Author Topic: 2 Diabolos high  (Read 24931 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Re: 2 Diabolos high
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »
if the diabolo starts tipping forward, I've got my left hand too far in front
Are you left handed? If so, then yes. Otherwise, it's the other way around. Try making small orbits with 1 diabolo. Experiment and you'll see.

tipping my head back to look up causes me to throw behind me?
Not sure about that one. Most people having problems throwing forward. Look where you want to aim and practice lots.

it rotates slowly but surely clockwise, though no tipping happens.  Is that because I'm not catching on the axle, but catching the cup instead?
Yes - if you catch it slightly off-center the string will rub the cup and turn it slowly. Doing that on purpose, however, is much more challenging!

Make sure to stare at the axle as it comes down. Try experimenting with different hand and stick positions. That might solve it.

Gah... I'm a noooob.
Everybody is at most things. Just practice. :)

2, 3, or 4d high is more about finding a relaxed repeatable fluid motion than it is learning to throw each individual diabolo correctly. If you can see someone who's good at it doing it in person that just might 'click' for you. If not - study some videos and practice some more.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
Does anyone has some tips for the pattern? I can't create the pattern =( I'm practicing it with 1d to but even with 1 I can't make that fountain pattern..

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »
how can you not make the pattern with 1d? all you do is throw the diabolo from left and catch it on the right. it is absolute basic.

not too hard with two either. keeping it going on the other hand can be tricky.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
how can you not make the pattern with 1d? all you do is throw the diabolo from left and catch it on the right. it is absolute basic.

not too hard with two either. keeping it going on the other hand can be tricky.

Yea but when I try it with 1d I always move to much! I can't make the pattern and stay on the same spot or just move a little. No the diabolo just doesn't stay in the pattern..

n3mo

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
don't even try 2d until you can get the 1d pattern solid. keep track - when you say you have to move to catch a throw, are you always moving the same way? adjust your throws accordingly... for example, i have a tendency to leave my throws too far left, so i consciously practiced keeping my left hand a little higher, tossing farther to the right, and i straightened myself out.
- Princeton Juggling Club -

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »
don't even try 2d until you can get the 1d pattern solid. keep track - when you say you have to move to catch a throw, are you always moving the same way? adjust your throws accordingly... for example, i have a tendency to leave my throws too far left, so i consciously practiced keeping my left hand a little higher, tossing farther to the right, and i straightened myself out.

I'm practicing it with 1 now.. And I keep having the same problem. My trows are either too far to the right or their going backwards..

JJesse

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
You can correct your pattern when you get a new problem. If your diabs tend to fly to the right, focus on your hand movement and how high your left hand is. Same applies to throws going backwards, figure out how you can correct it and it's fine. Also remember to practise.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
TY ALL!

I can do it now! Somehow the pattern is easier to make when doing 2 high instead of 1 high. I can get up to 20 catches now! Going for the 100  :-D

Oblivion

2high
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
hello
some weeks ago i started playing 2d,i can now hopefully correct em and i can also do some tricks like sprinkler,mini columns,and transfers.After Watching some videos,i noticed and realized that i dont move my right hand at all (i am righthanded)  .I dont know if this is normal,but the diabolos are shuffling without any problems.Also,i cant understand the effect that the right hand motion provides.i cant neither understand the way i have to move my right hand to achive that ''unknown'' effect.I believe that this maybe the reason that i cant go 2d high.Is this a common problem or i am the only hving that?I read at 2diabolo.net an extract but it didnt helped me.Can u please explain me the way the effect works
Tnx in advice
obl

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: 2high
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 12:41:35 AM »
One of the reasons you problably can't do 2high is that you have only been 2 in general for a few weeks, it takes practice so just stick at it.

The right hand adds extra spin to the diabolos, just watch other peoples shuffles in videos to get an idea of the motion, however if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Richard

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
hello
some weeks ago i started playing 2d,i can now hopefully correct em and i can also do some tricks like sprinkler,mini columns,and transfers.After Watching some videos,i noticed and realized that i dont move my right hand at all (i am righthanded)  .I dont know if this is normal,but the diabolos are shuffling without any problems.Also,i cant understand the effect that the right hand motion provides.i cant neither understand the way i have to move my right hand to achive that ''unknown'' effect.I believe that this maybe the reason that i cant go 2d high.Is this a common problem or i am the only hving that?I read at 2diabolo.net an extract but it didnt helped me.Can u please explain me the way the effect works
Tnx in advice

The right hand is VERY important to drive the diabolos along the string, thus speeding them up faster and keeping the shuffle smooth.  I teach a lot of 2 diabolo beginners and I normally tell them to practice these things once they're comfortable 'lifting' with their left hand.

1) practice doing 1 diabolo under the leg - see how your right hand needs to 'drive' it under the leg to get acceleration. It's a very subtle movement.

2) start your 2 diabolo shuffle using just your left hand like you normally do - get comfortable with the timing/beat.  Then stop moving both hands and simply watch the diabolos - you should notice that both diabolos still keep their pattern for maybe 3-4 cycles (or more depending on how much speed they've got).  This exercise helps you to free your mind from thinking that you need the left hand to assist.   Do this a few times and maybe every time you practice using your right hand.

3) start your 2 diabolo shuffle using just your left hand like you normally do - get comfortable with the timing/beat.  Then stop moving both hands, watch the diabolo's go round in the shuffle once or twice and then start 'driving' with your right hand (driving is pushing the diabolo down the string to your left).  ONLY use your right hand (this is just an exercise).  Timing will be an issue when you first start but don't worry - the key is to break away from using your left and switch completely to your right.

4) once you're really comfortable switching from the left to the right, then try to use both hands - get the right hand driving and then start lifting with the left.

remember, just be patient and KEEP PRACTICING!!! - this can be quite a frustrating period for you now because you can already get the shuffle going and learning to drive with the right hand can make you feel like you're taking a backward step. However it is imperative that you learn the right hand drive.

2 High is a totally different concept/trick - this takes a LOT of practice and I'd say you need to practice your 1 diabolo high/orbit a LOT first.

Then, when you're comfortable with 2 low, learn to 'pop' one diabolo to approx head height.  Once you can comfortably do this, you can then throw the 2nd diabolo high and start 2 high.

I hope this helps.

Rich

Oblivion

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
Tnx for your tips broncobob,i found your comment very helpfull,i ll go check these things in action,Cheers!

Edit: After practising and doing the exercises broncobob told me,i am having this problem:When i keep the souffle go on and use my right hand to speed up the diabolos,I am having a ''columnlike''  effect,where the one diabolo is in orbits and the other is doing columns on the middle  string,I think i'm doing something wrong.
obl

4leek24

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 04:56:34 AM »
Tnx for your tips broncobob,i found your comment very helpfull,i ll go check these things in action,Cheers!

Edit: After practising and doing the exercises broncobob told me,i am having this problem:When i keep the souffle go on and use my right hand to speed up the diabolos,I am having a ''columnlike''  effect,where the one diabolo is in orbits and the other is doing columns on the middle  string,I think i'm doing something wrong.

it could be one diabolo is losing momentum. you have to make sure you drive both diabolos, not just one. when using the right hand, just move your hand in a clockwise circular movement. when your stick reaches the bottom of the circle, you should be driving a diabolo to the left. i had the same problem with the column thing when i started 2d. keep practicing and good luck.

Richard

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »

I'd recommend more practice - when people are first starting out with 2, it's normally the timing that causes problems.  Timing can't be taught, you just have to put the hours in. This can be a frustrating point for you because it seems like you're taking a step back. Keep at it!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal