Author Topic: Routine Concept  (Read 4032 times)

Tobi

• VotW Contributor
Routine Concept
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I'd like to start a little discussion about the order in which you combine 1, 2 and 3 Diabolos within a routine.
I thought a lot about this in the past and I am still not sure which way to go for myself. I always found the idea to start a routine with 3 diabolos and then go to 1 and 2 really nice because I was kinda bored of this 1, 2, 3 scheme in so many routines. But I also think, for the audience, 3 Diabolos could be more impressive than one, no matter how hard the tricks are. So the one Diabolo part could lose it's intensity when the audience already saw 3 or 2 Diabolos even if the tricks are technically on the same or a higher level.

At the moment I think, for my own routine, I'd like to go with one or two 3D tricks at the beginning then go to 1D which I try to fluently combine with 2D then go over to some vertax and finish with my "best" 3D trick.
With this order I hope to get the attention right to the beginning and keep that focus over the following 1 and 2D part. And of course I still save the crowd-pleaser tricks like vertax-gen and 3D fts-combo for the finish.

So what are you're thoughts? Have you already considered getting out of the 1,2,3 scheme or would you enjoy seeing this? Do you think this is a good Idea or do you have reasons to stay with 1,2,3? And what do you think a "non-juggling" audience would react to this in comparison to 1,2,3?

I'd love to hear your opinions to this!

Peace!

JT

Re: Routine Concept
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
I've always stuck to the 1 2 3 or 1 2 vertax 3 ( when my Vertax is more exciting then my 2) because starting with 3 might make that seem like the  standard thing for people who haven't seen much diabolo. Anything is possible with an act however and it's usually a good idea to start with a big trick. I think it could work well if you started with 3 high and finished with 3 low and high. Especially if the 3 high is short and snappy like a rocket start and you don't run it for long. That way you start with 3, but it's different enough from the rest of your diabolo stuff ( no speeding up and no 2D ) that the rest won't be boring by comparison.
It will be different, but whether it will be better then the 1 2 3 I don't know. That's not what makes a good act anyways.

If you're performing for jugglers then anything goes.

hirsh21

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
I prefer to be out of the schema... so if i have to do a routine with 1,2 and 3 diabolo, i will break the traditionnal 1,2 then 3 or 1,2, vertax then 3, because everyone do that. you have to keep in mind that the public is more with you when he knows that you are an expert. he's more careful. so i will do something like 2 diabolo to begin. to show that i am "an expert". then 1, then 3 and vertax to finish with a huge genocide combo hahaha. this trick is always very impressive for anyone :)

BUT i do only one diabolo in scene, and it's not because of it that i don't do the same :) i begin with a impressive trick to keep the audience careful, then my original routine and the big trick of the end to finish haha.

Graham Milligan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
start with your 2nd best trick. end with your best.
Some Craic!

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
Just mix it all up. If you just have nice way of getting rid of extra diabolos and lot of fancy starts to go straight in this would be awesome. Like most of the 'modern' 5 club acts are based on one or two club juggling while holding the extra pieces, either in hands, floor or wrapped somewhere. So I say that for modern diabolo routine you just need to do the same, easy as finding a mullet at a trucker's convention.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Pimmelknick

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »
i've had the same problem myself:
it's actually hard to keep the public's awareness and interest during the whole act simply because my 2 diabolo tricks (yes I'm still figuring 3d out...) aren't as good or as well executed as my smooth  :-D 1 diabolo tricks. I think that what you have to worry about are perfectly executed combos:
my point is that those combos are in the center of the act;  like the torso of a body on which the arms are attached: the big impressive and/or hard tricks that will blow the minds of the audience  :o . the order wether 1;2;3; or 3;1;2 doesn't matter as long as you don't switch to often the numbers of diabolos. Try to balance the act so that you don't loose the audience's attention.
But I think that in order to do an act you have to practice acting as well as diabolo because a good act is one where you see a lot of technical mindblowing stuff but a great act is one were the artist takes you to a journey in his world by acting for example as everything he's doing is easy and natural.

Hope I contributed to your research. Keep it up  :)
'' None but ourselves can free our minds. ''

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal