Author Topic: Veteran Diabolo juggler does not know what to do[Please Read]  (Read 3121 times)

Jukisto

Hello,

My name is Jere, and I live in Finland. I don't like spinning Diabolo's.

Its my first post in this forum even when I have known the site for a long time.
I'd like to share my story of spinning Diabolo and I am not intending to make TL;DR stuff to the end of post. Read if you want.

I started Diabolo'ing by watching some older boys spinning few these things called "Diabolo" in my school and I wanted to test the new toys aswell.
At first I ofcourse asked my Dad buy me a Diabolo(I was young back then and could not "earn" money myself). My family was REALLY poor back then and they could not afford buying me Diabolo and my Dad told me if I worked hard in home/in School; I might get my Diabolo.

1 Year passed and I tried working as hard as possible in school and home to earn few euros to afford the Diabolo I REALLY wanted.
At some point I realized my dad is not going to give me money for Diabolo because he said its just these "new things" and I just would get bored off them as soon as I got one. My hope was almost lost until I realized that I could collect empty bottles from outdoors and get few cents per bottle.

I collected bottles for approx 3 months and I had 20 euros in my safe, outside of my fathers reach who might have just bought beer with the money I earned myself.

FINALLY after 1 year and 3 months of working and waiting, I had change to buy me a Diabolo.

When I had 25 euros in my pocket I started wondering where I could buy one myself, I didnt want to buy these "plastic toy" models from market because my friends had them a year ago and they broke in week or so.

My friend told me to buy it off internet, which was new thing for me back then and I didnt know how to use it. My "friend" then offered to sell his old Diabolo to me for 20 euros. I was so happy that I could finally have my own Diabolo and start learning to spin it. But first problem occured right after I had bought the Diabolo from my friend, He told me he had "lost" his sticks so I have to get them somewhere else. I was confused about the situation and what should I do. I was unable to tell my father that I bought it myself because he would have become very angry at me and I was a little bit affraid of my father back then, he was really aggresive when he was angry.

I decided to "make" my own sticks. I found these plastic sticks which were used to clean up flutes in schools trashbin. I tought these are perfect sticks for my new Diabolo and I was still missing string.
I found some woolen string in some of our drawers at home and I used it as string in my Sticks.

Ofcourse the string kept breaking every few mins and I was frustrated about it.

But I was glad I FINALLY HAD DIABOLO SET

It still feels only accomplishment in my life. Nothing has ever reached the level of joy I had back then.

All the work for huge punch on my face.:

When I finally had my "working" set of Diabolo, sticks and strings
I realized that I was TERRIBLE doing it.

My friends and strangers in our neighbourhood just started bully me cuz the Diabolo was old thing and how my equipment was so bad.
I threw my equipment to trashcan. I was hearth broken.

THEN this old granny from next door saw me sitting in yard crying.
She came to me and asked whats wrong and I told her the whole story and she told me: "You worked really hard, I saw you every day trying to find those pesky bottles. Dont care what anyone says to you, you should not throw everything away before you know you dont want to do it anymore."

That old lady was my hero and I didnt even thank him. Now I realize it.

Then I decided:

I might be bad at spinning Diabolo, but I dont give a *uck what everyone says, I am going to prove everyone, my dad, my friends, EVERYONE that told me that I suck and have bad equipment for Diabolo that I am going to be best Diabolo'ist they would ever know.

First few Years were hard due the lack of equipment and knowledge off Diabolo. I started getting new equipment after 2 years of training with Diabolo. My first real sticks were aluminium Henrys sticks with REAL string. I felt so amazed about the new string I had, which would not break every few minutes.

I started learning few tricks and same time I have been keeping my promise; I will not stop until I know I am best from my neighbourhood.
At the same time my hatred against Diabolo had been growing. I hated spinning Diabolo, but I dont know what kept me doing it. Maybe it was my promise, maybe my father or maybe it was my friends which still kept keeping fun off me still trying to learn Diabolo.

And now, 8 years later: I know a lot of cool stuff with 1 diabolo, can genocide, can do wide range of tricks with 2 diabolo and be able to suffle 3 diabolos.

I know I am best Diaboloist I know personally.
I still feel empty inside, I dont want to continue spinning Diabolo, still my hand keep going back to the sticks. I dont know why but it makes me have tranquility. Its like drug for me. I sure am hopeless.

I have learned that you should not EVER stop doing what you love/hate or are bad in.

I dont know what to do and I wanted to share my story. There aint many Diaboloists in my are in Finland.

I can say that my life was hard back then, beeing desperate trying to learn new stuff at the same time my friends kept calling me bad and yelling to quit the thing.

I dont wait for a response from you guys. I just want you to read what I have been trought to be able to spin Diabolo. Maybe this makes you think about something.

Best regards from Jere

YSESdan

Re: Veteran Diabolo juggler does not know what to do[Please Read]
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
Good on you :)

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Say waaaaat? Do you want my money? What is your problemo? Spin that thing female canine!

Mediaboy13

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »
Okay, i am confused about your post? I get it's your story and all, but what do you want us to tell you? Your post title is "Veteran Diabolo juggler does not know what to do[Please Read]

-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:26:28 AM »
If you're looking for diabolo friends. Finland has quite active diabolo culture. We have two major events every yea, Finnish national Diabolo and YoYo Contest 9. -12.7. 2013 and FDC-festival 16. -18.8.2013.

The diabolo people I know in Finland are really helpful and nice and really in to the hobby of spinning that little plastic toy and all.

check: www.diaboloseura.fi, and www.fdc2013.org

I would be happy to see you in our meetings and even have fun with your toys with us. Sharing is caring.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Jukisto

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
Okay, i am confused about your post? I get it's your story and all, but what do you want us to tell you? Your post title is "Veteran Diabolo juggler does not know what to do[Please Read]

-Alex

What to do in situation where I dont want to juggle but I have somekind of compulsive need to get better in it.

dakarv

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
Sorry to hear your story

Well doing diabolo for a hobby is all about having fun, if you are no longer having fun doing it then it might be time to put it down

It seems you have got into a habit of doing it to prove a point to everyone including yourself, this may have been fine at first but as you said you have already made your point (you are the best diaboloist you know/in your neighbourhood etc)

You seem to just be doing it for the sake of it now without enjoying it or getting any real benefit. I would suggest taking a break for a while, if you can't stop picking it up then give it to someone to look after for you. You may find after a while you can learn to pick it up occasionally and have fun but take some time off first and have a think about what you really want

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the story. I'm sorry to hear that there has been some bullying behind this. I think you have shown those guys already ;)

This is not the case everywhere in Finland. I don't know any of the high level players that come to competitions that would pick on younger players. We love sharing tricks and just having good time together.  This doesn't mean that there isn't healthy competition of who is better. But all this is done in friendly manner with everyone carrying a smile.

I do understand that there are many players in schools with huge egos.  Most of those don't come to the events or contests. If they would they would probably see that it's not about the skills. It's more about the attitude. There are so many ways and styles in diabolo that at some point it is almost impossible to decide who is better. I might do many tricks better than everyone else but then I suck so bad with other styles. Here's perfect example, I won the Finnish diabolo contest in 2011. Yet, I still can't do 3diabolo shuffle at all. See what I mean? :)

I hope you'll come around for FDC (Finnish diabolo festival) held in end of the summer near Tampere. www.fdc2013.org  I would be happy to learn some of your tricks and give some my ideas for you as well if you want them.
If you happen to live in Tampere area we have amazing diabolo club here www.diaboloseura.fi
Also most of the people are heading to Joensuu for "Diabolon SM-kilpailut" in mid July, more info later from www.diaboloseura.fi

┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal