Author Topic: Performance Tips  (Read 1943 times)

Egad!

Performance Tips
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:18 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen.  In little less then one year, I will likely be performing at the MadFest stage show.  The only problem is that I have never performed on a stage before, nor have I ever came up with a routine before.  The show is going to be a glow show with led kits.  I have all of the necessary equipment at my disposal (thanks to mom and dad from christmas).  I'm looking to set it to some techno music and encompass 1 and 2 diabolos.  I have no idea how long the performance should be, nor do I know a song.  Regardless, those are things I can figure out on my own.  Knowing all of the marvelous performers on here, would somebody be so kind as to give a 15 year old kid some tips on his first stage performance?  I'm nervous being on such a big stage with well over one thousand people watching and I almost feel like this is over my head.  Nevertheless, I am determined to rock this performance.  -Sean Looby

Pickles are cucumbers in their ultimate form!

Mediaboy13

Re: Performance Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »
Hi there!

I performed for my 1st time with my friend last week at a school assembly in front of 1000 people, so i will try and give you some tips.
Try and come up with a basic outline for a rountine. Just think of some easy tricks that people will enjoy (but always start and finish with an eye-catching hard trick like Excalibur, integrals, double sprinklers, hyperloops etc), or if you can't think of many easy tricks try make a simple combo that is smooth and continuous.
So far the rountine should be something like this:
-Opening trick (one of the hardest you know, but make it a 1D trick to start)
-3-5 simple tricks or a small combo (take this slow to stretch out the routine abit)

Next add in 2 diabolo. If your performing for a non-juggler audience hold up the 2nd diabolo above your head showing the audience that much can be done with a "toy" and sticks/string (if it is a juggling/diabolo audience just start 2d).
Throw or wrap start the 2nd diabolo and gain some speed and hold the shuffle for afew seconds. Make sure you know around 5 2d tricks that are smooth and you can do easily (suicides, leg-stalls, inverse-trapezes, hook-stalls etc). You can perform these 1 by 1 with a shuffke in between or as a longer eye-catching combo.

When you are finished with 2 exit the shuffle by tossing the diabolo back up and catching in your hand. Afterwards do some harder 1d tricks (infinite suicides is always a crowd pleaser, mini-gens, genocides etc), probably no more than 3. Then for the finalle.
The final trick or tricks should be the hardest you know and a good eye-catcher is always excalibur (vertax) tricks. Go up towards the front of the stage and do an excalibur sun combo or something similar (but when doing vertax tricks like genocides, cup-gring whip catchs move back because you don't want a diabolo hitting someone in the auidence (happend at our show :O)). When you are finished walk to the front and take a bow.

This is just what my friend and I did (i didn't include any passing or 3d), you can adjust whatever you like as this is just a basic structure.

I think a diabolo performance should be longer than 5 minutes (unless a special event or you are asked otherwise). We used 2 Skrillex songs (not my choice) but techno/dubstep music seems great for live performances (especially with lights).

Final tips:
Practice your rountine and know it off by heart.
Try and have 1 drop maximum.
Take your time when performing, don't rush, take it slow and go through each trick smoothly.
Before performing take some deep breaths, drink some water and make sure your hands aren't sweaty (#1 cause for drops in performnaces i think are nerves).
Have a back-up plan if you stuff up (we had etra diabolo pyramids on each side othe the stage so if one of us mucked up we could just grab another diabolo. Also have a pare pair of sticks or string incase of serious knots or string snaps).

Well thats it (really sorry for length of post), but i hope it helps. :D

-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.