Author Topic: Diabolo World Records  (Read 5643 times)

RecordSetter

Diabolo World Records
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
Such a great diabolo community here. So many videos are mind blowing and you experts are very helpful.

I invite you to check out this diabolo world record video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawvwMIq-A4. Hope you like it! Are there any other high throw videos out there?

There's tons more diabolo world record categories at recordsetter.com. Feel free to create your own category too. This is the newest: http://recordsetter.com/world-record/perform-infinate-suicide-diabolo-tricks/36677

...161 consecutive infinite suicide rotations. I think its amazing but if anyone here can beat it please do!

Wis

Re: Diabolo World Records
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »
Those two records are unbeatable :) I must confess I have spend the whole night awake trying to beat them, lost 2 diabolos... I got very close to the tossing one, but the camera got disconnected :)

Now, being serious, many people in the diabolo community pay little attention to records, so do not be surprised if more feedback similar to the above one, arrives. So many members of this forum could beat those records, even me. There is some interest on records, though, but not all the community has it. So, baseline, some people like records, many not, these two are a bit too easy :)

Welcome to the forum, enjoy playing and have fun. Almost as good as a fresh record :)
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

TomasCZ

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Those two records are unbeatable :) I must confess I have spend the whole night awake trying to beat them, lost 2 diabolos... I got very close to the tossing one, but the camera got disconnected :)

Now, being serious, many people in the diabolo community pay little attention to records, so do not be surprised if more feedback similar to the above one, arrives. So many members of this forum could beat those records, even me. There is some interest on records, though, but not all the community has it. So, baseline, some people like records, many not, these two are a bit too easy :)

Welcome to the forum, enjoy playing and have fun. Almost as good as a fresh record :)

Yeah, I'm sure somebody will beat the infinite suicide record soon.

TomasCZ

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Btw, today I achieved cca 500 consecutive infinite suicide rotations (I got bored then :P).

RecordSetter

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
Btw, today I achieved cca 500 consecutive infinite suicide rotations (I got bored then :P).

Can you make a video and post it? We love watching world records get broken. Just click 'Challenge it!' below this video.

http://recordsetter.com/world-record/perform-infinate-suicide-diabolo-tricks/36677

It might be an easy trick but endurance is the challenge. Infinite Suicide Marathon!

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Honestly, this RecordSetter site is a big joke... every single diabolo record in there have already been beaten, or they could altogether be beaten in about 30 minutes of recording... the only real place to find records would be on this site.
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Toddyupa

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Tipper here. It's a fine idea, but for any actual diaboloists, they are probably gonna post their records here, and most of the records on that site could be beaten by us in about 10 mins if we took the time to bother.

On the topic of diabolo records, is anyone managing that old page anymore?
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7716.msg91673#msg91673
I'm one of the few people that seemingly care about records in the community and i would totally manage it if there was some demand for it.

EDIT: Or make a new page and manage that? Probably easier.
pretentious 12 year old

RecordSetter

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Thanks for this feedback. At RecordSetter, our vision is to build a video database that showcases the true limits of human achievement. In essence, we’re building a Wikipedia of world records. Our intro video is a good showcase of our vision: http://recordsetter.com/video

Given our bottom-up approach, there is definitely some “low-hanging fruit” on our site. We take the approach of “world record until proven otherwise”, allowing for the creation of records that are totally beatable.

The link Toddyupa posted has a ton of great stuff. I’d like to suggest that we start by building individual pages on RecordSetter.com that house these videos. (We can embed the posted links.) Toddyupa, would you consider helping create official rules for each category once that’s complete?

- Rob (Outreach Manager)

The Void

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »

We take the approach of “world record until proven otherwise”, allowing for the creation of records that are totally beatable.
HAH! , so what you're saying is, you can't be bothered to do your research, and please will we crowdsource it for you? Clever. Personally, I think that DCA is the best place for diabolo records. We are the diabolo community, and we know what's what with diabolo. (As you can probably tell from the sarcastic comments to those "records" above.)
I see no reason why we should support your commercial site, seeking a pat on the head from an organisation who just admitted they don't actually research the records they claim to uphold. And it's not as if you're even the sole site that sets itself up as a record recorder!

Have a nice day.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
Not going to comment on the quality of submissions or ethical implications of making the participants do all the work, but the criteria for record type seems to be as loose as the record themselves. There doesn't appear to be any review process; there are two records up for grinds, both of which are using ball-bearing diabolos. There are also records for incredibly similar variations of the exact same thing;  such as diabolos catches and diabolo catches while on knees.
One of the Irish people lurking about.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal