Author Topic: Creating a diabolo website?  (Read 11362 times)

James

Creating a diabolo website?
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:46:37 PM »
Hi,

I like diabolo-ing, and I like creating websites, so I thought, what better way to keep me occupied that to create a diabolo related website.  Only problem is that I can't think of anything useful that I could put on it.

I can only do a few two diabolo tricks, so I wouldn't be able to write advanced trick tutorials.  Diabolotricks.com is already there for the one diabolo tricks, and this site includes a diabolo forum and more advanced tutorials.

I'd like to do something with a database, because I really enjoy that (I know, wierdo :P).  You can see an example of one of my sites here.  I thought of creating a trick database of one diabolo tricks, but that would just be a waste of time as I would be basically recreating diabolotricks.com.

So, can anyone think of anything useful they'd like to see on a diabolo website?  Or should I just forget it because there are already enough sites?
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

Joe

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:34:25 PM »
cool good idea i havent got any good ideas for a website but if you want i can make some flash movies for you not loads (thats what i do for a hobbie
Fire is fun

GbH

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »
Ooh - another ride enthusiast that likes databases.  That was a bit unexpected...

Anyway, I can think of three obvious diabolo database ideas.

The first, as you mentioned, is a trick database.  Yes, it's been done elsewhere, but as I doubt anyone will ever produce anything definitive, there's always likely to be room for something that fills the gaps.

Secondly, you could make a database of diabolos themselves.   Commercial ones, historic ones, custom ones, whatever.  I'm not sure quite how interesting it would be, or where you'd get the information from, but I've not seen anything like it elsewhere.

Lastly, I suppose a database of diabolo players (or whatever you want to call them) could be compiled, along with photos/videos and other information.   Something tells me this could be something of a 'can of worms' if not apprached with care, but it's still an idea.

Guy

Oh - one last suggestion.  Leave the database alone and just play with the diabolos instead!

James

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:52:57 PM »
Quote from: Joe
cool good idea i havent got any good ideas for a website but if you want i can make some flash movies for you not loads (thats what i do for a hobbie

Thanks for the offer - if I end up doing a diabolo trick database flash movies would probably be very helpful :).

Quote from: GbH
The first, as you mentioned, is a trick database.  Yes, it's been done elsewhere, but as I doubt anyone will ever produce anything definitive, there's always likely to be room for something that fills the gaps.

I guess that would be the obvious choice.  It would be relatively easy to fill in the info, and it would be more likely that people would find it useful.

Secondly, you could make a database of diabolos themselves. Commercial ones, historic ones, custom ones, whatever. I'm not sure quite how interesting it would be, or where you'd get the information from, but I've not seen anything like it elsewhere.

Seeing as I don't have a great range of diabolos, that would probably be quite hard to collect info on.  I could look round other sites and try to gather up all of the information there, but that's probably a waste of time ;)

Lastly, I suppose a database of diabolo players (or whatever you want to call them) could be compiled, along with photos/videos and other information. Something tells me this could be something of a 'can of worms' if not apprached with care, but it's still an idea.

That's a nice idea.  I too haven't seen anything like that elsewhere, and hosting a load of pictures and videos would be a good way to make use of the unlimited space and bandwith I have with a hosting package.

Thanks for your ideas by the way :D

If anyone else has any ideas for websites or opinions on the current ideas please post them.
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

eggy900

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 05:36:10 PM »
i made a diabolo site when i first started diaboloing, dunno if it's still online but i think it should be http://www.eggysdiabolos.tk , since then though i have made a diabolo game

it's still in it's beta stage so e-mail me if you want me to send it to you

_Matz_

Re: Creating a diabolo website?
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
I'm getting some 1 and 2 d tricks, i think 1 d pretty good, but i just don't know where/how (no HTML coding) make sites where put videos. i know freewebs and others, but you can't put any videos, and if you can, you must pay for them. Any help where to make em? for free.
|)><(|   hope you understand my english

seán_

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 12:38:52 AM »
Though not the most elegant solution you can set up a blog with blogger and similar and embed youtube videos.

Steve-O

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »
i can make some flash movies for you not loads (thats what i do for a hobbie
diabolotricks.com already has great flash stuff, what would be good is if there were in depth instructions and videos of how to do all the tricks, unfortunetaly getting that many videos would not be that good.

Rusty

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »
Why don't we just set up a diabolo wiki for a trick database so everyone can contribute and make it better.

_Matz_

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 10:56:07 AM »
Why don't we just set up a diabolo wiki for a trick database so everyone can contribute and make it better.
not bad idea dude, but if you want a good site, you must pay for it, or not, if you have some free place to host, making is easy.

_Matz_

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »
i have my sites, i used HTML-, but don't know where to host them free. i have there videos picturese andother stuff, but can't find any place to host them.

Squiggle

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »
Freewebs is good

Or pay for a host

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »
www.fh-net.com might be of use if you don't want to pay.
Behind your back is your front.

_Matz_

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »
ty

_Matz_

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »
i don't recive e-mail from them. i tried few times at nother e-mails, nicks etc, but not getting any e-mails.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »
Give it a day or 2. Sometimes when I register for things I don't get the confiramation e-mail for a day or so.

seán_

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 10:29:24 PM »
and check your spam folder

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
I know some people are enthusiastic about creating diabolo websites I think it's important to take a few things into consideration:

Will the website add anything to the diabolo community? If not, then is there really much point in creating it?

Do you have a sufficiant amount of scripting knowledge to create the website you want? Just knowing HTML probably isn't enough. I think the minimal you would need for creating a video database with your own storage is HTML,CSS,Javascript and some kind of server based language (PHP, Perl etc)

If it is just a website without a forum or anything too complicated then you may not need to learn a server based language.

Ok, thats pretty much the things I wanted to say about what scripting knowledge needed to create a website.

I think that the video database Idea Is a really good idea and something which a lot of people would benefit from. However the cost for a server that could keep all the videos could be quite expensive.- That would obviously be the best option.

Another option which could actually be free is to create a forum and to create categories such as:
"1 diabolo"
"2 diabolo"
"3 diabolo +"
"Performance"
"Montage"
etc and each video could have it's own thread with a link to a streaming and a direct download version of the video of the video. Like the video section on this forum but on a much grander scale. This option would also be easy to create and use. A simple forum could be used to create this for free of charge and the videos could be hosted on www.jugglethis.net and www.youtube.com . The forum could be just a web-based forum like the ones on www.proboards.com or www.invisionfree.com . Another advantage of this is that anyone can create a decent looking one like this which I created to practice my javascript on about 6 months ago.

Well there are some of my ideas for a database. Does anyone else have any other ideas for it?

_Matz_

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »
Well, i used HTML, and little front page. sites are good, with Videos. like you posted, there are
1 diabolo
2 diabolo sections,
pictures
home etc

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »
Any chance of a link?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal