Author Topic: Next Level of Diabolo  (Read 5214 times)

-Eric-

• Donator
Next Level of Diabolo
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:33 pm »
So I have been mostly learning tricks on youtube and diabolotricks.com, and I think I have learned most of the basics with 1d and 2d. I want to go farther with the diabolo, and have a couple questions.

1.) I've been watching all of the videos that people have been posted, where all of their tricks are made up of integrals and stuff. I've made up some simple tricks on my own, but nothing as complicated as anybody I've seen, so I was wondering how you get to that level where you can do those types of things.

2.) Would the Diabology DVDs  help? I've heard great things about it, but it seems a bit dated, so what are your opinions?

Sorry for all of these questions, I've just been thinking about it a lot lately.

Thanks in advance

-Eric

Mediaboy13

Re: Next Level of Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:45:22 am »
Hi -Eric-!
After learning all the tricks on diabolotricks.com you should be thinking of another level.
I bought diabology last year. My favourite part is the stage performances as they are interesting, the freestyle sections can be entertaining but not that much, finally the tutorials. They do not help really at all, they just have one ,member of TMFP doing the trick, shows different angles and slow motion and every now and then a little "pointless" tip comes up. So yes it is outdated.
You may enjoy The Ultimate Diabolo DVD:
 http://www.jugglingstore.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=214

It is still on beginner to intermediate side of things but shows some advanced stuff.
Of course you have seen Eljas' and Joona's youtube videos (among others) it takes them monthes to a year to make their videos because they take time to plan out their tricks and try new things that mioght not work, but with practice and imagination they make it work.

So the best way to start would be to take some easy integrals, suicides and other stuff and make a small combo with a Mini-G exit or something.
Then move to bigger and longer combos.
Do this with 2 diabolos, as it will be a real challenge (especially with longer, integral based combos).

Take your time and think of a trick, create a variation and make it yours (or start from scratch). Never think it won't work. Try it and practive it, if it actually can't work one one, don't scrap it but change it and mold it around your mistake.
Look around the tutorials section on the forum and click on anything that seems interesting.

Sorry for the length of post and for being more helpful  :embarassed:
Hope that helps!  ;)
-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:25 am »
The Ultimate Diabolo DVD seemed good, but it still seemed a little basic when I read the list of tricks they have in the description.

So the best way to start would be to take some easy integrals, suicides and other stuff and make a small combo with a Mini-G exit or something.

Are there other integrals that are basic ones to learn like the Tomicide? I thought the only main one is the Tomicide, but if there are more to learn  before I go attempting to make one that would be useful.

Mediaboy13

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:22 am »
Yes Thomicide is one of the easiest and first to learn.
I know there are dozens of variations of Thomicide and you can go from other tricks like genocides to Thomicide and from Thomicide to genocide etc.
I would work on variations first, then you can do some really interesting integrals if you get into Fly Fishing. Look at Eljas' newest video. It is 2 minutes of pure integral combos (although pretty advanced).
A trick which has been dubbed "Spinocide" is pretty basic, there is a tutorial on the forum here:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

Although he says he created there have been debates on wheather Joona created it or someone else.
You could learn a butterfly integral but they are quite hard to get right. If you look at one of the first clips of Joona in GJB he does a great variation of a butterfly integral.
I can only really say try and create something with variations of Thomicides, Butterflys and add something to them.
There is 2 Diabolo and even Vertax/Excalibur integrals but I won't go on about that now.

Hope that helps  :embarassed:
-Alex

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:18 am »
Thank you! This has been very informative for me. Sorry for all of these questions, hopefully these will be my last two :embarassed:
First, when you say there are some interesting integrals if you get into Fly Fishing, what exactly is Fly Fishing?
And second, are there any other videos of just a plain butterfly integral? I watched the one Joona does in GJB, but it seems way too complicated to learn right now, so if I could see a video of a simpler one being performed that would be great. (I searched on the forum and on Google myself, but all that came up was a beginner trick that also happens to be called the butterfly.)

Thanks again.

Icebox

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:38:21 am »
It's Tricky by Pranay and Sergei have what is sometimes called Sergei's variation because he is the first (?) one to do it on film. JTV or youtube both have it.

Yes Thomicide is one of the easiest and first to learn.
I know there are dozens of variations of Thomicide and you can go from other tricks like genocides to Thomicide and from Thomicide to genocide etc.
I would work on variations first, then you can do some really interesting integrals if you get into Fly Fishing. Look at Eljas' newest video. It is 2 minutes of pure integral combos (although pretty advanced).
A trick which has been dubbed "Spinocide" is pretty basic, there is a tutorial on the forum here:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

Although he says he created there have been debates on wheather Joona created it or someone else.
You could learn a butterfly integral but they are quite hard to get right. If you look at one of the first clips of Joona in GJB he does a great variation of a butterfly integral.
I can only really say try and create something with variations of Thomicides, Butterflys and add something to them.
There is 2 Diabolo and even Vertax/Excalibur integrals but I won't go on about that now.

Hope that helps  :embarassed:
-Alex

Okay, a couple of things that bother me but shouldn't (disregard this, its just me being a little obsessive compulsive). The video you are talking about (Passage D) was both Joona and Eljas, published on Joona's channel, so I would hardly say that it is Eljas' video. Don't forget to give Joona the credit ;). Second, it's very difficult to 'create' anything new because of the level that integrals and suicides have been pushed to. Third, I would be absolutely amazed if anyone could really do a tomicide to genocide, just because of the wrap the trick leaves the diabolo with.

I'm really sorry about that. Rant over.

Mediaboy13

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:47 am »
First of all, fly fishing has been around for many years so i'm not sure if Pranay or Sergei created it.
On the other hand, Eric last night I made a little messy video just for you.  :-D
It shows you 2 versions of fly fishing, some fly fishing integrals and some of the easier integrals.
There are tons more, and i couldn't show everything (it was late at night) but even so the possabilities are endless.

I will upload it later tonight (im in class)  :-D

Mediaboy13

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
First of all, fly fishing has been around for many years so i'm not sure if Pranay or Sergei created it.
On the other hand, Eric last night I made a little messy video just for you.  :-D
It shows you 2 versions of fly fishing, some fly fishing integrals and some of the easier integrals.
There are tons more, and i couldn't show everything (it was late at night) but even so the possabilities are endless.

I will upload it later tonight (im in class)  :-D
Here it is!  :-D:
For -Eric- - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Enjoy!
Hope that helps!
-Alex

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 03:22:06 pm »
Thank you! I think I understand  some of those tricks and I have lots of stuff to work on. The video helped me a lot. I have to go to school right now but I'll try those tricks when I get back. Thanks again.

Egad!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 03:27:54 pm »
You probably should make sure you know how to do wrapped mini's and have a solid infinite before you start integrals.  Start with tomicides and play around with the the timing of stick releases and what not.  Integrals are not tricks that you can jump straight into, so its best to be patient and get an understanding of how they work.
Pickles are cucumbers in their ultimate form!

Icebox

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:50 pm »
Here it is!  :-D:
For -Eric- - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Enjoy!
Hope that helps!
-Alex

I think you mean halfstring.... and neither Pranay nor Sergei invented it. Not a chance.

Mediaboy13

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 01:57:00 am »
You probably should make sure you know how to do wrapped mini's and have a solid infinite before you start integrals.  Start with tomicides and play around with the the timing of stick releases and what not.  Integrals are not tricks that you can jump straight into, so its best to be patient and get an understanding of how they work.
If your talking to me i already know how to, the video was just rushed. If not, it depends, some people think it helps others don't.

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 02:09:18 am »
I was about to order some new sticks and string and saw a book called Totally Diabolical and also Two Hot to Handle by Donald Grant. I researched it, and it seemed like it goes pretty advanced with two diabolos and it might go to 3d. However it was made a long time ago, before Diabology, so are the tricks that they call advanced not really too impressive? Would I be better off just getting Diabology?

P.S. I'm ordering from Renegade Juggling

Mediaboy13

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:58:23 am »
I was about to order some new sticks and string and saw a book called Totally Diabolical and also Two Hot to Handle by Donald Grant. I researched it, and it seemed like it goes pretty advanced with two diabolos and it might go to 3d. However it was made a long time ago, before Diabology, so are the tricks that they call advanced not really too impressive? Would I be better off just getting Diabology?

P.S. I'm ordering from Renegade Juggling
Yeah, i would just get Diabolology (i did) it can be helpful a little but not alot, just don't pay $50 (AUS) like i did. What sticks and string were you going to buy?

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »
Henry's Aluminum and henrys orange string

Mediaboy13

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 06:01:16 am »
Henry's Aluminum and henrys orange string

Good choice, my friend has them  :-D. Just before you thread Henrys string rub soap on the piece you are threading (if you don't it will be REALLY slippery. After about 2-3 years the grips on aluminium will start to slide off but thats heaps far away  ;).

Have fun!
-Alex

Egad!

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:16 pm »
If your talking to me i already know how to, the video was just rushed. If not, it depends, some people think it helps others don't.

I was just posting a general tip, don't have to get so defensive over it.
Pickles are cucumbers in their ultimate form!

Mediaboy13

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:41 am »
     I was just posting a general tip, don't have to get so defensive over it.
I'm not being offensive, sorry if you thought that  :P.