Author Topic: Diabolo Styles & "What is your style"?  (Read 15268 times)

Mithew

Diabolo Styles & "What is your style"?
« on: October 22, 2005, 03:05:35 AM »
What are all the different diabolo styles? i know there's Japanese and European, but what exactly characterizes them? And what are the other styles (if any).
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »
You shouldn't be in level 1 english... You misspelled *syles*  anyways japanese is like super fast combo tricks like Makky...  French is smooth like antonin and crazy cool (TMFP).  The rest are blended and not very different I guess...  My style, try whatever trick i've been working on in a show no matter how inconsistent (excalibur genocide :D)

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
Plus, while we can generalize, I'm sure there are many exceptions. Probably some smooth japanese players, a couple fast ones in france, etc..

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 08:39:47 AM »
I think us Brits have a different style, it tends to be quite cheesy.
Behind your back is your front.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »
Quote from: guppygould
I think us Brits have a different style, it tends to be quite cheesy.

You can thank Donald for that :wink:

You're right tho' we do like tricks that are amusing as well as impressive.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 11:19:14 AM »
it wasnt initially a conscious decision, but it has turned into one, that i have mainly a japanese feel to my playing (i think)
Styles are hard to work out, the generalizastions (sp?) are:
Chinese - throw one high, do loads of flip
Japanese - very fast technical low string work
French - very smooth, lots of body combos with 1 diabolo
British - cheesy, stupid, funny, Donald :-P
American - Big tricks, speed up, big trick, etc... (ok, this isnt really a style as such, just thought i'd add it in for Matt)

But as has been said, there are people from each place that do other styles, and there are also a bunch of other little styles if you want to really break it down.

fildas

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 11:32:09 AM »
oh,styles is everyplace equi....this is my opinion....
.....sorry, my english is not good.....

Mithew

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
Quote from: norbi

what exactly do you mean by "flip".  Who are some good diaboloists who do chinese style??? Fildas, i totally disagree.  Although not all people in a place use the same style, there are some broad generalizations that categorize the diaboloing style that tends to be used in each place.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 05:30:06 PM »
Mithew, go watch cirque du soleil and you'll understand what norbi means about the chinese ;)

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 05:46:03 PM »
chinese is acrobatic and partner oriented. again, whatch quidam or La Nouba or Solstrom/Seven fingers of a hand. In the duo seven fingers and a hand act, they have one diabolo the whole time between the two of them. their last trick, one is on the others shoulders with a diabolo, throws the diabolo, does a backflip (so from standing on shoulders back to standing on shoulders) and catches the diabolo. its more of a circus style, and there are troupes usually instead of individuals.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Mithew

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 05:56:45 PM »
thx, i understand a lot better now.

Vojtas

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 12:50:07 PM »
what about the Czech style? 8)

lol...just kidding... there is no czech style (or I dunno about it :wink: ) :lol:
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 11:14:04 PM »
Czech styles seems very similar to French and Finnish, so I guess it all goes under the umbrella of "European" style.
Quote from: Norbi
That's what I'm talking about  :D  But like Sharpes says, when I've seen it, it is a troupe activity, it's more about the person than the prop, it just adds an element of difficulty in there, like juggling with a head balance.

I believe this topic was brought up a lil while ago wasn't it?  And Australians are gonna feel a bit left out soon...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

juggleBG

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 12:32:49 AM »
Norbi said American - Big tricks, speed up, big trick, etc... (ok, this isnt really a style as such, just thought i'd add it in for Matt)

I'll vouch for this being a legitimate style.  Its similar to the American "vegas" style toss juggling: focusing on big tricks and stationary motion, or moving around the stage as a way to go from big trick to another big trick.

fildas

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 07:02:51 AM »
Quote from: Vojtas
what about the Czech style? 8)

lol...just kidding... there is no czech style (or I dunno about it :wink: ) :lol:
yes Vojtas,I want also know,what is czech style.... :)
.....sorry, my english is not good.....

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 08:44:57 AM »
I've seen a couple of czech videos and from what I have seen I would say harlequins and hyperloops. But some videos are different to this. Similar to Finish people I think.
Behind your back is your front.

topher

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 09:10:59 AM »
i think everybody developes there own style i met a guy who just did tricks that felt nice to him this made his routine flow really well
if someone with multiple personality disorder threatons to kills themselves is it considered a hostage situation?

Nathan

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 02:48:25 AM »
Its difficult to speak of a definitive american style. There are very few prominent american diaboloists to reference. The Sharpes fit into your description nicely, but two isn't enough well known diaboloists to call what they do a "style"

Yes, I am aware that I'm excluding matt hall and ryo yabe from this example. They live in america, but Yabe is (duh) from japan, and Matt Hall does call himself the sensei...

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 03:20:24 AM »
Matt Hall does call himself the sensei...

that's because he is ;)

Stevey

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »
apparantly when i diabolo i look like a monkey :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal