Author Topic: What do you wish you'd learned earlier?  (Read 15605 times)

ADubhlaoich

What do you wish you'd learned earlier?
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:06 PM »
Hey. I've been doing diabolo for about a year and a half; Last night, after showing someone how to do an internal/through the arm sun, I started to ask myself what kinds of tricks I'd probably show someone early on so they could understand diabolo better and therefore learn better. I learned how to do an inverse trapeze before a regular trapeze, for example, and it made darkside catches less confusing given the prior experience with how string would act when wrapped.

Is there anything you wish you'd learned earlier? Did some small but obvious realisation hit you for a move you'd been working on that made everything afterwards easier?

One of the Irish people lurking about.

AznnBoyaZ

Re: What do you wish you'd learned earlier?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
Probably Slowcide Mini Genecides. I could do EVERYTHING that was Genocide related (Aside from behind the back ones) and I just, never bothered to learn it.
2 weeks ago, I tried, and it took me forever to get the deed done. (SfourX, I remember watching your Tutorial, 4 years ago, and quite a few times after and never trying it out bahaha!)

As well as Triple, Quadruple etc Vertex Genocides. I put those off for a few years to be honest.

And Yoyo style string/slack tricks. Those are so fun. Shoutout to Langerz, Crackers, and Michal Z.!

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »
Should've learned 3 high when I had the time to practice for it. Nowadays it's holding me back from a lot since I don't have the time to keep up a proper skill level with it.

Also string control tricks with 3 low. God damn it reverse cascade is a bitch right now...
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:15 AM »
Oh Christ. 2 and 3 high. I can't do either still.

5p3ak

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
Oh Christ. 2 and 3 high. I can't do either still.

try toss 1 diabolo in the 2d high pattern and add another, you'll get it soon  :-D
Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MaFiaZai

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
The movement for 2D vortex eluded me forever. The small realization of the frontwrap being smoothly held/delayed rather than violently pushing forward took a long time to get for someone practicing alone. It took me watching a video of I think Ofek doing it super exaggerated and slow (maybe because he was so small :-D) to get it.

Graham Milligan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
Learning normal orbits with 1D, it makes wrapped accelerations so much easier to get the hang of.
Some Craic!

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
try toss 1 diabolo in the 2d high pattern and add another, you'll get it soon  :-D
I have no place to practice High either haha.
I guess I'll do more serious training over the summer!

MBg4

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
The movement for 2D vortex eluded me forever. The small realization of the frontwrap being smoothly held/delayed rather than violently pushing forward took a long time to get for someone practicing alone. It took me watching a video of I think Ofek doing it super exaggerated and slow (maybe because he was so small :-D) to get it.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

5p3ak

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
@OP: 3D low... I've only been exposed to 3D low like two or three years ago, and I notice my country is kinda slow in advancement of tricks ? I noticed in this forum you guys start talking about 3D low since around 2006...

I have no place to practice High either haha.
I guess I'll do more serious training over the summer!

Ahh I see.
Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MaFiaZai

JT

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
I agree with the 3D low! I put off learning it for so long (mainly because it was not very fun to start with :S ) But now its the most fun with diabolo I think I've ever had. I also wish I had learnt minicolumns (2D, not 3 lol). It has given me such a good understanding of how diabolos work.

hirsh21

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Am i the only one to think that the number of diabolos is not important ? haha

To me, it's probably the control of the diabolo and the sticks so -> all the suns and suicide/duicide/genocide that you can imagine ! ;)
And after the wraps, knots and all things with the string :)

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
you aren't the only one

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
@OP: 3D low... I've only been exposed to 3D low like two or three years ago, and I notice my country is kinda slow in advancement of tricks ? I noticed in this forum you guys start talking about 3D low since around 2006...

Here in Ireland diabolo isn't too popular; there's only a handful of us who do it regularly, and very few can get a 3D shuffle going let alone pull off tricks with it. Pretty much all of us check this forum quite regularly too, haha. Can be a bit hard learning things without having someone to bounce questions off of.

As of late I've been working on 1D leg bounces to co-incide with 2D columns and it's made a world of difference in how to pull off a lot of related moves. I'm also revisting a bunch of magic knots I know for vertax work.

Am i the only one to think that the number of diabolos is not important ? haha

Definitely not, though admittedly I have neglected 2D in lieu of 1D regular & vertax tricks. There's just so much **** to learn and I don't think I'll have a comfortable 2D vocabulary for a while. Still hoping to push myself so I can get a 3D shuffle before EJC.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »
After having a go with it yesterday...to rimthrow with the left. It makes a double duicide start SO much easier it's unbelievable. I've always used the overhand throw for that one (still do for single duicide btb release) but rimthrow is about 100% easier to place. You can just keep it centered by thowing it "over" the duicide (from back to front).

If you haven't learnt it yet go for the rimthrow you'll be glad you did. Now to add the pirouette. 8)

Timo

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »
After having a go with it yesterday...to rimthrow with the left. It makes a double duicide start SO much easier it's unbelievable. I've always used the overhand throw for that one (still do for single duicide btb release) but rimthrow is about 100% easier to place. You can just keep it centered by thowing it "over" the duicide (from back to front).

If you haven't learnt it yet go for the rimthrow you'll be glad you did. Now to add the pirouette. 8)
Sorry, I didn't understand that. What is a rimthrow? And what is a duicide again?  :)

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »
Sorry, I didn't understand that. What is a rimthrow? And what is a duicide again?  :)

By 'rimthrow' I can only assume he means the toss diabolo start that involves holding the rim of the cup on one side. The more common ones people start out practicing are a cup toss where your hand holds the diabolo underneath it, pulling up when holding both cups, or the axle toss, where you grip the axle with your hand over the top of the diabolo, pulling down when you release.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 07:40:52 AM »
Sorry, I didn't understand that. What is a rimthrow? And what is a duicide again?

This first trick but currently without a single (or double :P) pirouette. Frebourgs signature 2D start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3e9_zJDQ2Y]

^How did you embed again?

The Void

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Timo

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »
This first trick but currently without a single (or double :P) pirouette. Frebourgs signature 2D start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3e9_zJDQ2Y]
By 'rimthrow' I can only assume he means the toss diabolo start that involves holding the rim of the cup on one side. The more common ones people start out practicing are a cup toss where your hand holds the diabolo underneath it, pulling up when holding both cups, or the axle toss, where you grip the axle with your hand over the top of the diabolo, pulling down when you release.
Oh thanks, I think I now understand  :)

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:27 AM »
The in front and behind the legs sun, it's not that hard, but I only learned it a few weeks ago.
fluffy kitty

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
The in front and behind the legs sun, it's not that hard, but I only learned it a few weeks ago.

Is that the through the legs variation? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

CASERocks

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 04:46:54 AM »
You know how you can get into 2D Sprinkler two ways: External wrap (the "easy" sprinkler) and internal wrap?  The internal wrapped sprinkler took forever to figure out.

Also, the 2D C-Fan.  Learned that about 7 years after picking up diabolo!

Richard

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 03:27:00 AM »
Meditation - since practicing it daily, my diabolo learning has accelerated and I'm enjoying practice sessions much more.

Timo

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
Meditation - since practicing it daily, my diabolo learning has accelerated and I'm enjoying practice sessions much more.
With meditation?

Richard

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 03:05:46 AM »
With meditation?

Mindfulness. I started with listening to an MP3 I bought, however I'm sure there's dozens of guided meditations on YouTube.

It's really helped my concentration and overall enjoyment of diabolo. I find that I get much less frustrated when things don't work. And I make my mind relaxed while practicing hard tricks, which is MUCH better for learning :)

Very simple to practice, however extremely hard to keep up the routine because it doesn't give you any immediate gratification.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal