Author Topic: Japanese Whips by Diabolumberto, Jongle.net  (Read 37198 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Japanese Whips by Diabolumberto, Jongle.net
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
Diabolumberto, I hope you don't mind me posting this here for you... these videos are far too useful not to be seen! ;) Thank you so much!

Diabolumberto announced some short video tutorials on jongle.net of various Japanese whip variations, including the web whip that Trash did in the Brussels freestyle video that so many people where confused about.

Here is a translated version for all you who don't speak French out there (again, correct me if I mess something up Diabolumberto, or if you'd prefer to write this yourself just let me know):

Translation follows:
--------------------------------------------------------
Because there was a demand to understand certain whips (notably the one by Trash), I made some videos with whips, with some slow motion sections, and with some different angles.

The double whip - it is 2 basic whips (2 inferior/backside?, external) done with 2 hands at the same time.
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/double_boucle.wmv

Trash's Web - don't worry about the diabolo for this figure, it is the loop that goes around the string and is caught on the right stick that you must concentrate on:
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/eclair_trash.wmv

The cross by a cross-over (cross from above) - the loop of string on the right is passed by the left stick, underneath the diabolo and comes around to catch the right stick.
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/croix_par_dessus.wmv

The cross underneath - the loop of string passes underneath the diabolo and catches onto the left stick.
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/croix_par_dessous.wmv

The one handed cross - the 2 sticks are held in one hand and are not crossed... it is like a normal whip but done with the 2 sticks.
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/croix_une_main.wmv

And, finally a small combo (inspiration for the start from Antonin) that I won't explain...
http://diabolumberto.free.fr/combo.wmv
--------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you want anything changed/removed. Merci infiniment de faire ces videos, Diabolumberto... vraiment sympa! :D

Sean

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:18:49 PM »
haha, thanx for the mention Sean. Yeah i would love to see them all in mpeg pleeeeeeeeeez :wink:

thanx anyone.

diabolumberto

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 09:58:12 PM »
Thank you to translate for me.... :)
Trick of the week : http://diabolumberto.free.fr

Arjan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 10:10:07 PM »
Damn that last combo is nice!! Congratz on it! Credits go out to Antonin tough ;)

martijn

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:04:39 PM »
REAL COOL! :D Nice clear vids Diabolumberto! Thanks for the translation Sean! Maybe I'll get it now... :wink:

Rusty

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 07:07:02 PM »
Wow, that is really nice, now I can get the basic japanese whip sometimes. Maybe I can try some of those cool tricks.

With all these different whips, I hope I can invent a norwegian whip sometime  :D

Rusty, Norway

martijn

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:45:24 PM »
Sometimes I can do now: That web by Trash or a cradle from above... But it's just a matter of luck... :(

Punkerpanda

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 04:23:04 AM »
hey, i was wondering.....how does the very basic japanese whip work?

i was trying this earlier, but i wasnt sure if i was doing the whole idea of it right. i would really appreciate it, if somebody could explain it to me

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 04:26:21 AM »
Quote from: Punkerpanda
hey, i was wondering.....how does the very basic japanese whip work?

For a right handed whip - first hold your right hand higher than your left. Quickly whip your hand down. A loop of string develops which must then wrap around the axle of the diabolo and remain hanging on the stick. You are basically throwing a loop of string around the diabolo. Keep the stick angled up to keep the loop from falling off the stick. Easier said than done. ;)

xsupergirlx

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »
do you know of anything that could come off of a j whip/ 'slack whips'?
apart form c.cradels
The show must go on...

nicoli

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 09:49:02 PM »
inverse j-whip to cradle is the easiest one, just like a trapeze cradle

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 11:05:14 PM »
Hey nicoli..

Quote from: xsupergirlx
apart form c.cradels

Try some suicide stuff, there is A LOT to be discovered, i have a lot, but i have barely scratched the surface.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 08:54:12 AM »
I've become quite enamored with them of late too.  A right hand j-whip dropped out will leave you in a right hand minigenocide set up or big genocide if you fancy.

If you do a left hand and a right hand whip (if you have enough string) then hook the tips of your handsticks through the string, you can pop the diabolo out to a nice sturdy Tiger Cradle.  And if you have some more space, hook the tips through the string again and it'll hold the diabolo in so you can turn it to the side and upside down and then back around again (thanks to JGherkin for teaching me that).

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 04:41:29 PM »
Nick wrote a nice guide in http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1054

Quote from: Nick
Unfortunately, Japanese whips or slack whips are difficult to explain in words. It is much easier to give a demonstration. If you were at the EJC in Ptuj there was a great workshop on slack tricks by a Czech diabolo player (Rezi?).
I shall attempt a description of the two basic slack whips. (From a right handed view point).
1. Slack whip to trapeze:- From an open string (Normal position)
- Lift diabolo upwards gently. Diabolo should NOT leave string.
- Bring right hand stick into the string on RIGHT side of diabolo from above.
- This should form a loop of slack string around the right hand stick.
- This loop travels over the top of the hand stick and catches the diabolo around the far cup.
- The diabolo should now be a trapeze position.

2. Slack under whip
- Lift diabolo upwards gently. Diabolo should NOT leave string.
- Bring right hand stick into the string on RIGHT side of diabolo from below.
- This should form a loop of string around the right hand stick.
- This loop travels under the hand stick and catches the diabolo around the far cup from underneath.
- The diabolo should be in a position that looks like a trapeze, but isn't.
- Throw the diabolo over the top of the left handstick and let the string drop off the right hand stick.
- You should now be in a right backside position.

I hope that this is useful and makes some sense. These tricks are much easier to learn from somebody showing you, so you should go to a convention or a local club and ask someone to show you.
The first thing that you should practise is making the loop and understanding where the loop is formed. A good way to practise this is to take just the sticks and string and try making the loop around the right stick and catching it over the end of the left stick. This puts you in the Cat's Cradle position. Once you get the hang of making the loop, try doing it with the diabolo on the string.
As for string length, I'm sure whatever you usually use will be fine. It would probably be harder with a very short string, but any reasonable length should work.
Hope that this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
Good Luck,
Nick.

TyeTye

Slack Whippy Goodness
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
Hey.. thought i might add my discoveries in the whip business....  there are many more than i had considered.....   (hope this works for a place to post)  :)

So.. of the 2 basic whip types i refer to them as J whips.. and C whips...  

J-whips because the hand movement you make is like a J  (underwhip)

and C-whips because the hand movement is like a C   (over-whip)

So.. possible variations i've found that i can do on a regular basis... are...

(assuming Right-handedness)

J-Whips

J-whip front cup  -  throw over the left handstick when you're done and you're in the right back-side.

J-Whip Front Cup + Left Stick - This leaves you in a pseduo cradle.  all you have to do is pop it up and catch like a normal cradle.

J-whip Back cup - this require a little more aiming. Once whipped.. throw over left stick to be in OPEN position.

J-Whip Back Cup + Left Hand Stick - Takes you into a full cradle.  (Same as C-whip front cup + left stick)

J-Whip No Cup (under axel) lands back on right stick.  - Leaves you in a full spaghetti. (http://diabolotricks.com/Knots.htm#spaghetti)  To Release, you can just throw it up, inbetween the sticks... (One of the neater looking whips I think)

J-Whip No Cup + Left Hand Stick - Full Cradle.

C-Whips

C-Whip Front Cup - Hey, A Trapeze, YAY! Throw diabolo over right handstick to go back to open string.

C-Whip Front Cup + Left Handstick - Full Cradle.

C-Whip Back Cup - This is HARD to aim... (For Me) Throw over the left handstick to be in a left backside. (I think... No diabolo in front of me to double check)

C-Whip Back Cup + Left Handstick - Can't do yet, i'm sure it'd work though... given symmetry of moves... :)

C-Whip No Cup(Under axel moves) Can't do either of those yet either... they would seem to be awkward to catch back on a stick.... but i'd assume possible.

OTHER

Throw a C-whip over the left hand-stick... and it creates a loop that you can then poke the right stick through......  you can then do 2 counterclockwise suns to end up in a cradle.  (will do video when i can)

Trash's Web... (boy... this one took me a long time.  Thanks trash... jerk. :)  )  
Throw slack around left hand-sticks string... and get the loop caught on the right hand-stick again....  This one has been explained a bit on these forums.. and you can find it just by doing a search on trash.

1 handed whip..  you can put both hand-sticks in your right hand and j-whip OR c-whip...

Also to note...  you can go into a double cradle by doing a J-front cup whip with your left hand then do with your right hand, (both interchangeable, or do both at once)  then open it up.... (aka... left stick pulls right string, right stick pulls left string... to free the axel, so you can throw it up....) and catch it in a cradle....  there will be 2 cradles that the diabolo is on top of.

Well, I think that's it for whips that i can do.... right now anyways....  please if anyone has anything else...   Post!  Lets see what we can come up with.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 08:55:16 PM »
There are loads more do a left hand trapeze and do a rh underwhip and you end up in this kool locked position.

Here's my favorite at the minute rh underwhip aim under the axel and it will wrap the axel and the remaining loop will catch the stick. Then your in a magic knot. (credit on that one goes to Bill its a realy nice one)
Behind your back is your front.

TyeTye

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »
yeh guppy... that right j-whip around the axel caught back on the right stick is definetely one of my fav's.... sometimes difficult to do though, for me anyways... especially with the yellow henry, as it's so wirey.. heh...

and the first one you described.. i think is the same as if you do a left handed c-whip  (overwhip) and then do a right handed j-whip (underwhip)  right?  Or is it something different.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 09:12:35 PM »
If you mean doing the lh overwhip first then yeah it will be the same thing.
Behind your back is your front.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 09:47:31 PM »
I really should make a video of all the whips I know and we really need to all use the same names as there is about 4 names for each whip and it's getting worst than the whole Excalibur / vertax / horizontal plane diabolo.

Bill.
Bill.

seán_

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
J- whip both cups gives you a knot, pop diabolo out ala hook/loop then catch or whip diabolo to remove the knot.

Donald Grant has been working on some whips, I'll see about posting a video

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal