Author Topic: Best Diabolo? A beginner's perspective  (Read 3140 times)

Lt.Tom

Best Diabolo? A beginner's perspective
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »
So what is the best diabolo? I’ve been reading this forum on and off for almost 4 years, and that question comes up a lot.  I’m still a beginner after 4 years, because I researched for half a year, finally bought my first diabolo, then after a week my life got crazy and it was forgotten. Months later I picked it up again, bought a second one, played with it for a week, had a job change and forgot them of several more months. This went on for almost four years, until now. I’ve got 5 of the most recommended 5 inch diabolos. I wanted to add my thoughts, for beginners, by a beginner.  These are all fixed axle diabolos, I’ve never tried a bearing axle. Here goes, in the order I got them;

Mr.Babache Finesse (G4) – My first diabolo; at the time most of the equipment guides were written, 275 grams made this a “light” diabolo. They still make kits to add weight to it. But it’s the heaviest one I own, and It’s  got a lot of it’s weight on the rims so it is very stable, and holds it’s spin well. Several different hub, and axles kits, and a light kit are available for it. It is on the softer side, so it “bounces” well. It will get dirty, but it won’t get scratched up. If you’re going to play over concrete a lot, that’s important. It’s also got a slightly higher tech look to it, because of the shape of the cups, and the lack of exposed acorn nuts on the washers.

Sundia Shining long fixed axle -  At 260 grams it feels a lot lighter than the Finesse. I usually play this one indoors so it won’t get too scratched up. It’s pretty, and if you think a light kit may be in your future, the transparent cups look better than the solid colors of my other 4. The long axle on this one is what sets it apart for me. This thing even grinds well on wooden sticks. Yes, the Finesse and the Circus have wide axle kits available for them, but in North America the Shining is cheaper than both of them, and comes with the wide axle. If you think grinds are going to be your thing, I’d go with this one.

Henry’s Circus – I’ve forgotten where I got it, but mine came from the store with the “All Rounder” hubs on it, so it weighs the same 275 grams as the Finesse.  Another one with cups on the softer side, so you can play over concrete with confidence. All you’ll do is get it dirty. It also has all sorts of hubs and axle kits available for it. Probably the classic traditional diabolo

Taibolo Super V2 – At 255 grams, my lightest 5 inch diabolo. I think it’s the prettiest one too. The cups are bright colors and shiny. I doubt you could break it, but it will get scratched up if you’re not careful with it. This will probably become my go to diabolo when I eventually learn to spin 3 at once. I think the low weight does make it a little harder to learn tricks with (slightly less stable, slightly less spin time) but it will be an advantage with multiple diabolos on a string. In North America it tends to be on the expensive side, too.

Sundia Sun (Shine) – Solid color, with what Sundia calls a Competition axle. This is my newest diabolo. At 290 grams, it is by far my heaviest. There are plastic washers available for it to cut the weight down to 275 grams, but I’m holding off on them for now. It has softer cups, like the Finesse and the Circus, but it has a shiny finish like the Shining and the Taibolo, so I’ve been careful what I play over with it. It may all be in my head (because of it’s weight), but I think it spins longer and is slightly more stable than the others. Because of that, I think my first pair will probably be Suns.

I haven’t really said much about “playability”. That’s because I’ve got these 5 lined up on my shelf, I play with all 5 every day, and I still don’t know which one I like best! They are that close. Long time diaboloists will tell you that the long axle is not quite as stable, or this one’s got more rim weight so it spins longer, or that one is easier to make corrections on. And that’s all true, on paper. But the differences are subtle, so for us just starting out, it will be a while before we can tell the difference. For us I think it comes down to do you want to do a lot of grinds? Are you going to be mainly practicing on a lawn, on a wood parquet gym floor, or on concrete?  Would you rather have scratched up but clean, or smooth but stained?  But which one is best?  I checked back, and all of the gear guides of yesteryear have said this, but for some reason it doesn’t register with us beginners; It really doesn’t matter. Buy any of the above diabolos, and get practicing. (I’m told most of the world would add the Epic to this list, but they are hard to come by in North America). Buy which ever one comes in the prettiest color, buy whichever one is cheapest in your area, but buy one of these and get practicing. We don’t have anything else to base our decision on until we’ve started learning.  None of them is going to make you world champion if you don’t have the talent, and if you do have the talent, you could win with any one of them. They are that close.

If anyone spots any obvious mistakes in what I’ve said, please let me know. But please bear in mind that I’m a beginner, writing to beginners. What affects someone learning 4d doesn’t really matter as much to us. (yet)

Icebox

Re: Best Diabolo? A beginner's perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
Good stuff! Really thorough and covers a majority of the main-brand diabolos so there's something for nearly everybody in here :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal