Author Topic: Active sun motion: Yufi's video  (Read 18722 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Active sun motion: Yufi's video
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:56:38 AM »
A while back I promised Seàn_ that I'd post something about this topic. Someone on jongle.net brought up the topic of an active sun motion that accelerates diabolos and allows for endless 1 diabolo combinations.

One of the best examples of this is Yufi from the Czech Republic. He has a well developed understanding of motions to keep a diabolo spinning while combining endless combinations of graceful one diabolo moves. I had forgotten about this video until recently. It is one of my all time favourite diabolo videos (if you can get over the Blair Witch style camera work ;) ) and maybe some of you haven't seen it.

It's at: http://www.zongler.cz/  Have a look under "Videa" on the top right corner and I'm talking about the video "Diabolo in Tasov_2003_LQ" which is the first video available.

I have converted an MPEG version, so if you can't view the video in the original codec, you can contact me personally and I'll send it to you. (I don't want to do it publicly because I don't have his permission).

Yufi has one of the most mesmerizing 1 diabolo styles I have ever seen. He can improvise jaw-dropping 1 diabolo sequences that seem endless. Definitely worth watching!

Sean

martijn

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:37:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Sean! I'm downloading it now... can't w8!! :D

seán_

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 07:25:46 AM »
He's really good. I like this kind of stuff, just linking and keeping the flow.  Really nice to do late at night at conventions when you are in the music room, or in the park,  or whenever the mood takes you.

just keeping it flowing, lovely

Paul

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:11:15 AM »
I cant dowload it. THe connection gets reset by the server. How frustrating!!!!!!!
Peace

Eduardo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:19:15 AM »
I can't download it either, 404 error...

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 01:59:16 PM »
It's working for me right now. Does anyone speak any Czech or Slovakian so we can ask Yufi if we can help him out with a mirror, or mirror an MPEG version... or so I can just plain tell him how much I love his video, style, and skills? :D

Sean

Effingc

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 02:47:59 PM »
rockin video! that guy’s really good… almost as good as me! :P

“mpeg version” huh?  :?  what does mpeg stand for? oh well never mind....

martijn

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:08:12 PM »
It's a nice video!  :D
.mpeg / .mpg is an other video file... like .wmv, .avi and so on..

Arjan

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 09:56:25 PM »
Isn`t that guy in the category diabolo EJC movie? around 0:50. If not, then who is this guy on the purple shoes or socks?  :lol:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 10:54:23 PM »
oh btw Effing, its a little late now (and you said you didnt care, but oh well... i dont care :wink: ) .mpeg means "Moving Picture Experts Group".
and is just a way of encoding a video, so that its a nice size for you to download and yet still a nice picture.

diabololi

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 10:19:48 PM »
I haven't been able to get the video, but I have been trying ifninite sun combos and I can do a basic 20 or so sun combo (either side of body) from a roll start with no prior acceleration. Is this what you are talking about?
Oli

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 10:58:47 PM »
yes that`s exactly what this topic is about.

seán_

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 11:35:26 PM »
Quote from: Arjan
yes that`s exactly what this topic is about.

That and the style of diabolo where you go from move to move in a flowing style with no breaks for chinese whips or other speed up methods, just using suns and other tricks that drive the diabolo to keep the diabolo spinning.

Tom_G

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 08:41:08 AM »
Whenever I do suns the diabolo seems to slow down not speed up - am I doing something wrong?

(I can't get the video to work either)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 09:17:56 PM »
Quote from: Tom_G
Whenever I do suns the diabolo seems to slow down not speed up - am I doing something wrong?

(I can't get the video to work either)

Basically when the diabolo is moving from right to left along the string, assuming right handedness (arh), then it will pick up speed, you can sun to take advantage of this, for me clockwise suns seem to work best but I can gain speed from both directions. If your suns are moving the diabolo from left hand to right, or just leaving it in the middle then you will loose speed.

I just realised I am being a bit slack, the suns I mostly mean are half suns the ones that end with the diabolo on an open string, not the big suns which put a twist into the string (though these can be used).

Anyway, try these excercises. With the diabolo spinning enough so its stable (ie just fast enough, not mad) do a few open orbits, notice how it keeps speed and even gains it, then from an orbit, using a simmilar motion, do a small/half clockwise sun that finishes by coming down between your right hand and body, then do the same but do a few suns in a row, notice how it keeps speed (or adds it).  
Try it with short CW suns that start by coming up between your left hand an body as well. One of the things that you are looking for is to get the diabolo rolling along the string during it, pulling with the right hand to add spin and being gentle with any pulling with the left.

Anyway hope that helps, give that a go then try it with other kinds of sun and see what happens

Tom_G

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 12:38:12 PM »
Quote from: seán_
I just realised I am being a bit slack, the suns I mostly mean are half suns the ones that end with the diabolo on an open string, not the big suns which put a twist into the string (though these can be used).

I don't understand exactly what you mean - how do you do a single sun from open string and end on open string? If you go around the left stick and then land the diabolo between the right stick and your body, it ends up with a wrap around it, like in wrapped orbits, and not on open string. Sorry if I'm being dim  :?
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »
Quote from: Tom_G

I don't understand exactly what you mean - how do you do a single sun from open string and end on open string? If you go around the left stick and then land the diabolo between the right stick and your body, it ends up with a wrap around it, like in wrapped orbits, and not on open string. Sorry if I'm being dim  :?

Not really, maybe my fault since it was ten years ago that I learnt suns myself I might not have the right name.
possibly 'side suns' or 'half suns'

how to do the sun without putting a wrap on it.
Get the diabolo spinning, turn so you face the axle
swing it up between your arms (two ways to face two ways to swing, oh and watch your face)
now keep doing these but turn less each time until you dont turn to face the diabolo at all but it passes between your hand and body.

Basically what hapens is, the sending it over the left and letting it drop in the middle will give you a wrap (as in wrapped orbits) but allowing it to drop closer to your armpit  will take the wrap off. (LHBW on RHFW unwrap off)

Tom_G

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 04:41:20 PM »
Not really, maybe my fault since it was ten years ago that I learnt suns myself I might not have the right name.
possibly 'side suns' or 'half suns'

Oh right, all becomes clear - I call them side suns (and I completely forgot about them  :oops: )

Thanks  :)

Hoop

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi, I apologize if this is too much of a beginner question, but I can't figure it out.  On the Diabology DVD, JiBe does a sun combo of "Sun to the front, then Sun to the right" he then repeats it over and over without crossing strings.  How is this possible?   :?

seán_

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 01:35:25 AM »
Hoop, have you got a timecode for that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal