Author Topic: How do people get a UFO grind going for so long  (Read 4814 times)

dimensions

How do people get a UFO grind going for so long
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Ok I'm not a vertax expert, in fact I can hardly do it at all
I've seen people do a UFO grind (the grind on the tip if a stick) and I saw them do it for a good 30 seconds, but when I do it I can hardly make 10, even with a triple bearing diabolo, that is new!!!
So how do you get a UFO grind going so long

What's the best diabolo for the job???

Rob
Subscribe escapees6 on youtube it's me!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
Re: How do people get a UFO grind going for so long
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
what diabolo do you have?
I think that what matters is how the inside of the cup is shaped although I'm no expert. It could also have something to do with the shape of the stick and how fast the diabolo is going as well.

5p3ak

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Don't stick stickers inside the "cup" it will slow down the speed of the diabolo.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MaFiaZai

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Don't stick stickers inside the "cup" it will slow down the speed of the diabolo.
the stickers?

Icebox

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
the stickers?
http://www.taibolo-usa.com/shopa.html

^bottom of the page, there are stickers you can put on the inside of the cups to make a pattern when the diabolo spins.

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
thanks, now I get it!

nabilarubaiya

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
The UFO is very much like a standard frontside or backside grind, the only difference is that the the feet are further apart.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
It's all about speed with UFO's. Best way to go is to have lot of speed and cup that is not grippy. Absolutely longest and easiest UFO I've done was with a kit that Roman had made by himself (not for sale and I haven't seen anything alike ever again). It pretty much eliminated whole nub and friction issues.

Also if you want to play with ideas you can always put silicone or lube to make it slippy. I bet that way you can make massively long UFO's....
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Folkert

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:57 PM »
I once got really really really lucky doing a vertax grind and actually got the little metal bolt to land perfectly in the top of my carbon stick (my string was very worn out, so it allowed the bolt to basically slot in). This meant the plastic cups never actually touched the sticks and so it significantly reduced the friction and allowed the grind to go on for a veeeeery long time.

I went on to try and learn to get it like that every time but i've never been able to do it again, i guess it was just a one-off fluke...

But anyway, it made me wonder whether the people who do some mad vertax have actually perfected this, or if there is some other technique to getting a mega long grind

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
Roman's case the kit he has inside the cup automatically centers the stick to middle point and takes the friction away... ;)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
My tip = chinese accels with double wrap. Ease the stick down when catching (catching roughly removes some speed and feeds some instability) and you should have all the speed you need and more.

I ufo with diabigs and thanks to the lettering inside the cup they're horrible for it and snap string/decrease speed. Double wrap accelration is pretty much required if you want tricks inside the gyro. I imagine a taibolo could be gyroed almost forever in comparison with the same technique.

I once got really really really lucky doing a vertax grind and actually got the little metal bolt to land perfectly in the top of my carbon stick (my string was very worn out, so it allowed the bolt to basically slot in). This meant the plastic cups never actually touched the sticks and so it significantly reduced the friction and allowed the grind to go on for a veeeeery long time.

This has happened to me on a few occasions too. I'd like to see a diabolo where the knob is shaped like a big "O" so you can get a standard sized stick inside. May be bad for curls or other stuff though but 3D vertax (spinning 2 and going into it the way trespace does 2D vertax) might be a possibility.

Or the pointed/Z stacks that never seem to become reality... :( I don't know if the revkits could work that way?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal