Author Topic: 3d Suns  (Read 19118 times)

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
Re: 3d Suns
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
lol ok.
I did some testing and tried to analyse what I was doing. I tend to have a slow shuffle and accelerate it right before the sun, you seem to be doing the opposite. Maybe different rythms ? Tried async also ?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
Yeah - if there's one thing I've gained over all these years it's a solid shuffle in whatever shape I want. Strangely, the result of the sun is always the same though. I just have the most consistent success entering a 3d sun in a synch pattern. The exiting problem is the same.

I think I do slow it down a bit before the sun. Mostly I'm going through the thousands of times I've screwed this up, and thinking way too hard. Basically, I've got some weird motion embedded in my brain now, and I'm struggling to do anything else. But I will persevere... :)

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
Also, try the feed the sun if you haven't already had. I find it much easier and got it sorted way before the regular sun.
I'm sure you'll get it soon, dunno why

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »
Sean, I'm having problems with this trick also -you aren't alone. To be fair though; I've only stuck my Fly's in fixed mode since Manc to practice my 3D, so if it's taken you 3/4 years I can't complain!
Behind your back is your front.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »
I always wondered if most people found feed the sun easier. It seems so counterintuitive. I should work more on that. I finally worked on getting my 42 suns more solid this summer.

I just tried slowing it down some more. Then I get to watch the middle diabolo slowly pop off the front and stop dead. There is something fundamentally wrong with the motion.

martijn

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
Although I can't even do 3 and don't know sh*t... To me it seems like you're stopping the shuffle when you're going to enter the sun. You slow the shuffle down and then take your focus off the shuffle completely, make the sun move with a lot of attention and then try to recover the shuffle. Wouldn't an async sun be easier to control? It'd feel more like a single cycle of a C-Fan, which has more force, more momentum. You'd have to start from an async shuffle I reckon.

I've always been a sucker with 2d suns as well, but ever since I learned the principle of async suns, I love doing 'em. Lots of tweaking possibilities!

Robski

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
Martijn is right, I watched it on slow-mo and you do stop the shuffle and then bring the left hand over for the sun, async shuffle might help you see it more clearly. I'm not really sure what causing the diabolo to go forward, maybe you move your hand forward right after the sun, or you pull the string tight which makes the diabolo jump forward.

And for the record, FTS is hard for me, on the bit where you get out of the sun (which is confusing since you have more momentum).

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 08:26:41 PM »
Thanks - I'll try some of these ideas some more and then film an asynch sun. With asynch, the start is much less consistent for me, but the outcome is similar. Still - it might make it easier to see.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 09:56:34 PM »
Hehe, that wayward diabolo's trip through the curtain looks pretty familiar.

3d suns rarely work for me but I think I'm making progress on them.  I first did one years ago and am still struggling so I don't think I'm any better off than you, Sean!  I think I've only ever done them from a synch shuffle.  I used to try to think 'push push sun' but am now getting them to go round much better with just my left hand.  That's not helped much by the 10 years or so I only ever did suns on the right (that oversight is now sorted).

Another sun tip is something Duncan said to me the other day - try a sun straight after a wrap acceleration.   That seems to help quite a bit when I get it right but I'm still screwing up the exit a lot.  But I'm hopeful it's near to becoming just a practice thing.  Like I've never thought that before...

yonm13

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »
Sean, i was wondering.. why sync? you had such a beautiful async..
My suns are kinda good by now. I can tell that a sun has to be done on a very specific moment, or otherwise its really hard to exit. You need to actually FEEL the right moment for the sun, then (push and) pull. The exit is basicly a strong right handed move, and back into shuffle.
Feed the sun is easier because the momentum from the feed reduces the need for the right handed push.
Try slowing your sun down. Try starting suns on many different positions. you'll feel it when it's the right timing.
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
every thing up to the exit is perfect do not change the entry. you have the exact technique that ryo uses. but you will end up with a sun that requires you to "move" the pattern. the common path of a sun is directly up and then around. the path that you need to concentrate on is bringing the pattern across your body.

so what i think you are doing is when you are half way through the sun prepping for the exit you stop the movement early. thus making the release of the first diabolo too high. your middle diabolo is relatively okay its that first one that is wrong. i think if you were to continue the movement over towards your right leg more you will find the sun less "explosive" and will rotate cleanly.

if you watch your left hand in the video it changes direction to accommodate the sun but then does not return to pointing at your right hand until you have lost one of the diabolos. as the third diabolo comes over you want to have that stick pointing back at your right hand thus making the pattern continuable. this should also lower the trajectory of the first diabolo and enable you to pass it under the second.

as i said before and only because i have watched that video almost 50 times now your left hand does not return to its normal hight after you have tried the sun. this would not help at all.

so to summarise:
bring the pattern across your body more
have your left hand pointing at your right hand straight after the sun
return your left hand to its normal hight as soon as possible

and watch as many ryo vids as you and he are almost identical in pattern orientation.

really hope this helps

Dave
Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »
I can do sun from wrap, feed the sun 2-3 but its just not working from shuffle, i did get a feel for it and landed about 6 of them but ive lost it completely, please tell me what im doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpWgxlGqlYs&feature=channel_page

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »
Can someone please help me  :'(

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
don't push with your right hand as you go into it. count 12312312...sun and point your left stick outwards more on the last 12.

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
Your shuffle is big and I get the sense you might just be trying a sun.
Try to sight one diabolo, and let that be the one to start it, then as it
comes around, push it back to the right side of the string.
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:12 AM »
now with your big and slow asynch shuffle it seems that you are always missing that 1 diab with your left hand so it flies out.  maybe you should focus on getting that diab first and then work from there. i could be HORRIBLY wrong but i hope i helped.
can't believe its not butter

monkiatzu

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
hey dodson, long time no talk
you know im no pro at 3 but!
i think there is a period at which you pause, just before you start the sun.
k what ur doing is perfect for a 2d sun, but 3d is different
not sure what to do, but yea
watch lots of sun vids, looks like a hard trick. hmm
maybe try starting the sun imediatelyfrom a shuffle jut when one hits the right side of the string... kinda might work.
anyway keep trying
feed the sunds looks better anyway lol

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Try to sight one diabolo

This is what I do. I spot one diabolo and I use it to time my suns (usually my white diabolo against my two red ones). Once that one hits your string and you're pulling with your left hand (no right hand movement outside of turning it to allow the sun to work), all 3 diabs are on the string and the sun should work (ha ha ha). Try doing a wrap acceleration to slow down the pattern and make the timing a little easier on yourself. If you can do a wrap to sun, its all the same timing - you just need that one diabolo landing on the string to start the pull.

I've never had to learn any of the counting methods, but I'm sure they work just as well.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
Two 3d suns in a row!! That makes number 2 and 3 I've ever pulled off. Last one was, what ~3 years ago. I'd like to thank 275g suns (and of course Nev), Duncan, barnesy, and all those of you who offered suggestions a few months ago.  If I lose this in the coming days I'm going to scream.

Edit - make that number 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 too. :) Strangest part is I have no idea what I'm doing differently. I think the biggest thing was watching Dave finally crack it when we were in Manchester. Then trying it a few times with the rock solid heavier suns. Learning through osmosis as usual. :P

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »
Congratulations !  :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal