Author Topic: Diabolos and the general people  (Read 16189 times)

Mithew

Diabolos and the general people
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 08:33:30 pm »
when i performed at a talent show, my friend and i had someone who had never done diabolo before go out first, it made us look a lot better.  Also, everyone seems to be saying you should have two sets of tricks, one for other diaboloists and another for "civilians" (non diaboloists...i like that term).  However, if you do this, you waste a lot of time putting together lame routines (or, lame to other diaboloists).  With my routines, i usually do a few basic, "cool" looking tricks at first, but move up to the same stuff i'd perform for other diaboloists, the audience will reconize your tricks are getting harder, and will appreciate it.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 09:04:07 pm »
occasionally it is depressing when you get shouts of "throw it really high" from the audience while you're doing your best genocide combos, and 3 low with wrap acceleration (and i was in my school hall and couldn't "throw it really high" anyway) THen there is there is string climbs and the marvelous neck bounces that always get attention. Also duicides and genocides and whip catches get quite a lot of attention.

Because of this I think that Tony has perfected the art of performing diabolo to the common person as well as the experienced diabolist. TOny's performances contain whip catches, duicides, high throws, lots of diabolos all combined with some very impressive (but somewhat unnecessary) gymnastics. All of this is completely amazing to a non-juggler/diabolist (we must think of a word for them) at the same time as being very impressive indeed to the juggling/diaboling community.

I also think JiBe has done well here. is 3 high work is very impressive to a common person as well as being very impressive to people like us.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 09:33:20 pm »
i think you could call all those that don't juggle...urrr....my mummy says they are called buddles (???). but i'm sure supergirl would call them lucky but she's have to confirm that

xsupergirlx

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 09:48:23 pm »
would i??
sopose so...i never wanted to start, but my boyfriend got me started...to be honest i found it embarrassing. Tho i have got slowly use to it, and started myself...AND I JUST CANT STOP. So yes...in a way...Lucky.lol.
The show must go on...

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 04:07:11 am »
I've been performing since some of you youngsters were in diapers and while my tricks are still lame, I can offer you this list of audience favorites:

5. Ask "have you gotten a good look at this yet?" and whip it right in their face
4: behind the back catch with a suicide back to the front
3. high throw
2. high throw that seems like it will hit them on their heads until you catch it at last second.
1. high throw that you miss and it lands on your head

By the way, any of you that aren't performing for $$$, I suggest you give it a try. Sometimes easy money, sometimes the little creeps almost kill you. But all in all it's a lot of fun and as long as you can do a high throw, you're ready to amaze and astound.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 09:41:03 am »
Quote from: xsupergirlx
...to be honest i found it embarrassing...
Well, that's just scandelous.  The first guy to milk a cow probably found it embarrassing, but he kept to it.  And now we have cheese.

The point about Tony Freboug is valid.  Watchin his performance video on his website shows his routine and it does combine high throws, suicides, a duicide, a double duicide, some gymnastic 2 stuff and 3 high (oh and his 3 low shuffle in splits).  But I do remember the camera cutting away to have a good look at the audience just as he was starting into a little vortex knot stealing combo.  Damn cameraman!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

frank0072

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 11:50:22 pm »
I have to perform on my parents 25th wedding aniversary in december, and I have to get a good routine for it. I really think this is a good topic, and I would like it if anyone can post a routine he (or she of course) uses for the unexperienced public (my family that is). I can do most basic stuff, only no genocides and underhand whip catches (ofcourse there is a lot more I can't do, but these are the most impressive ones I think).

I hope it's not to much to ask..
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Mithew

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 01:15:42 am »
it was really annoying today.  my cousins were over, and while i was doing a new minigenocide combo, one said to her friend, "hey look, thats my cousin matthew, he's really good at diabolo, he can do trampoline bounces! show her matthew!"  sorry if its a bit off topic, but i was feeling annoyed and had to vent it.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 10:01:42 am »
i think its that off topic, its another example of how some people just don't appreciate the value arm combo's, wierd slack knots etc
 ...i feel your pain

Mithew

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 06:10:23 pm »
i disagree with the part about arm combo's.  my friend and i made a cool arm combo, and "civilians" seem to really like it, i think the thing that people tend to not appreciate are complicated combo's that take a while to think up, they like them, but they don't understand the effort that went into learning them (same with minigenocides, and 2 diabolo stuff)

CASERocks

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 03:42:50 am »
I was at my fitness center and these little kids saw me. You can guess what happened next. I was surrounded and they just kept asking me to throw it higher.
Another guy told me that when he saw me throw it up, he thought to himself "there is no way he is gonna catch that!"

There are only 3 tricks that make people go "wow" and that's the high toss, string climb and whip catch.
It's the "triple axis" of tricks that simply must be in every performance!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 09:54:18 am »
An almighty bump, so I hope I get some ideas.

I was thinking of doing a little bit of street performing. (I'm new to this so I need some guidance.) I've seen 2 approaches to street perfoming. The first is that the performer does continualy random tricks as people walk past in the hope that people throw some money in a hat, the second is that the perfomer performs a routine that lasts for a couple of minutes and then asks for people to throw some money in the hat.

Which of these techniques is the most effective for money? and which gets the best respose from an audience?

Also is it better when performing as people to walk past just to do the most spectacular trick possible? (probably the string climb)

Probably too many questions but I hope I get some answers,

Leo
Behind your back is your front.

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 11:04:30 am »
Hey guppygold welcome to the world of streetperforming!
Doing tricks with a hat lying on the ground is the simplest aproach to streetperforming altough you´ll never get verry much monney that way (it can work ok if you are a musician though).
You will enjoy performing much more if you put together a real circle show, more fun and more monney once the show starts to work ok.
The most important part of streetperforming isn´t your technical skills, interacting with people and making them like you is far more important.
And dont get depressed if your first shows suck, every streetperformer suck in the beginning. After each show analyze it and keep the things that were good and change what isnt really working.

When i started out on the street i went to Copenhagen wich is a big place for streattheatre and watched other performers doing their trade, it was a humbling lesson but also gave me lots of inspiration and knowledge about how to work the streat. Without that experience i would be an engineer today...
I sugest you go to a pitch with other performers (mabe covent garden in London) to se the really good performers in action and get some inspiration from them.

Some questions thts good to meditate on:
How do i atract a crowd?
What do i do in the show?
What costome do i wear?
What caracter do i have?
Ho do i ge them to pay?
Where do i perform?

Migth i also sugest you check out this site  http://www.performers.net
The library section is a real goldmine.

frank0072

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 11:06:14 am »
Last Queensday (30th of april) I was in a big shopping mall in Utrecht and my roommates had me perform. I just did random tricks and a million drops but I mad 8 euro in 45 minutes.
Multiple stringclimbs, blind whipcatches, sprinkler, body moves. You know, the usual crowd pleasers, they help a lot.
I think for a setup like that you should stand in a place where a lot of people walk by.

I am also thinking of making a routine, just like you said. We have all seen Trash do that in one of his video's (where he stands between two pillars on a square and is surrounded by a lot of people). That method is probably also very effective.

My other thought is that you should have music with it, just some instrumental shizzle like Jean Michel Jarré or Daft Punk.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 06:28:47 pm »
Well I tried it and it went ok. I made £10 in 30 minutes. I wasted it all on food though.
Behind your back is your front.

Hoop

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 10:45:25 pm »
Cool, good job.  Where can I find that video of Trash?  I'd like to check that out.

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 11:02:37 pm »
alright  guppygould

I do street performing with a magician and a bongo player. we call ourselves the bongo magic circus [hence the bmc case anybody wondered]
Diaboloing is a funny one with the general public, its true that the high toss, string climbs and whip catches will get the wows or in the scally world of central manchester

"check dis mosher! he's sick!"

If you can work out a routine that you can repeat at intervals that will work well, i kind of just free style as i still view it as practice time.

my major advice is to expect to be annoyed, ignored, told "your rubbish!" by passing people if you happen to drop the diabolo. Dont let this dishearten you as you will have a great time overall if the weather stays nice, my favourite bits are

-kids they genuinely in awe of some stuff and their great fun to perform to. Although they always seem to enjoy me running after my diabolo when i drop it the most

- the large amount of new people you will meet in a day, I've got gigs and new friends just from people just coming up for a chat

Wupps another monster post they seem to go hand in hand with my essays.

good luck

frank0072

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 07:21:57 am »
Trashes video is called "La Boulette" and as far as I know I have found it on his website.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
Re: Diabolos and the general people
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 11:48:49 pm »
sorry for the bump! i tried this and it worked well, i wanted to ask you what you think of it! when you have good ideas to react to the audience please share!

streetperforming:
when you do 2d in front of a crowd and someone asks you doing 3(happens very often, as we all know), try this!
pop 1d out and catch it...
please him into the circle/stage/whatever and say: "if you can keep this diabolo on your head while your arms are crossed, i'll show the most incredible 3d trick ever"-
put the diabolo on his head ... wait a bit and dont loose the eyecontact to your audience at this point. nervousity takes a while, but dont wait too long(your other diab is still spinning, if not replace it with a small one which you should not forget to show the crowd)!
say something like: "could everybody please hold his breath"
make a really high toss! ...a murmur will go throu the audience...
if done right, your victims eyes will follow the tossed diab and automatically drop the one on his head 100%! dont forget to catch the tossed diabolo ;)
a great laugh...

to be mentioned:
if you already have done hightosses at this point in your show, this wont work very well!
if it has worked or not you have to say then that you cant do the most incredible 3d trick ever! just show something you can do!
be carefull, some people are not suitable for this kind of jokes!
you should have at least 10 people before your show even starts more will come while the show is running!
always keep the audienceimpressing-tricks till you need them!

well, share your great ideas!

sorry for the long sentences... my english ::)

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---