Author Topic: Hand pains  (Read 7763 times)

fredo

Hand pains
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 02:35:29 pm »
thecstrange thing is that you have pain on both thumbs...maybe it's your technique, as you said...try to do especially whipping and any other acceleration parts smoother...

And I wouldn't recommend holding the stick nearer the string... when holding more at the back, the force(right word???) could be softened a bit by your wrist (do not exaggerate, otherwise, you'll get an inflammation at the wrist)

For me, it sound more like a cramp...maybe you put your thump on the stick in a not so good way? or you do the acceleration moves with your thumb only (the whole power is from the thumb)? Or just try not to hold your stick too hard :wink:

Ian

Hand pains
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 03:37:37 pm »
Yeah. Thanks for the input, Fredo.

I'll try adjusting my grip and see whether that improves things or not. I noticed in the Diabology video that JiBe holds his sticks really loose. I'll try a few things and see what happens. I really don't want to give up the Diab but it does get pretty painful :(

fredo

Hand pains
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 11:40:51 pm »
And if possible, just try out some henry's fibre or even MB energies...

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Hand pains
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 11:48:12 pm »
You probably just need to get used to the stuff. When i was first working on excalibur genocides, I remember that my right wrist hurt so badly after one practice that I couldnt practice the next day. Your muscles just need to heal, and you should also try using the icing method on the place it hurts. Just get some ice on your hand for like 10 to 20 minutes for maybe 4 or 5 times a day and it should really help it out. Then again, this might not work with a hand as it does a leg.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

seán_

Hand pains
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 01:10:42 am »
I talked to Physio Monkey (Alan is a qualified physiopherapist who is part of the UK juggling scene) about my back at a workshop he held at Leeds convention. I also brought up wrist pain. In my case he sugested that the motion I used for accelerations was not a natural motion for the joints/muscles involved. Some of the advice was to mix the methods that I use to accelerate.

Anyhow Alan has a blog thats worth checking out
http://physiomonkey.blogspirit.com/
He offers advice for free via email but asks that you read what he has to say on his blog first especially the 'about me' section.

He also has some interesting thoughts to offer about warmups and the downside of streching. It would ne nice maybe to get some of his thoughts on diabolo specific injuries.

jacky

Hand pains
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 05:41:16 pm »
maybe u guys should try to wear a glove then your hand would not be pain while u doing diabolo but it will decrease the feeling of the handsticks.

Diabolo88

• Donator
Hand pains
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 07:03:30 pm »
Oh, and what do people use as a warmup before starting with the Diabolo? Do people use hand excercises without using a prop or just more gentle Diabolo tricks?
wasn´t this discussed in some other thread (I might be mistaken). Maybe someone who´s "mastered" the searchengine knows? I like to wharm up with whip-duicide/genocide tricks (possibly with pirouettes) since that gets the pulse going. Maybe a few rotations of arms, shoulders, waist etc. as well. But, those can all be implemented into some easy tricks.

He also has some interesting thoughts to offer about warmups and the downside of streching. It would ne nice maybe to get some of his thoughts on diabolo specific injuries.
Downside of stretching? For real? I´ve been stretching for a year and I can do the splits now while before I could hardly touch my toes.

I find this thread interesting since I  myself often experience pain in many different places depending on what I´m working on. Right now it´s shoulder and neck pains from doing three high mostly. Anyone got any ideas on this? I want to go for 500 throws, but when I get to about 150-200 I just get overwhelmed with pain. Is this something that will disappear with time or should I join a gym and build on my shoulders or something?

When i was first working on excalibur genocides, I remember that my right wrist hurt so badly after one practice that I couldnt practice the next day.
How would you get wristpains by those? I can do about 10-15 continously in separate runs and keep it up for an hour without any pain at all. Are you sure it´s not causesd by the accelration?

Sorry for the long post :?

seán_

Hand pains
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 01:40:13 am »
Quote from: Diabolo88
Downside of stretching? For real? I´ve been stretching for a year and I can do the splits now while before I could hardly touch my toes.

Read his blog, he doesnt have a problem with stretching per se, in fact he recomends it as part of a daily routine to increase flexibility. He does point out however that it is not really a good thing to do as a warm up

Quote from: physiomonkey
Stretching as a warm-up actually reduces your muscles' ability to respond as well as it could if you hadn't stretched it out.  This means that, not only does this NOT reduce your injury risk, it also drops yours performance level.  It's about a 6% loss of ballistic power.  This doesn't seem a lot but, if you're performing at the far limit of your ability, doing your hardest stuff, it can easily be the difference between success and failure.  It has been described as "the difference between winning a gold medal and not getting onto the podium".

This is getting away from the wrist pain problems though.