Author Topic: Introducing the Diabolo Trick Exhibition for 2005  (Read 19693 times)

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
Introducing the Diabolo Trick Exhibition for 2005
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2005, 07:47:43 pm »
As far as different styles go, I think you could add Traditional Chinese style to that too.

French style (for people wanting to be mad and in a posse)
Japanese style (the whole "cramming in the tricks" type thing, I guess)
American style (Matt Hallesque agresive style?)
EuroJap (not sure about this one)
Chinese (acrobatics and passing between 4-12 small girl diabolists)
Street style (string climbs and throwing it really, really high!)

I'm not sure if "British" style means just doing daft tricks, but I like that idea. I think if you have ever invented your own variations on "Milking the Cow" you can say you practice "British Style" diabolo. I know I am a master of the stupid trick! When I release my new montage video including Hammerhead Infinite Suicides and Rocket Assist Airlift Starts you'll all be ****ting yourself.
Luke

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2005, 08:28:38 pm »
what about canadian? how about Sean!

i dont think there is an american style, kind of like how there isnt American food. i mean, we technically invented corn dogs (world's fair in Chicago) so does that mean we can claim a tiny chunk of "aggressive" diabolo?

i dont know, i guess it depends on where you draw influences from. i get influence from Matt Hall/Antonin/Eric the most, hence why i love fingergrinds/infinite suicides/genocides i suppose. but do i have an american style? i dont know. sadly the American diabolo scene isnt very prevalent :(

Boxthor

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2005, 08:38:59 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
sadly the American diabolo scene isnt very prevalent :(

Exactly the reason for doing things like this in the first place.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2005, 10:28:40 pm »
i think a lot more needs to be done to spread diaboloing than showing some yoyo-ers how to diabolo, you know what i mean? the diabolo scene in america is low because of historical tradition, i mean look at europe, so many europeans were playing with the diabolo as a toy, not to mention all the diabolo companies and juggling shops they have...and there are no NA diabolo companies, and i only know of one juggling shop in the bay area...

i wish it were possible to build up a scene, i'm getting tired of diaboloing by myself all the time :P

Boxthor

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2005, 11:03:52 pm »
I don't know what you mean. People at a yo-yo contest are obviously interested in things spinning on a string, so if they're introduced to diabolo and shown some of the things you can do with it, won't some of them eventually pick it up? Then eventually they'll get good, and inspire more people to pick it up, and hopefully it'll spread and get as big as yo-yo over here. I think you'd get much better results showing a diabolo to 100 yo-yoers than to 100 random people.

How would you suggest you spread Diabolo, seeing as you can't really change historical tradition?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2005, 11:29:29 pm »
WJF!  ESPN2!  Ooops, that wasn't meant to come out...

I think diabolo at a yoyo comp would be a good beginner audience as I started with a yoyo years ago, left it, did a bit of diabolo, did yoyo big time and then left it to do diabolo big time.  It does get yoyoers interested I think, especially with the whole 4A 5A styles coming about, it's getting very close to what diabolo is about.

As for genres, EuroJap I guess would be the french style but with japanese speed and execution.  As for British style, there does seem to be an air or gimmicky tricks which are good for a laugh.  British style also seems a bit more "rough" than say the French style.  American style does seem tricky to pinpoint, I think of the videos I've seen by Americans, (Matt_, the Cleveland Jugglers, Matt Hall etc.) and has the European tinge.

Very difficult to classify it seems.  Hope it doesn't turn into music genres, what the hell is flip-hop?!
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Hoop

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2005, 05:28:21 pm »
Alright, let's get this American scene going!  Matt Hall, you are hereby appointed to leader of TMAP.  We need a style all our own.

Stu, what kind of prizes will you give to the diabolo ladder winners?  I am thinking of organizing some sort of contest in my area.  Does anyone here belong to a "diabolo only" club?  I wonder if it would work without the other juggling props.  Not that I dislike them, it's just that I don't have enough skill with them to teach someone else.

stupendous

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2005, 01:10:42 am »
Quote from: Hoop
Stu, what kind of prizes will you give to the diabolo ladder winners?  I am thinking of organizing some sort of contest in my area.  Does anyone here belong to a "diabolo only" club?  I wonder if it would work without the other juggling props.  Not that I dislike them, it's just that I don't have enough skill with them to teach someone else.

The winner of each age group will win a metal/award and a diabolo.  

The club I started in my town is a "skill toy" club.  We yo-yo, diabolo, juggle, poi, top, kendama, etc. (but mostly yo-yo).
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:50 am »
matt, i dont think it will EVER get spread, it's sad, i know but i dont think it will ever get popular where, i.e., i'll go to school and meet someone who diabolos. it just ain't happening. i cant forsee it being a realistic goal in this country. so meh.

Boxthor

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2005, 06:15:13 am »
That's a pretty damn horrible attitude to have.

Squiggle

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2005, 08:27:43 am »
these tricks are probabbly to easy for intermediate but i was bored and decided to write one

1. MOnorail
2. mini genocide
3. Behind the back orbits x5
4. Behind the back whip catch
5. Umbrella
6. figure eight arm orbits ( 3 complete orbits)
7.genocide
8.whip catch double suicide to behind the back catch
9. infite suicide walk around
9. getting into excalibur
11. excalibur sun ( over and under arms )
12 excalibur  stopover ( both sides)
13. double duicide

Cant think of no more but ore a tie breaker just have them each freestle or a minute or two

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2005, 08:51:53 am »
Quote from: Boxthor
That's a pretty damn horrible attitude to have.

is it better to be horribly optimistic or horribly pessimistic? hmm... how about just "realistic"? in the case of diabolo in the US, realistic points more towards pessimism ;)

when i get a chance, the means, actually if i just get the balls (erm, pun intended i guess), i'm starting a juggling club at SF State, if that means anything. i'll teach anyone anything they want to know if they just show up. over the summer i got ONE person into juggling (she still talks to me, "i want to juggle!" so thats good), i think that was my summer triumph. anyone that comes over to my apartment is going to be subjected to juggling...i should try to get my roommate into it...

now that i think of it though, it's a good idea to show yoyoers the diabolo, maybe they'll come to their senses and realize bigger is better, and having sticks is where it's at  :twisted:

Hoop

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2005, 01:37:51 pm »
Something becoming popular probably has a lot less to do with its inherent coolness and more to do with promotion.  Look at any of the "dumb fads;" pokemon, pogs, backstreet boys.  These things are all pretty dumb by themselves, but with the evil Nintendo Empire pushing the market, Backstreet became a household name.  (Diabolos are inherently cool though, and Stu doesn't seem as evil as Sega.)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2005, 02:39:42 pm »
To Matt_: If SF State University doesn't have a juggling or circus skills society, definitely set one up.  The Student's Union (or whatever the equivalent) there will have all the information you need to start a society or club.  They're just like organised juggling meetings.  You'd be surprised how many people at Uni will see a stall at a Fresher's fair and be like, "cool, I think I'll give that a go" and join just because it looks fun.  And then you'd be surprised how many people can actually juggle and have taken it beyond 3b cascade but never took the inititive to start a club be would definitely join if one was made.  Then in the wider world, if it's the only club in your town or city, then people who don't go to the college might find out about it and come along to meet likeminded people and juggle.

It's just like a singles bar.  And it will work.  Nearly every Uni in the UK has a juggling society, some better than others, but that is reflected in the amount of work the organisers or committee put into making it better.

Chiok

Hoop

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2005, 04:43:21 pm »
Chiok, are you saying we can meet nice ladies at our local juggling clubs?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2005, 08:48:28 pm »
Chiok, are you saying we can meet nice ladies at our local juggling clubs?
Well, don't see why not.  It's cool when girls juggle.  It's just cooler when they do it.  Or you could meet some nice guys, if that's your sort of thing.  Really quite a high ratio of guys to girls at juggling clubs (or just in general).

Chiok
(formerly known as "xfirebladex")

Hoop

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2005, 11:44:00 pm »
xfirebladex, I am definitely down with the ladies!  Anyway, what are some ideas on building interest in a local club guys???

stupendous

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2005, 01:29:12 am »
Quote from: squiggle
these tricks are probabbly to easy for intermediate but i was bored and decided to write one

Thanks for your ideas.... what is excalibur?

(Diabolos are inherently cool though, and Stu doesn't seem as evil as Sega.)

:D  I am not evil!!
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2005, 11:09:00 am »
Quote from: Chiok
Really quite a high ratio of guys to girls at juggling clubs (or just in general).

well, over in SF at the juggling school, i went to the club last week and it was about 50/50 male/female.

'course, today i hung out with a couple of girls and i said, well i can teach you guys to juggle..

"we dont want to learn to juggle!"

i guess that ended that, eh?

seán_

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2005, 11:47:32 am »
Quote from: stupendous

.... what is excalibur?

:D  I am not evil!!

'Excalibur is a stupid name for a sword nevermind a diabolo style' D. Barnes- World Apathy Day

Basically its the style of diabolo where you get it up on its side and frighten passers by. Another name for it is Vertax

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=272
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=408
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=264
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=845