Author Topic: sprinklers/hyperloops/tourbillon  (Read 23958 times)

seán_

sprinklers/hyperloops/tourbillon
« on: November 08, 2004, 04:31:01 PM »
the first topic not started by Sean (even though it will look like it is)

I can do some of the variations thats not why I am posting this. what I want to know is
is a Hyper loop different from a sprinkler?

I see hyperloops as the version where you catch the sting over the left handstick (forming a triangle with a mini shuffle within). I have been told that in fact thats just the pre-version of what most people would consider the proper trick and that when the 'sprinkler' was invented it was still known as a 'hyperloop'. Any thoughts?

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:46:11 PM »
I think it's just a different name.  I remember them being called 'hyperloops' years ago (and occasionally 'speed loops' before then), but then the name 'sprinkler' seems to have become popular lately.  I think I first saw that name on the Diarhythm site.  

As far as I know, either name applies to the family of tricks, not to a particular way of doing them, but I guess we're about to see if other people see it differently.  Trick names are silly anyway.    :)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 05:00:56 PM »
I believe Matt Hall explained to me that the "hyperloop" term was used by Donald Grant in his book Two Hot to Handle but that the terminology got changed at some point to "sprinkler". So, in that case, they're the same trick - one's just an "old-school" term.

Oh yeah... and "tourbillon" is obviously the term the French have coined.

Sean

Arjan

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 05:14:02 PM »
Ok.. then what is the little triangle sprinkler Sean is talking about in his opening post? Obviouly it`s a sprinkler, but what kind?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 05:25:01 PM »
Quote from: Arjan
Ok.. then what is the little triangle sprinkler Sean is talking about in his opening post? Obviouly it`s a sprinkler, but what kind?

I don't know... how about a "stop-over-semi-sprinkler"? Does it even have a name? ;)

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 05:40:30 PM »
Semi shuffle-semi sprinkler  8)
Does it need a name? that`s the question  :P

It would be cool to go from a normal sprinkler into that type of, and back and forth. Have any of you guys see the stopover sprinkler from Diabolumberto? It`s in het movie called "alone".
I can`t find it online anymore  :?

seán_

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 06:00:58 PM »
Quote from: Sean
Quote from: Arjan

I don't know... how about a "stop-over-semi-sprinkler"? Does it even have a name? ;)

Donald Grant gives it as a hyperloop in 'two hot to handle' which is kind of why I was asking the question.

I like it as a trick in its own right. I think it could be counted as one of the tricks that has kind of been lost. (there must be a lot of moves that have been forgotten about)

Matt_H

Hyperloops
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 02:11:24 PM »
Well i agree with Barnsey here about the term used, i also had a long discusion after wednesday night juggling with Sean_ about the subject. The term hyperloop is the old school name and the stop-over triangle thing that Sean_ is on about is what i consider the original oldschool hyperloop, obviously over several years of development it has become what it is today with it becoming known as the 'sprinkler'.

Matt_H

p.s heres a bit of an observation after being out of the loop for a while and then returning, old school call it the hyper loop where newer diaboloists call it the sprinkler as in the same way that you can tell an old school diaboloist when they start 2 with a throw from the right hand side where as the newer diaboloists use a wrap start ........

seán_

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 06:06:45 PM »
Matt_H was explaining to me how this trick was developed (having been there at the time). and how many of the tricks we take for granted were invented by people such as Donald Grant, Guy Heathcote, Colin E etc.

edit* And not forgetting Brendan Brolly, Dave Barnes, Dave Proctor and others :)

It was an interesting discussion and one I think we could benifit from! (hint hint Matt)

Seán_

Matt_H

hyperloops
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 12:03:48 AM »
Sean_ you seemed to miss Brendan Brolly and Barnsey off the list mate.

:)

Matt.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 10:48:08 AM »
yes but he did say 'etc' so that counts, although yeah they should have had a personal mention.

My questions is about multiples. I can get a double sprinkler without too much trouble, usually opt for a suicide out aswell. But the double lasts a couple of seconds at most, and yes i have as much speed on the diabolos as humanly possible (seriously, lol) i'm sure alot of you have seen my latest 1diab video with all the suicides n stuff, do u think my string is too short to keep it going? I just dont see how people get upto triples and even hold them there! then back out to a double for a while, and still have enough spin to hold that before going back to a single for a bit. its crazy. So do i just need longer string? if so i wont bother learning them, cos i love my length string.

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 12:37:02 PM »
Well Norbi, check if you string can do a triple sprinkler (leave a gap offcourse). For the rest, it`s a lot of speed, and a well controlled sprinkler.

murifri

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 12:27:45 AM »
The sprinkler was one of the first two diabolo tricks that I attempted.  It always seemed to end in a tangle.  Now I can get the diabolo going alot faster I can get them going for a couple seconds with a suicide exit but thats it.

I really want to learn the entry under the arm like Jibe does so I can do a simple unwrap to get out of them.  Also I was wondering what the best way of getting into a double and triple sprinkler.  Do you swing the diabolos round again or do you wrap the string around?

seán_

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 02:07:44 AM »
Quote from: murifri
The sprinkler was one of the first two diabolo tricks that I attempted.  It always seemed to end in a tangle.  Now I can get the diabolo going alot faster I can get them going for a couple seconds with a suicide exit but thats it.

I really want to learn the entry under the arm like Jibe does so I can do a simple unwrap to get out of them.  
<clip>

The unwrap from the version you do is not that hard imho
Reach your right hand down below and in front of the diabolos in a clockwise circle to unwrap the hyperloop. quite quick but doable

Seán

murifri

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 10:33:41 AM »
Cheers sean,
I'll try that, I suppose it's down to practice now.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 02:29:26 PM »
Quote from: barnesy
...ou drop into a hyperloop (No, I won't call them sprinklers!)...

Why not? a hyperloop is a completely different trick, it includes a stick in the circle with the diabs, like a couble stopover almost. So why would u call something else a hyperloop when clearly hyperloop is already taken by the trick shown in 'two hot to handle'. Just a thought, the reason i dot use the term hyperloop is becuase i'm not doing one.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 02:33:59 PM »
It's two different names for the same family of tricks.  Really.

edit - Where is it in 'Two Hot to Handle' by the way?  Just had a quick look, but didn't see it.

Matt_H

hyperloops
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 02:38:56 PM »
I agree with dave, they are the same trick its just evolved over time. It is definatly a hyperloop .......... (i never call them sprinklers!!)

Matt_H.        (the H stands for hyperloop)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 02:45:53 PM »
For those of you that missed this discussion last time it came up, it's all here... good topics never die do they? ;)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 03:12:47 PM »
I've merged the hyperloop/sprinkler naming subthread that appeared in the 'standard 2 diabolo sun' thread into this thread.  Now all I want to know is why that thread isn't called 'standard 2 diabolo round the world'   :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal