Author Topic: Japanese Whips by Diabolumberto, Jongle.net  (Read 35592 times)

nicoli

Japanese Whips by Diabolumberto, Jongle.net
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
vertax slack whips - can anyone do them?

i can get a basic underwhip at about 10-15 degrees off vertax. i do 2 underarm suns and a left fritz release out of it to get back to open sting without loosing momentum.
and i can sometimes get a vertax overwhip but it looks very unimpressive because i have to unwrap it straight away to stop it screwing up.

Also, does anyone do double overwhips? recently my overwhips have all started coming out whith double trapezes and i was wondering how to controll weather it comes double or single.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »
To do a you only need to make a semi-cicular motion with your whipping hand and to do a double make a full circle.
Behind your back is your front.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 06:03:25 PM »
If you get a double whip then whip alot slower, whips are easyer and more effective when done slow.  Double whips have been done for ages, I have a cool exit from a double reverse to record. I have to disagree with guppy, a double is just a fast single but you hold the stick closer to the diabolo than usual the mostion is no different.

Bill.
Bill.

TyeTye

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
thought i might mention...   Jim from diabolotricks.com took my post and posted it...  I might be able to talk to him, and add more to the list.. whenever people get them ironed out.... (might)

here's the preliminary page.  http://diabolotricks.com/Japanesewhips.htm

sean - How do you make the loop big enough to get around both cups?  :)

Also.. In teaching others the basic J-whip and C-whip, they sometimes throw a the loops on the other side...
like.. they make a right side J-whip motion, and it ends up in a left-side trapeze...  I have been unsucessful in finding the best way to do this...  Anyone.. Any Pointers?

Doublewhips.. you're making 2 loops right after each other? or is it just wrapping around twice?

nicoli

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »
they make a right side J-whip motion, and it ends up in a left-side trapeze

this happens to me sometimes
i think you go for an overwhip catching the left stick and the diabolo but the string falls off the right stick

Doublewhips.. you're making 2 loops right after each other? or is it just wrapping around twice?

wrapping round twice with one whip

(how do i do the "TyeTye wrote" thing)

TyeTye

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 08:23:31 PM »
i think you go for an overwhip catching the left stick and the diabolo but the string falls off the right stick

not quite right, I think nicoli

When i've seen them do it.. it's like you do the whip.... and don't hit the string with the handstick again... so it doesn't so much fold the loop over the handstick... instead the loop just travels to the other side... and goes around THAT handstick instead...  

i think if you do the whip... catch on the other stick and allow the first stick to drop out.. you end up with a different thing...  
example...  right J-whip front cup + left Stick = pseudo cradle....  drop out the right stick and you don't have a trapeze...

i'm saying they do a rightside j-whip and end up in Leftside Trapeze.
Strange....

Tye.

seán_

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 09:54:39 PM »
Quote from: TyeTye

sean - How do you make the loop big enough to get around both cups?  :)

with skill and grace :P

I just give it a bit more slack than usual and a decent sized loop. I get a weird knot because it catches on the right stick, I let it slip off and voila

nev

• Donator
Re: Slack Whippy Goodness
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »
Been playing with these the last few weeks (since bill showed me the 'no cup to magic knot' one which I like at lot).  I also like the one that goes under the axel and onto the left stick (straight to cradle).

Anyhows, I can also do a J-whip / trash's web combined - i.e. a trash's web with the bottom part of the web J-whipped under the axel (in one motion).

OTHER

Throw a C-whip over the left hand-stick... and it creates a loop that you can then poke the right stick through......  you can then do 2 counterclockwise suns to end up in a cradle.  (will do video when i can)

Can't work this one out - are you talking about a right C-whip over left stick only or stick & diab ?  From trying to work this out I got a web horizontally between both sticks a few times, but the timing is hard to get consistent (from a right C-whip over left stick only and catching back roung right stick).

Also.. In teaching others the basic J-whip and C-whip, they sometimes throw a the loops on the other side...
like.. they make a right side J-whip motion, and it ends up in a left-side trapeze... I have been unsucessful in finding the best way to do this... Anyone.. Any Pointers?

I've had a go at working this out and can get into it occassionally.  Problem is I have to forget the slow controlled whip style and go back to the fast 'whip the stick hard into the string' style most people do when learning.  This makes it hard to work out what is happening as it goes so fast.  You can also whip straight to frontwrap with a similar action.  

From what I can tell, it requires the loop to slip off the right stick as it moves towards diabolo and twists so that the string closest to the tip hits the axel and the other part of the loop travels round the outside of far cup. (whip with an inside to out action i.e. slightly across plane of diabolo away from your boby to get the twist action to work) loop then goes over left stick and hey presto - left trapeze.

Like I say though, it only seems to work with a fast action (think this is needed to get the loop to twist as required) and is hard to get to work consistently.

Whilst trying to get this I found you can send the loop in a wave up and over the left stick.  Right J-whip loop under axel (not round either cup) but let it slip off stick and it will travel like a shockwave up string and cause a C-whip on left stick which, if your quick, you can overwhip on diab to also leave a left trapeze.  Anyone else working with this?
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

TyeTye

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »
mycini! good to see others working a lot on these babies...  :)  heh

Can't work this one out - are you talking about a right C-whip over left stick only or stick & diab ? From trying to work this out I got a web horizontally between both sticks a few times, but the timing is hard to get consistent (from a right C-whip over left stick only and catching back roung right stick).

This is done without the diabolo at all....

you have ...

Hopefully that clears up that business.  :)

So the key to the right-thrown left whips... is letting it slip off, so the loop travels to the left stick... goes around the left stick, and catches on an axel?   And it must be done fast so the loop doesn't degrade?

I think i see what you're saying.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:01 PM »
So the key to the right-thrown left whips... is letting it slip off, so the loop travels to the left stick... goes around the left stick, and catches on an axel?   And it must be done fast so the loop doesn't degrade?

Thats the second way but not the way learners do it....  The way you describe as leaners often do by mistake (when trying a normal J-whip) catches on the axel first.  Since my last post I've got them more consistent - you need a flick of the wrist just as the loop slips off the string to get the twist part to work.

Basicaly, to do it in a way to understand what is going on, lay it out on the floor.  Normal J-whip loop then turn right stick back towards you (or flick wrist in real time) as loop slips off stick to create the twist.  Part of loop nearest tip off stick hits axel and the other side of loop swings out in front of far cup of diabolo & loops up over left stick. (oposite of normal J-whip where bit of string looped over stick hits axel and bit near tip goes outside far cup)

PM me if you cant get it from this.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

nev

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »
you have ...

Hopefully that clears up that business. Smile

looks from the pic like the same thing as I was talking about that I discovered when trying to work it out i.e the web between sticks version.  Still cant work out how to do the 2 suns to cradle though.  Please enlighten us all on this.

Here is a vid of the following whips to clarify things.
http://mynci200.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/diabolo/whips.mpg

Whips shown are:
1.  Web between the sticks (C-whip over left stick & poke right tip through loop - pull apart to web)
2.  Right J-whip to left trapeze (as learners often do by mistake when going for normal J-whip) - Flick the wrist to get loop to slip off stick so string nearest tip hits axel and also twist so string nearest hand swings out and around outside of far cup + up onto left stick (same thing without cathing on left stick gives you a plain frontwrap).
3.  J-Whip / Trash's Web combined - bottom part of web is in J-whip position  (same as if you do a normal trash's web then take diab out and lift it up into middle triangle of web).
4.  Shockwave - Right J-whip under axel and let slip off stick (loop will travel up string like a wave and up and over left stick - then you treat it just like a left C-whip i.e.  round far cup to left trapeze).

The last one theoretically has many variations that could be explored I think.

Hope this helps.

Please post any other whips / techniques ideas etc as I love them at the moment even though my arm aches from whipping.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »
Please post any other whips / techniques ideas etc as I love them at the moment even though my arm aches from whipping.

Here you go. I've been in the lab recently working out some new slack web-style tricks.
Web-o-rama
Unfortunately, its hosted on my work site so you will have to left-click, and it ruined my logical file name.
Enjoy!
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

TyeTye

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »
oooo.. nick..  those are... pretty!  :)

Will message if I have a problem picking those up.... they seem pretty cut and dry, but they're Very "magic knot, how the heck do they just come off"ish.   :)  

::applauds::

john_s

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 12:40:01 PM »
thanks for that, nick - really glad you decided to film them in the end. i can do the first one pretty much every time now - what's odd about it though is i always end up in some kind of eiffel tower on the left hand side of the web! looks pretty great though, and very satisfying.

i really enjoy experimenting with slack tricks - the only downside is you can end up in some horrendous knots. it once took me almost 20 minutes to untangle one string, and that was with 4 people trying (i'm quite proud of this).

still, all in the name of diabolo creativity, eh?

/john

TyeTye

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 07:25:19 PM »
Sir Nick.  The first two, after a little practice were doable.. however i'm having problems seeing where your arm + slack goes on the last trick... could you explain in words?  

Thanks if you can.

tye.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 10:53:20 AM »
Yeah, those are sweet - many thanks for sharing.  

I'm also having trouble working out that last one (which is my favourite).

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 01:53:17 PM »
Glad to hear that you like those tricks. The last one is my favourite, too.
The entry starts like an inverse trapeze, crossing the right stick over the left one. The slack loop is then thrown with the same action as a normal under whip but the movement is exaggerated and the right arm comes around under the left. The slack loop created here doesn't go around anything, but comes with your right arm under the left arm and then comes over the diabolo's far cup and left stick tip from the far left in a clockwise direction. I then uncross my arms by turning the right stick so that it is pointing upwards, then taking the stick around the far side of the diabolo. No strings come off the sticks and you should end up in the web position.
The exit is done by passing the left stick to the right hand, then taking hold of the left-most string from around the axle and throwing the diabolo over the right stick between your body and the held string. Let go of the string held in your hand and the diabolo should be back on an open string.
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Good Luck.
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Rivid31

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 06:28:43 AM »
Awesome. My friend wes always does tricks like these, but I haven't gotten around to asking him about them yet, this got me started a little bit tonight. I'll practice them more at the convention tomorrow. Thanks to Sean and Diabolumberto for the translation/videos and everybody else. I'm still confused on whats going on in Trash's Web though. Could somebody try to give a written explanation? Thanks.

Edit: I found another discussion on this at http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=51&highlight=trash+web but any additional hints would be appreciated  :D

john_s

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »
the trash web is a strange one - i didn't get it at all for about 2 months, and even struggled to sit down on the floor and work it out. but now it seems so simple, and i once did 26 in a row (far too much spare time) so i'll do my best to explain.

firstly, i find it so, so much easier to do it slower than both trash and all other videos i've seen. keep a longer length of string on your right rather than your left, and keep your right handstick pretty much parallel to the left one. when you're ready, lift up the right stick a bit to get momentum and straight away try and form the web (this is the tricky bit). the motion is up and out to the right (not just out, the up is important, about 45 degrees) and then an almost horizontal snap back to where the right stick was originally, remembering to keep it parallel with the left stick. the shape is almost a D shape, where the stick is pulling up to get momentum (only a lot smaller) and the curve is the whip motion itself.

the further away your right stick is from your left, the bigger the web will be. when the sticks are too close together the web will collapse a bit, and it doesn't look very good.

i hope that helps - oh, also, when learning this i found my short carbon and alu sticks to *really* not help. a set of long carbons and it worked like a treat - i can even do left handed ones now! (purely to learn that 2d trick of the week though).

good luck,
/john

Rivid31

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2006, 10:37:20 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a go after I get a little better at japanese whips. I think I understand how its done, but actually doing it would be the difficult part :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal