Author Topic: fire diabolos  (Read 1296 times)

wxyzsupermod

fire diabolos
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:41 am »
thinking of getting a fire diabolo and was wondering how long the burn wich one to get and how do you put them out

wmjbyatt

Re: fire diabolos
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »
I have both a Firefli Meteor and the Gora modification kit for a FInesse G4.

I found the Firefli to be prohibitively difficult to play. The weight and size of the diabolo made it unstable, and its all-metal construction requires the use of fire string during play, which snags on itself and doesn't move very well.

The Gora kit, on the other hand, was fantastic. Burn times are probably on the order of two minutes or so, which was admittedly not as long as I'd've liked, but still acceptable. That's long enough to make a splash at a fire jam and long enough to get into the fire's flow. The play was fantastic (it is, after all, a Finesse): I felt confident doing all my over-body orbits, grinds (including finger grinds), suns, even some body-play and simple chinese and normal suicides. I never had the steel to attempt any big suicides or genocides, nor vertax, but that stuff was really more than enough for both my flow and the crowd's oohs and aahs.

Caveat, however: I had spun my Gora-modified Finesse maybe ten times when, on one burn, I lit the wicks without checking overflow into the Finesse's cups (normally I trusted spilled fuel to evaporate or get evacuated during spin-off). There was some fuel that had spilled into the cups. That spillover lit, charred and burnt the Gora kit's fireguards and warped the **** out of one of the Finesse's cups. The diabolo, kit and otherwise, is now basically unplayable.

So far as putting them out goes, I usually just let them burn out, but I used classic fire-toy fire safety protocols, as well: I kept a safety on hand with a wet towel, and I did have the safety smother the flame with a wet towel once. You'll want a safety who has actually done that kind of stuff before, since it's a little more complicated than smothering, say, poi or a staff, but the principle is the same.

Isei

Re: fire diabolos
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »
I just got a FireFli Comet about a month ago.  Really, I love it.  You do have to worry a little bit about the string getting tangled, but careful diaboloing should fix that problem.  I don't do anything really difficult with it-- mainly suns, satellites, and some high tosses, but I find it works great for that.  I'm told it's a large improvement on the Meteor, and so far, I haven't had any problems with it.