Author Topic: Grippy Strings?  (Read 3764 times)

Sinjin

Grippy Strings?
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:31:21 pm »
Hi im Sinjin, im new here. I'm only 13years old and can do a fair amout of tricks. One problem i have is that my strings sem a bit grippy and when i wrap them around my diabolo to get more speed or for some tricks the diabolo will get caught on the string and shoot into my stick. I hope you get what im on about and i would like to know what can i do to stop this happeneing? Is is a regular thing for anyone else?
Thnkx

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:52:58 pm »
welcome to the forum, there are a lot of threads on this topic already use the search button on the top of the page to help find them. My advice is to get some Henry's yellow string which wears into a perfect state after a while although its very slippy to start with.

Hope this helps,

Leo
Behind your back is your front.

KaTurN

Grippy Strings?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:45:37 am »
this is because you tighten the loop around your diabolo (usualy from chinese whipping) try changeing your string and dont give me this henrys string i use string from home depot number 8 or maybe 18 braided mason line works fine

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:40:59 am »
Also I've found it is down to your basic technique as well, when you have a wrap the string is put just off centre at each side of the diabolo axel.  If you're holding the sticks in such a way that the string is angled slightly towards the centre again it is far more likely to wrap up than if its angled away from the centre.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:19:16 am »
Sorry Katurn i just recommend Henry's string. I tried to find Mason line a couple of months ago but I was to lazy to look for it.

Sinjin

Grippy Strings?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 04:33:08 pm »
thnkxs
one more question what other websites would sell diabolo cus i only know one
bye

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 04:36:38 pm »
http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/ but there are more aswell.

Sinjin

Grippy Strings?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 09:21:42 pm »
Guppy i looked at the ones listed for my area and none did any spesific strings avalable

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 09:33:09 pm »

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 08:34:30 pm »
If the string is to grippy or old, just put a TINY bit of water, the merest of bits of water, if you put to much, the string will act like those crappy string that come along free with your diabolo from higgins bros. (no offense).  From personal experience, going outside a day after is rained was a little to wet for me (moisture in the air)

J_J777

Mithew

Grippy Strings?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 09:45:54 pm »
Quote from: J_J777
If the string is to grippy or old, just put a TINY bit of water
J_J777

If you put water on it, it works well...for around ten minutes.  Its an okay temporary fix, but doesn't do anything long term.  For me when it's sticky, usually it gets better after a practice or two
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

tomangleberger

• Donator
Grippy Strings?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 08:27:07 pm »
Quote from: KaTurN
dont give me this henrys string i use string from home depot number 8 or maybe 18 braided mason line works fine

You just saved me big bucks! i was about to order Henry's string, since Lowes didn't have what i needed. i saw your post, went ot Home Depot and found yellow, pink & white #18 string, just like you said. It works great. thanks!

Since I have a lifetime supply now, I'd be glad to send a sample to anybody who doesn't have a home depot nearby.