Author Topic: Introducing the Diabolo Trick Exhibition for 2005  (Read 19134 times)

stupendous

Introducing the Diabolo Trick Exhibition for 2005
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2005, 07:02:51 pm »
Thanks Sean!  I have seen that style, but I just never knew it had a name.  It looks like the diabolo could go fyling off at any moment... but it looks cool.
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2005, 11:41:36 pm »
Also known as the "pint smasher" style...  Not somethign try in the beer tent.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2005, 03:25:11 pm »
Well, it is a good point about promotions. It has been mentioned that there's a lot of overlap between diabolo and yo-yo players in Japan, and I think there's a good reason for that.

Back in the 90s, Bandai did a lot of promotions in Japan involving skill toys and such. I have a little footage from that time, and some of their setups were very involved (convention center, big stage with a video wall, automated lights, etc). But of course that was just the ending of a larger system. They sponsered regional contests, there was a trick sytem (get enough stamped off and get a certificate kind of thing), there was touring performers, etc.

A big part of that was yo-yos with Team High Performance touring (first the Hawaiin team and then Japan's own). Jitter Rings were a part (unfortunately they are almost a forgotten art now) with Team Jitter Ring members culled mostly from New Zealand. And of course diabolos. If you look at the older Japanese diabolo sites like Diarhythm, you'll see that there was a diabolo team mostly of Yoho people from Australia.

I don't know so much about the diabolo program that Bandai did, but if it followed along with yo-yos and jitter rings, there was a touring, local competitions and trick ladders, a skill program, the branded Hyper diabolos, etc. It was all an effective package they had together to promote their products and get people learning.

I'm sure that Japan has had a strong juggling community for quite some time, but I'd say that the more recent diabolo popularity is probably in large part from the Bandai promotions, which is why it is linked in so closely with the yo-yo community there.

Shawn

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2005, 03:58:19 pm »
As for US companies, that IS an issue I think. Henry and Babache seem pretty removed, at least as far as promotion and distribution goes. Henry is better (at least in terms of their main products), but something like the teflon hub only seems to be in one online store in the US! (a yo-yo oriented store at that...)

Spintastics does have a presence and they also have the bearing diabolos, but they don't seem as active as they used to be in terms of promotion.

I've heard some rumors of Yoyojam thinking of making a diabolo, which could be pretty significant I think. They're one of the good technical innovators of yo-yo. Actually, the fact that things like screw on tips for sticks has only just happened seems pretty odd coming out of the fast-paced innovation of the yo-yo scene. They also make some quality offstring yo-yos at the moment. Considering how people are willing to brave german-language sites just for some different axles seems to imply to me that there's a void waiting to be filled...

If Duncan expanded their roster of juggling equipment to include a diabolo, that could be interesting as well, though of course they are shooting for inexpensive product. Then again, some of the Yoho models were pretty cheap too (I think) and those were what was in the Bandai promotions. Duncan has a bit more reach than many in terms of promotional possibilities (and including mini cd-roms with their stuff is pretty neat).

So umm.... just to make it all slightly on-topic, I must really be a newbie because some of those tricks in the list seem pretty hard!  :cry:   :wink:  

But I'm re-assured to know that other people actually find the around the arm stuff hard and it isn't just me..haha

Shawn

Mithew

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2005, 02:22:50 am »
about the list of tricks, shouldn't it have genocides and mini-genocides, over the back orbits, over both arm orbits, and excalibur (and why does it have the propeller, its a pretty boring and easy trick)
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2005, 03:56:39 am »
So how did the contest go? Wasnt it yesterday?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2005, 05:40:06 am »
Yeah, but I think a lot of people arrived home late Sunday, so I'd expect more news on Monday...

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2005, 10:33:24 am »
Quote from: Mithew
about the list of tricks, shouldn't it have genocides and mini-genocides, over the back orbits, over both arm orbits, and excalibur (and why does it have the propeller, its a pretty boring and easy trick)

Because, if you read the post (and whole thread), you will know that it isnt for hardcore diab players, it's for yo' players that arent awesome at diabolo and want something to do at a Yo-Yo comp.

Hoop

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2005, 05:43:54 pm »
Don't the yo players already have something to do at the yo comp?  Just kidding, I'm jealous!  I wish there was a yo comp near me that had a diabolo section.  I could seriously take 8th place!

stupendous

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2005, 03:18:39 am »
Quote from: Dracodragon
So how did the contest go? Wasnt it yesterday?

32 people entered the Diabolo Ladder Exhibition at The National Yo-Yo Contest on Saturday! I was hoping for 10 to 15 comeptitors, but people just kept stepping up to compete. We were busy judging for 2 and a half hours straight. It was a blast teaching people diabolo tricks and watching yo-yo people learn a new skill toy.  It was alot of fun.
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2005, 05:15:56 am »
Thats cool. I wanted to go, but it was like a 4 hour drive for me, and my parents just came back from vacation, so maybe when you guys have it next time, youll see me (hopefully with some 3d action by then). Were there any real skilled diaboloers there?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Hoop

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2005, 05:43:20 am »
Awesome, who placed?  Did they sell a lot of diabolos there?  That might indicate how well a contest like this can attract new players.  I know it's not definitive though.

GbH

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2005, 05:50:23 pm »
It might be worth watching this thread on the yoyoing.com forum for more details.  Results already posted...

http://www.yoyoing.com/news/messages/198599.html

I'd be interested to know how far through the ladder people got and what trick(s) tended to cause the problems.  Maybe other potential contest organisers would find it useful to know what did or didn't work?  Or how age affected achievement level?  Or how much of a factor were nerves?  And, most importantly, whether people enjoyed it?

It's cool that it appears to have attracted that many entrants - more than many of the yo-yo categories!  (See http://www.nationalyoyo.org/contest/contest2005/pages/champ_prelims2005.htm)

Guy

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2005, 03:32:14 am »
Guy,

I talked to Stu about it a little bit the other night. He said that the farthest anyone got was trick #18. Also, that a lot of people had problems with elevator, around the arm, and the whip catch. I believe most of the people competing hadn't used a diabolo before, so I guess that makes sense (elevator needs lots of spin, whip is high risk, around the arm is akward at first, etc).

The guy that got the farthest was Jon Gates, who ironically is one of the pioneers of offstring for yo-yo. He was the one who discovered how to wind an offstring yo-yo back up (by trying to do elevator) back in the day. Before that it was really a gimmick thing since you'd have to manually rewind after each throw.

Stu also mentioned that they sold a ton of Spinabolo Pro models, which I think is what most people were using.

Shawn

P.S. I was just reading the Two Hot to Handle book again, and I see you were the co-author! Thanks for that.. :)

stupendous

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2005, 01:12:51 am »
Shawn has it all correct.  Thanks Shawn (I was about to say that.. hehe)

Most peopled used Spinabolo Pros (a bearing diabolo from Spintatstics) or used a Henry's diabolo.

It was fun!
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2005, 09:32:21 pm »
The yoyojam diabolo sounds cool where did you hear the rumors?
Behind your back is your front.

thewu

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2006, 02:33:13 am »
Quote from: stupendous
Shawn has it all correct.  Thanks Shawn (I was about to say that.. hehe)

Most peopled used Spinabolo Pros (a bearing diabolo from Spintatstics) or used a Henry's diabolo.

bearing diabolos can't do elevator or string climb....

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2006, 08:23:30 am »
Actualy they can if you put a couple of wraps on them. (They're supposed to anyway.)
Behind your back is your front.