet and gave it a couple burns, but I'm having some trouble with the play: the dinky fixed axle along with the added friction of the kevlar string makes the spin sort of hairy. It's unstable and slows down WAY too fast. Thus I wonder: has anyone tried modding out the axles to something wider or (even better) something with a bearing? Do we think this is strictly possible? I intend to give it a try, but if anyone else has experience, learning from your work would be delicious.

Isei

Re: Fyrefli axle mods
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:38 am »
I feel that the most relevant thing to remember when using a fire diabolo is that you're juggling *fire*.  This sort of thing is inherently dangerous, and should be treated as such.

When I perform with fire diabolo (especially in public), I find that constant motion is the most crowd-pleasing.  I usually start on the ground, work into a loop acceleration, and then go through orbits and over the arm and over the leg combos.  If it's still burning at this point (which it usually isn't, due to the short burn time), I'll finish with an elevator or infinite suicides, since I've practiced them way too much at this point to mess them up.

The point of this style of performance is that everything you do will accelerate the diabolo, all the way from orbits to infinite suicides.  What's more, the audience will be more impressed by these simple tricks than other things you could do-- they don't care if you can tie some ridiculously complicated magic knot or string trick, they're paying attention to the fire, and want to see it move around.  If you can master that sort of simple motion with it, the fact that it slows down quickly won't be an issue. 

I've had some problems with the unstable nature of these diabolos as well, caused by what I would assume is the movement of the fuel, minor bends from drops when hot metal hits the ground, and simply a less solid model (holes in the cups make it much less stable).  To me, this is just one more reason to stick to simple, crowd-pleasing tricks-- you're less likely to hurt yourself or other people.

This may not have been the sort of answer that you were looking for, but I find it's the style that fire diabolo demands.  I wouldn't even want a bearing on an already fragile model of diabolo, as it would seem to be a waste of time and money. 

Good luck with your performances!

wmjbyatt

Re: Fyrefli axle mods
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »
Thanks, and I will certainly take your advice into account. To help contextualize my aims, however, I should probably point out that this is only minimally about the crowds for me. I am significantly more interested in the moment of flow, the personal focus and immersion required in spinning fire. I want to work on the axle to open up my own space of movement. If, however, you think that adding a wider or axled bearing will DECREASE stability, then I'll look into another direction. Stability is really the key here.