Author Topic: 3d Suns  (Read 18950 times)

arnie

• VotW Contributor
3d Suns
« on: December 07, 2005, 02:15:35 AM »
Hiya,

I know there is a mention of 3 diabolo suns in this huge thread:

3 Asynch help thread page 10 (bottom)

However, I wanted to discuss the technique of this trick in more detail. I've noticed shifts in my own sun technique  from baptiste style to a sun more like tahias. My three pattern is synch but its an open pattern but I can move between synch and asynch but still trying to find that magic ryo yabe spot.  

I'm finding varying degrees of success with different sun styles but I tend to find that baptiste style suns get round but there is a lot of front and back movement but tahia style suns tend to end up in various wraps but if they do get round they get round successful.

I am wondering what styles people would liken their 3d sun technique to and how they are moving their hands (synch or asynch) depending on the base pattern they are using? Any tips for people working on suns or things that people have found helped them get this trick more consistent?

Cheers

Steve

p.s this is quite empty to 3d Suicides  :wink:  :wink:

Pete

• VotW Contributor
Re: 3d Suns
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:24:26 PM »
Eventually i want my suns to look like ryo yabe's. My shuffle is very similar to his. I don't like the way fred does his. Don't get me wrong it looks awesome but i would prefer it like Ryo's. Once i got the hang of the hand movement it was pretty easy, i thought of it as doing it up with the left hand and undoing it with the right hand but all in one movement. At the moment my suns are a mix of Tahia and Ryo. I just need to practice more.

Sorry Dave. typo. fixed now.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:53:04 AM »
Quote from: Pete
i thought of it as doing it uo wuth the left hand

That clears things up then :wink:

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
i can do sync and async, i can do syc for a lot longer and i can only do my suns only in sync but when i try to count 12312sun and things like that i find that i end if speeding up my pattern and crashing my diabolos so what i do is i count from my first ott all the way up 2o the i do a sun, i find that helps and still that only works for me somtime i also foundout that your hands move quite a bit faster doing a sun with 3 then they do with 2. but i must say if i havent diaboloed in a while i am hopeles at a sun and it takes me ages just to do 1 3d sun.
zack turner

chris_cabry

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 05:32:39 PM »
Quote from: ztt
ibut i must say if i havent diaboloed in a while i am hopeles at a sun .

Zack, you count 24 hours as not diaboloing in a while  :lol:
Two cups and an axle!!
2cupsandanaxle@gmail.com

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:44:47 PM »
well yeah, lol , but i ment about a week or more
zack turner

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 07:07:36 PM »
I also find if you think about its imposible, the best thing is to relax and just try and throught it because more times then not if i think about it and the timming and every thing i endup not being able to sun
zack turner

Nathan

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:19:29 PM »
My pattern started async, I lapsed into sync, and now I'm back to async. The way I managed suns in sync was to run the pattern as normal, then push two of the diabolos harder, and as the third one was being pushed, I puleed the first (and second) diabolo into the sun like motion.

I also just had a breakthrough with async suns. During the patern, to start the sun, push one of the caught diabolos slightly (as if it were async for a moment), then repeat this one the next diabolo caught, while pulling the third into the beginning of a sun. when the sun ends, move your left hand up to throw a diabolo higher and start the patten again from there.

General rule of thumb. Diabolos should be going the same speed (this is for all tricks, not just suns)

I hope I clarified or verified at least one persons views on suns. I know it's hard to describe tricks without a video.

arnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 12:17:41 AM »
ok thanks everyone for their input, i'm nearly there. for me i push the first one harder then the second one and then immediately after that i pull with my left hand. the sun goes round fine but then its just getting back into the shuffle next.  

steve

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »
I've heard (from Trash) that the secret to getting back into the shuffle is to continue the sun motion around a bit longer, i.e. don't stop too early. Not that I can attest to that... just passing on the knowledge.

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 12:15:25 PM »
it's a good advice from Trash(as usual :) ) but it's realy hard to know when you've to stop the sun!! so you can try to make jump a diabolo higher than the other and can begin your shuffle at the end of the sun :) (it's hard to explain in english :D sorry :D)

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 11:06:21 AM »
this is a vid of me doing some 3d suns

the link is
http://www.jugglethis.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=395
zack turner

gijs

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 08:10:39 PM »
hello,

I've got here a movie of my almost 3d sun, but I don't know how I go on with my 3d shuffel can anybody help me ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE6CVRczxLI

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 10:32:13 PM »
i am having prob;ems with suns at the moment. the problem is that it normally comes out with one diabolo wrapped, but when i do come out of it properly the pattern just collapses or they hit the floor.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »
This may sound a little strange but i actually learnt 3d suns straight from a wrap start. Seems a little weird as many people reccommend that the diabolos should be of equal speed before doing a sun. But for weeks I could only do suns from a start and then i moved on to doing it straight from the shuffle. I found doing it from a start made it easier to learn the end half of the sun because it was easier to do the first half so i didn't need to worry about the entry so much.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »
Gijs  (warning, no helpful stuff at all)..

I first thought you had a super frame rate and it was making it look like your shuffle was going backwards... but then you did the sun and like turned 180 into it.  I dont think i have seen that position for a shuffle before.  It totally looks like it should be coming towards you from your stance, but it isnt, weird  :P

seán_

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 12:21:24 AM »
I noticed the right side bias as well Norbi when i first checked this clip out. It made me think that a sun towards might be the way to go but I dont think anybody has really worked on that (maybe because most shuffles are right biassed, some central).
I also looked at Gij's clip with 2d in it and he seems like one of those that prefers suns on the right side

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
OK - somebody, please(!!) help me with my 3d suns. I'd sum up my progress with the diabolo over the last 3-4 years as having been stalled trying to learn the 3d sun. I know, I know, it's the first trick many people learn. Took me about 6 months with 2 diabolos before I could do a 2d sun and about 4 years with 2 diabolos before I could do continuous 2d suns, so let's just say that I'm "sun challenged".

Here's a clip that Duncan took of me last spring. It's pretty typical of my problems. One diabolo doesn't always pop off the front, although it often does. Every time there is one diabolo that stops dead with no momentum. Same thing happens if I do it with right hand only synch, left and right synch, small asynch, or a big asynch pattern. Same thing happens if I 'continue around further', or any other advice I can think of.

http://diabolo.ca/video/Sean_2008_3d_low_sun.mp4
(quality's bad... doesn't really matter here)

I like this video too because it illustrates the principle that the stray diabolo will always roll where it's most inconvenient.

Please, please, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? 2 diabolos continue nicely and the middle diabolo stops dead or pops off the front with no forward momentum.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Few things you could try out :
- When you move your shuffle to your left, keep your left hand in the same position and don't push harder with it (the opposite of what you're doing on the video)
- Just after the sun (even a bit before), place your left hand higher, with the stick pointing to the bottom-right.
- Try to slow down the sun near the ending
- Are theses taibolos ? Might want to try with other diabs to see if it makes a difference.

PS : Sexy shuffle you have there

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
Thanks - I will try those ideas. Those are taibolos, but believe me, I've practiced with every diabolo out there. Not making a difference.

It does seem to me that it all gets going too fast. Usually, when I try and slow it down I mess up the entry timing and end up sunning on air.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal