Author Topic: Tim Schulze @ EJC 2014 Millstreet, Ireland  (Read 13394 times)

Graham Milligan

Re: Tim Schulze @ EJC 2014 Millstreet, Ireland
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
sorry for any confusion. What im trying to say is, every trick when it is invented is a personal finding by that diaboloist. the difference between a personal finding and a mainstream move is just the amount of people who learn, practice and perform the trick after they've seen it. So i see it as unfair that Tim should be scolded because he took a trick whenever so many other tricks have been taken by everyone.

does this make more sense?
G
Some Craic!

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »
If you don't want your stuff to spread like butter, don't do it in public, don't make videos with your stuff on them, don't take photos or write about your stuff. That's how you can keep it on yourself. And definitely don't be surprised that even then somebody might do 'your' stuff anyway, maybe in very very private place or in a public meeting. Claiming tricks is like claiming single note or chord. Claiming song might make a sense but even then the western sense of notes is quite limited and quite often leads to situations where the claim kind of might seem to be wrong, even the song might be based on 'personal findings' of it's maker.

So in this sense, just don't claim stuff. If you claim, claim full act, not a combination of movements.

And the interesting question of claiming act comes after the D.ca collaboration video 2014 if I manage to edit it as an act. Who's act it is and who can perform it live?

here's just my 50cents on the subject.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

hirsh21

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
To me, no one can steal a personal research of someone. But if you do a variation of the trick, a real variation who can be a new trick, the original trick is just an inspiration and not a truly steal... there, tim did a real steal of the research of arjan, bogdan and some others guys i don't remember and it is not good. If one day i see someone with one of my trick on stage, i will simply **** this one and in my opinion it's a normal reaction... to me, make videos of our tricks is the best thing to do to say "now this is my property and if someone steal my work everyone will see that you steal my tricks"
Dont know if you understood what i said but however haha...

Wis

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
does this make more sense?
Very well clarified.

From the manners point of view I always thought that one should not use in videos or in performances other tricks of other people without previous approval.
After reading Samuli's and others' lines, I am thinking that maybe even this is not necessary, and maybe I am just too polluted by capitalism.
I am very motivated to try to create new tweaks of things, and I guess, I am motivated in order to be able to say 'I helped to enrich the culture of diabolo, that I love so much'. I somehow thought that stealing rather than improving hurts this enrichment, but I may be wrong. Maybe the walk thing got a bit lost in the 20 minutes of MIT, but now I am pretty sure more people will remember it. Additionally they will know Arjan filmed it for first time (that we now), but this wouldn't have happened if Arjan hadn't commented, not sure what to conclude. Possibly it is not bad to speak of the origins of tricks, but in a way as chilled as possible. Not in the "Hey, do you guys know who did that trick first?" "Shut up, who cares" way.

My current view is that one can use other people's tricks, it is something I would avoid to do, but because I think then your video/act is less valuable (compared to one with original/personal/at least own created material) since it is not the fruit of your own work (at least not as much as in the other case). And my opinion is that, even if it is not necessary, asking the author for permission is not only a kind thing to do, but something that will reward the creator a lot for his research. Not long ago I read in the FDC promotion through facebook that "sharing is caring", I think asking for permission and thanking is the perfect complement for a good sharing philosophy.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Arjan

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 08:42:37 PM »
I have been hesitant to write a reply, much is already been said, but I think I could still contribute to this topic. This won't likely be short as well.

Obviously there are no rules or laws about what to/not to do with a diabolo. People will all have their own opinion's about this subject, and will all do as they want and what works for them. This is the beauty of the object/juggling/art/life for me, there is always something for someone to fancy and/or find/develop. Ideally people would all find their own niche, their own area where they can be happy.   

Indeed I should have considered it being a compliment Tim, but actually I came from a self centred point of view and wanted to claim it as mine to possibly exploit. At the moment I'm not performing, but this "trick" is so different, it's a perfect ingredient for a diabolo act that sets itself apart from others. This sort of material I have been focusing on to find and develop. And still, it is very unique or outstanding within my repertoire.
See, setting one self apart from other act's in circus is rather challenging, especially when one does not intent on playing the harder-better-faster-stronger-card. I quickly came to realise what I did and didn't want when I started to get interested in diabolo and performing. Obviously at first I learned the basic of diabolo at the time. At some point I was lucky to be able to start finding my own tricks, combinations, versions, whatsoever. I wanted to do what I like and present myself to the world with new, fresh and original material. That is one of the reasons I did "MIT", to share. I was and still am inspired by Wes, and I'm certain that even though it's clear to tell I was inspired by his video's, it would not create an obstacle for the viewer, it would work anyhow on it's own, because I did the work. It doesn't matter what one chooses to do in arts, it's always going to require putting in lot's of energy and love I believe.
Cross-disciplinary inspiration has helped me out tremendously in finding stuff with diabolo. Looking at other juggling skills gave me idea's to work and do research into. Actually, I believe the best idea's for diabolo may as well be inspired by things far outside diabolo. Focus on what is already common material or "language" will not likely be ground for new ways, forms or patterns.

I'm a purist, I like things new and fresh. I want to hold on to my darlings for ever. Because I strongly believe and identify with my own material. I'm not doing diabolo to repeat what has been done before, why should I give an audience something they may have seen already? I want to be sure I deliver the most impressive diabolo act they will ever see, at least from me, and the diabolo is just partly important for most audiences.

To close this rather long and delayed post, I’m not sure if it actually contributes at all really to the subject. I have shared with you just what are my believes are at this point. I do want to apologise for my direct or harsh words, they were never meant to be hurtful. Thanks to Tim and everyone else for your posts, it gives me a good mirror of myself as a person and diaboloist. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal