Author Topic: Silly pickup  (Read 17144 times)

el_grimley

Silly pickup
« on: November 30, 2004, 02:57:23 PM »
For the last couple of years I have been picking up the hub of the diabolo between my big toe and the one next to it. Which if you lift you foot up behind your other leg come right to your hand.*

Though people might like that save keep bending over all the time.

Graham
*Nb this does not work if you are wearing shoes :P
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

murifri

Silly pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 03:07:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of just whipping the diabolo while it's on the ground.  Very lazy but cool looking as well.  You get the whipping sound that seems to grab everyones attention.

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Silly pickup
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 03:19:20 PM »
Quote from: el_grimley
For the last couple of years I have been picking up the hub of the diabolo between my big toe and the one next to it... save bending over all the time.

ahhh... the ultimate in laziness. I like it. :D

The finesses were engineered with that lip on the cup so you could kick them up... does anyone actually do that? ...consistently?

Sean

Arjan

Silly pickup
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 03:31:04 PM »
I use the same methode like above, but I don`t kick it up by the lip in the edge... tryed, but no suc6 ever.

Moe

Silly pickup
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:36:53 PM »
Seems that I'm the only one who's stupid enough to acctually bow down and pick it up with my hands.... :)

(hmm.. gotta learn that toe thingy.. :wink: )

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Silly pickup
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 06:30:39 PM »
i put my foot on the cup to bring the other side off the floor a little, put the string under and lift.  I thought that was pretty standardm but all you guys either kicking it up or bending down and getting it, i almost feel left out.

MattF

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 06:34:33 PM »
Quote from: Sean
so you could kick them up... does anyone actually do that? ...consistently?

Sean

I have never seen that. Is there any chance you or anyone else has a video of someone doing it?

Arjan

Silly pickup
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 07:25:27 PM »
Quote from: norbi
i put my foot on the cup to bring the other side off the floor a little, put the string under and lift.  I thought that was pretty standardm but all you guys either kicking it up or bending down and getting it, i almost feel left out.

We`re talking show pickups  :wink:  Usually I also pick it up, or put the string under like you

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »
Quote from: MattF
I have never seen that. Is there any chance you or anyone else has a video of someone doing it?

Well if you give me 100 tries in front of a camera I'll get it for you! ;)

Eduardo

Silly pickup
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 07:53:35 PM »
I do the same as Norbi

seán_

Silly pickup
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 12:48:20 AM »
Quote from: Arjan
Quote from: norbi

We`re talking show pickups  :wink:  Usually I also pick it up, or put the string under like you

Just as an aside, I was taught years ago that it's bad practice to stand on the bell to lift it to get the string on it (can distort the bells of some diabolos) so I drape the string in front of (behind woulf do) the diabolo, then use the stick to roll the diabolo onto the string.

Sometimes I'll try and cheat a diabolo from the floor by using one foot to roll it up the leg to where it can be reached. but usually that fails so I just  look pitiful until a juggler throws it to me with the wrong spin :)

When one comes rolling accross the gym floor I usually try and flip it up with a handstick

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Silly pickup
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 12:01:49 AM »
I use a similar, if not the same method as sean_.  I hold the sticks in one hand in the v-shape for whip catches, put the ends down either side of the diabolo and roll it away from me (onto the string) then in one smooth move lift up the sticks, reverse the roll and lift the diab, quick and easy.

kragen

Silly pickup
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 12:23:15 PM »
I can occasionaly whipcatch the diabolo from off the floor, with the same speed as a normal whipcatch, looks kinda cool, but it just leaves the diabolo on the string rather than spinning on the string!

Usualy I just do what JGherkin described
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Bowmanjo

easiest way to pick a diabolo up
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 12:53:57 AM »
By far the easiest way is to put the string near the far side of the diabolo, then cross your arms over then back again. This almost definitely gets the diabolo on the string everytime. very handy.   :)

TimEllis

Silly pickup
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 02:39:03 AM »
Eric kicks it up with his foot in the Baguettes and Diabolos section of Diabology.  Well, then he kicks it at Antonin ^_^
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

KaTurN

Silly pickup
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 06:07:57 AM »
i push it to the left then lead it with my right stick until it just kindah roles on there

This is for playing in the steet when you dont feel like going all the way let the immaginary audience be bored for a few secs

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Silly pickup
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 11:59:10 PM »
yeah, I just do a behind the back foot kickup, then have it go over my head from left to right, turn to the left and albert whip it. I usually get it in shows.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Squiggle

Silly pickup
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 03:22:32 AM »
i just roll the diabolo with my foot  so it rolls onto the top of my foot .Then lift my foot and grsb the diabolo.

i like cheese

Chiok

• Donator
Silly pickup
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 12:45:04 PM »
Quote from: Sharpes
yeah, I just do a behind the back foot kickup, then have it go over my head from left to right, turn to the left and albert whip it. I usually get it in shows.
Woah, get that on TOTW wouldn't you?  How do you kick it up from behind the back?  Do you not wear shoes?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Silly pickup
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 01:30:16 AM »
it was a joke, although I have gottten a kickup into two like in diabology once
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal