Author Topic: Nikon D3200: yay or nay for filming a diabolo vid?  (Read 3165 times)

Simalacrum

Nikon D3200: yay or nay for filming a diabolo vid?
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:32:22 pm »
Hey peeps! Hope this place is still alive, last time I was at BJC it sounded like .ca was dying… I don't come here often but I do like it, so I hope it stays alive :S

Anyways! I've been looking to get a pretty decent camera recently, partly for the purpose of possibly doing a diabolo video at some point in the future. (though I do want to use it for other stuff the diabolo thing is a big reason I want to get a decent camera)

I've been primarily looking at entry-level DSLR's, and more recently the Nikon D3200 in particular, which I'm now seriously considering getting.

Would this be a good choice, particularly considering videoing diabolo stuff? Is there a better option I could consider (bearing in mind about £500 is quite close to the top of my budget, though it can stretch a little further)? Thanks for any help anyone can give ^_^

Egad!

Re: Nikon D3200: yay or nay for filming a diabolo vid?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:58 am »
I don't think it is entirely necessary to buy a dslr just for filming.  I use a nikkon Coolpix l810 and it works fine.  If your planning on getting in to photography or serious film making, invest in a dslr, but keep in mind that lenses sometimes cost more than the camera itself. 
Pickles are cucumbers in their ultimate form!

luabduch

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:36 am »
If you're buying a DSLR I recommend getting a canon 60D + Magic lantern + canon 50mm 1.8 lens
With this little toy you can make awesome images!

don't know if it'll fit your budget.

if you buy a DSLR keep in mind that you'll need to study some photography basic stuff, like ISO, shutter speed and so it goes...
supposing you don't know it yet.

kampfjapanertaro

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:57 am »
i have a 600D and it´s a bit cheaper than the 60D but the video-function is all the same, so I´ll recommend you a canon 600D. the 50mm 1,8 is very cheap for a lens but very very good in terms of quality.
what you need is also a good tripod.

if you want to film things with your dslr rather than taking photos, I wouldnt take a nikon, because a canon has more filming possibilities  ;)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:29:28 am »
I assume you've read some reviews. dpreview.com is always good. The link to the video section: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200/17

I wouldn't get it just for doing diabolo videos, but if you're keen to get an SLR camera for other reasons then you could certainly use it to make some excellent diabolo videos.

Luke Burrage has written some of the best thoughts on getting into photography that I've read anywhere:
http://www.lukeburrage.com/blog/archives/1450

There's a lot more to learn with an SLR camera but also a lot more flexibility. It depends what your interests are.

The biggest difference you'll notice in terms of the video you get out of an SLR for video vs. most consumer camcorders is the super-shallow depth of field you can get with a low f-stop SLR lens. My favourite lens on my Nikon D90 is the 50mm 1.8. A super cheap and small lens that can take some stunningly good photos with amazingly shallow depth of field. That kind of look is, otherwise, generally only obtainable with vastly more expensive video cameras.

I'm not up on the current Canon vs. Nikon video features. You'd want to look into those. Generally the advice is to go with whichever you like the feel of better or you like the controls on better. Or go with one that you can get hand-me-down lenses from someone for (even older film lenses).