Author Topic: Catching a vertical diabolo?  (Read 10528 times)

MBg4

Catching a vertical diabolo?
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »
Does anyone have an easy, fast way to catch vertax? I use a finesse so whenever I try to catch one, after a UFO grind or whatever, it's very hard to do Richards reverse catches, since the finesse loses alot of speed from the grind. I've also tried a right backside then switching the handsticks, but it still doesn't have enough speed.

kyoflow16

Re: Catching a vertical diabolo?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »
maybe a whip catch? tony frebourg does it here at 0:30

Tony Frebourg Five high with Juggle Dream Typhoon Diabolos

MBg4

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
maybe a whip catch? tony frebourg does it here at 0:30

Tony Frebourg Five high with Juggle Dream Typhoon Diabolos
This is gonna take ALOT of practice to nail it every time...

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:05 PM »
Catch it normally near the dominant stick? Fastest way there is...or maybe I don't understand the question?

JT

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
I find continuing from UFO grind fairly hard as well. obviously the more speed you have when you do it, and the shorter you grid for will make catching easier, but if you really want a long grind (in a performance for example) maybe just consider catching with your hand and doing a nice throw in?

Jordan

MBg4

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »
K, thx everyone. And to diabolo88, I find it hard to do this. I've tried to do this after I watched Alexis doing it.

Richard

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
One of the hardest things about catching from a UFO grind is that you have to throw the diabolo up a little before you try to catch it. Therefore the diabolo is moving upwards then coming down when you're trying to catch it (unless you're fast enough to catch it at it's highest point).

I think it's a lot easier to use a magic knot exit and try to catch that way, because the diabolo doesn't move up or down so much - it will exit on the same plane as your string and you can quick catch it while it's "hovering" in mid air.

Because of the way gravity works, there's always a point where the diabolo will stop for a split second in mid-air. Ideally this is the point you should try to catch it.  This is the same for regular reverse/darkside catches - it's a lot harder to catch them if you throw the diabolo high then try to catch them on the way down (because they are accelerating due to gravity and not just travelling at the same speed).

Does this make sense?

Also, another thing I've noticed with vertax is that EVERY trick is HARD :)

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
I never thought about it. I just kinda do a left handed dark side, and switch sticks or magic knot it haha! It seemed to just come nature to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MBg4

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »

I think it's a lot easier to use a magic knot exit and try to catch that way, because the diabolo doesn't move up or down so much - it will exit on the same plane as your string and you can quick catch it while it's "hovering" in mid air.

Backside to magic knot is what you mean here, right? And with the magic knot, do you guys do a single trapeze swing around and catch ,or do you guys do 2/3 trapezes to get the diabolo back to the normal state on the string?

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
I do a left backside, a sun under the arms, and then a double righthanded trapeze (Magic knot)

Richard

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »
I never thought about it. ... It seemed to just come nature to me.

This is why guys like you never make good teachers - cause stuff comes natural ;)

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
Hey hey! I was a diabolo teacher for 3 years at my Chinese school! I won an award for best teacher, performer and most improved all 3 years.

MBg4

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
Hey hey! I was a diabolo teacher for 3 years at my Chinese school! I won an award for best teacher, performer and most improved all 3 years.

congratz! You and Richard always answer my questions... ever thought of starting diabolo tutorial videos?

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
Thank you!
And ya know, Not really. Hmm. I might have to if it's requested enough.
What would I begin with? I could do some more advanced tricks. Richard has all of the basics, and many intermediate down. (No disrespect, I learned virtually all of of the tricks in my foundation from you, Love ya Richard :D)

Richard

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 03:20:52 AM »
Thanks,

And no disrespect to you about the natural comment - this is just what I've found generally in the juggling world.

Yes, I've set up this site http://diabolotutorials.com

If anyone ever wants to make any tuts, that'd be great! Would love to add them to the site. And yeah, there's mainly only beginner and intermediate tutorials on there so would love some advanced stuff :)

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
I'll give some popular 1D etc tricks a go!

MBg4

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »
Can you do an integral tutorial? Y'know, one of those integrals from a kyocide (or whatever you wanna call it). Cuz i still can't get any of them! (I can do the "kyocide" to mini gen,kyocide to left hand infinite suicide, and another thingy where you pull your hand around the diabolo, which is kinda like the first step to right hand string infinite suicides?) oh, and I can do the tomicide(not from the kyocide though).

Ah! An integral like this is what I wanna learn: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA5Stkff0A

Graham Milligan

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:51 AM »
if you can do left hand infinite suicide then you are halfway there to learning that trick in the video.

all you need to do is go into your left hand infinite and then with your right hand follow the string down from your left stick until your right stick has released from the diabolo. Then in this moment you must under catch (darkside whatever you want to call it) x2  with your left stick.   Then release your right hand from the string and start all over again  =]
Some Craic!

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
I'll see if I can find a good angle to film in etc!

MBg4

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
if you can do left hand infinite suicide then you are halfway there to learning that trick in the video.

all you need to do is go into your left hand infinite and then with your right hand follow the string down from your left stick until your right stick has released from the diabolo. Then in this moment you must under catch (darkside whatever you want to call it) x2  with your left stick.   Then release your right hand from the string and start all over again  =]
yeah, I can do this part, just not the integral(releasing both sticks) part.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal