Author Topic: 2 Diabolos high  (Read 24373 times)

diabololi

2 Diabolos high
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:33:31 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm learning lots of 2 diabolo tricks and I'm getting more comfortable with 2 diabolos, but I really really want to learn the basic 2 high. I'm not getting anywhere with it (1 catch or 2 on a good day  :(  )
Any pointers?
Thanx
Oli

Arjan

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 04:48:52 PM »
Yeah, go from a wrap or trapeze, then throw the other diabolo in the air, and try to throw the other one underneat it, with a bow to the other site, and create a nice fountain... well just go from a wrap, or trapeze (stopover?) and then you`l see it.

barnesy

• Administrator
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 04:56:02 PM »
I get into two high by popping a diabolo a little higher from my left hand.  That gives me enough time to make a normal throw with the other diabolo.  From there, it's just a case of putting the practice in.

martijn

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 05:19:14 PM »
Yes, and try to correct your throws. If you throw too much to the right, start working on throwing a bit more to the left... the start with trapeze stall is very useful I think! :) And practise a lot, I don't get many throws either... I don't have the space for it, just once in a gym at tuesday night. But that gym isn't high enough for siteswaps... :(

Sean

• Administrator
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »
Great question Oli! and I'm in a writing mood... so get ready to read....

Here are some things to think about:

1. Perhaps the most important thing to getting 2 high solid is where you look. You want to stare at the axle of the diabolo that you want to catch next. It is tempting to watch the diabolo that you just threw... but surprisingly this diabolo is likely not in the same plane as the diabolo you are about to catch and as a result you will tend to miss the incoming diabolo. Well, that's exactly what I was doing at the beginning, at least. This becomes even more of a problem when learning 3 - less time and more objects to distract you. If you watch the eye motion of diaboloists that are really good at 3 high (or 2) you will notice that their eyes are following the diabolo they are about to catch.

Basically, you want to follow a diabolo you are catching in and then quickly switch to look where you want to throw it, then once you have thrown it, switch to staring at the diabolo that is now coming down.

2. Realize that the motion should be relaxed and fluid. You want to find a consistent motion that works for you. This will be hard at first, but realizing that you are aiming for this will be helpful. Doing high diabolo patterns isn't about just throwing the diabolos up repeatedly, it's about discovering a smooth motion that catches and launches the diabolos in a consisten pattern. I was struggling badly with this until I saw some of the MFP doing 3 high in person... then it clicked within a couple days. It's all about a relaxed consistent motion.

3. Keep your arms wide and the string taught when there's no diabolo on the string. Aim to reduce your upward arm motion in throwing and to instead focus on horizontal hand motion. There is some up and down motion of course... but it's easy to overdo this at first. Starting with short string (as short as waist height) will help make the pattern smoother and more accurate at first. Increase the string length to normal over a period of time.  

4. Another aim is to keep the diabolo on the string for as long as possible. If you are right handed, you want the diabolo to be caught by the right hand, roll along the string fully, and be launched when closer to the left hand.

The biggest piece of advice with respect to all these points (besides endless practice) is to watch someone who is really good at high patterns and observe their motions carefully. There are some good videos of Tony, JiBe, Ryo, Baptiste, and Priam which come to mind that might be of help to watch carefullyl

Oh, and don't even try and learn 2 (or 3) diabolos high somewhere where there is ANY wind at all. Even if the effect is subtle, it will play havic with your pattern and your mind - you need consistent feedback on what motions do what. Once you have some control over it, practicing in slightly windy conditions may force you to improve your understanding of recovering and correcting the pattern. But it can be VERY frustrating - be warned! ;)

Sean

diabololi

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 05:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the long post, I really appreciate it. I always practice outside in the street, (the road has a barrier in the middle so no cars)  so that might be my problem. I'll try starting with a trapeze stall but there's not much I can do about the wind, (stupid English weather!) but I'll post my results.

Oli

MattF

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 06:03:03 PM »
thanks for the info on this subject. A great question and great replies. I personally tend to throw the diabolos forward too much when i do it. I also know what you mean when you say about that wind diabololi

Arjan

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 06:06:06 PM »
The wind sucks, and I believe if you throw them to much in front of you, you have not enough time in your pattern? Isn`t it? Experts needed!  :lol:

martijn

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 09:25:27 PM »
WOOHOO! :D 2d high is relaxed!!! I went to the gym tonight with the local juggling club :wink: And my 2d high pattern was so solid! It's so cool! I even can do 31 constantly now!  8) (one high, sun, high, sun...) I definately going to practise some more! :D
However, this gym is to low, sow that's frustrating if you want to try 420 or 411...

Xardok

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 09:37:37 PM »
I'm certainly no expert, for I manage about 5 catches when I do 2 high. I had the problem of throwing them forward too much, too. I figuered it's because you tend to have your sticks pointed inwards as it is most often in the shuffle, and this causes the diabolo to go forward. The effect is obvious: You keep running after them and you'll never be relaxed.

el_grimley

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 04:55:21 PM »
One of the biggest reasons for a moving forward (whilst in the air) diabolo is a slight swing forwards in your arms. As sean said it is important to keep the motion compleatly horizontal.

To start using some of physics terms if you imagine side to side is x, forwards and backwards is y and up and down is z. When people throw high all the power wants to come from moving in x only. but people tend to accidently add a little y (usually in the form of a curve stating close to the body and then moving further out as the arms got up the body.)  Which is why you diabolo will travel in the y axis.  Which is also basic newtonian physics.

I'll expand on this later tonight

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 04:20:42 AM »
Tonight I was working on two high and getting about 10 catches at best.  The diabolos kept tilting towards me though.  They ended up tilting and falling off the string.  Is it just my throwing that's screwing them up?  Guess I have to just keep practicing.

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 06:14:21 AM »
Quote from: |}{|  Julian  |}{|
The diabolos kept tilting towards me though.

Assuming you are right handed, you are likely angling your string on the axle. Your left hand is too far out or your right hand is too close to your body... or your whole body is turned to the right. By angling the string you will affect the tilt. Try it with one diabolo with an extreme angle and you will see. It's really the same as how you tilt one diabolo when it's on the string. The solution is probably to consciously angle your whole body towards the left from what you are doing now.

If your diabolo starts turning then you are probably rubbing the front or back of the diabolo - in other words, you aren't catching or throwing straight up... usually you aren't getting underneath the pattern enough.

Of course, eventually you can use all these methods to correct diabolos while they are in a high pattern (and by tapping the cups as they come down with the stick... but that takes a long time to get solid).

Sean

diabololi

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 01:26:59 PM »
20 catches!!! Wehey! I know it sounds silly but it's prbably the most exhilerating thing I have ever done! Especially throwing one very high then doing a figure 8 sun! I just love it when I mis-throw and they come crashing down (my head doesn't)
Thanks guys
Oli

Sean

• Administrator
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 07:30:17 AM »
That's great, Oli. Have you tried throwing one high and Chinese whipping the other one? That's another one that feels great.

Wait 'till you get 20 catches of 3 high... you'll be on your knees! ;) (It's not necessarily that far away either. I think I hit 20 catches of 3 high about 3 months after 20 catches of 2 high. Of course, that all depends how much you work on it. :) )

diabololi

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 09:49:38 AM »
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

wes

• VotW Contributor
2 high behind the back
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 06:12:14 PM »
I've been trying 2 high behind the back, but I can't toss diabolos precisely. When diabolos are tossed up, they tend to become leaning. :(
And if I want to toss precisely, I can't do high position.  Do you have any tips of this trick?(example: the way to practice or a knack)

MattF

2 Diabolos high
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 06:41:49 PM »
hi Wes, this thread should help you with the 2d throws, there is all sorts of tips and advice in here:

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=119&highlight=high

wes

• VotW Contributor
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 09:05:29 AM »
Oh, thank you MattF for introducing the 2 hight thread. I couldn't fint it. :oops:
This will help me very well, and I practice a lot. :wink:

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
2 Diabolos high
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »
I never get to practise siteswaps apart from a lil bit once a fortnight in southampton...I can do the basic 2 high in my room tho lol, its a low pattern but it helps practise aim  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal