Author Topic: Matt Hall ditches WJF for high school talent show!  (Read 10123 times)

Matt_

• Donator
Matt Hall ditches WJF for high school talent show!
« on: December 17, 2005, 05:17:54 AM »
San Jose, CA - on the first day of the WJF, Matt Hall chose not to go to Vegas, but instead to lead his Silver Creek High School jugglers in an allstar performance at the high school's fall talent show, "Winterfest." Jason Garfield is reported to be in a frenzy, saying* "expletive expletive expletive i need someone to translate!!! expletive expletive kikyo brothers expletive!!" while Matt Hall, explaining his high school performance, asserted*,  "Indiana Jones is not gay!!"

suck it Jason Garfield!**

and the rest of you, download their performance. Matt, Chris, and David are back again ;) (and this time not in that unpopular torrent format!) here you are, for direct download:

http://www.jugglethis.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=387

* not actual quotes, i totally made those up
** just kidding Mr. Garfield i love you, don't beat me up with your arms that are bigger than my waist!

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 06:17:27 AM »
Haha, nice. Good post too Matt_.

That performance was pretty fun and I think we pulled it off pretty good. Way to represent Hall Sensei, and David! Maybe I should have used my green diabolo... or have worn a different colored shirt. Well, I did want black and orange to represent school colors, so I guess it didnt really matter. My routine was pretty weak too (not really to much burly tricks in there) but I took the advice of hall, and tried to make it somewhat interesting for the crowd, and not a whole lot for me.

Well, until next year or next performace or video everyone.

-Go Draco with your diabolo-
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:29:46 AM »
it's ok, the uninformed public doesnt know if that was burly or not ;) you did forget to do the crowdpleasers, aka throwing the diabolo really high, and a string climb

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 06:35:54 AM »
Haha, yea. I think the string climb might have given them a heart attack. Also, it kinda broke up my routine, but i probably should have added those things in there. They would have loved it. I was also gonna add 2 high, but meh just stuck with the low stuff. (hehe, maybe i should have given a go at 3 high for my last routine which was the basic double hyperloop)

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:08:02 AM »
hahaha nice matt_ i like ** so true..

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 08:36:07 AM »
Nice performance, some high throws and a string climb would have made some people faint :wink: because they're so technically difficult.

I wish people were like that in England no one appreciates the technicality of an anti-suicide or a fan they would rather watch some-one with a plastic diabolo from the post office launch it as high as they could and not catch it. I did a fan weave the other day and some guy asked if I could catch it :x
Behind your back is your front.

diabololi

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »
Great show you guys!
It's good to see that the audience knew you were doing hard tricks so they didn't mind when you dropped. The diabolo was great and I loved the cigar boxes (I don't know much about cigar boxes but some of those tricks seemed pretty hard!)
Oli

frank0072

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
Woow, how cool were the reactions from the public :D. The cigar boxes really blowed me of my socks. The diabolo part was also very good! The orange and black diabolo go together.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
haha, yeah. Since it was a high school show, i thought some idiots in the crowd would be like "YOU SUCK" if one of us dropped our props. It was pretty cool that they supported us, and i think we did pretty good overall. The only thing bad about having and orange and black diabolo is that the black one leaves tons of marks on the orange, and the black was a little hard to see in 2d. (man i should have done some 2 high :\)

frank0072

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 08:17:53 PM »
Quote from: Dracodragon
haha, yeah. Since it was a high school show, i thought some idiots in the crowd would be like "YOU SUCK" if one of us dropped our props. It was pretty cool that they supported us, and i think we did pretty good overall. The only thing bad about having and orange and black diabolo is that the black one leaves tons of marks on the orange, and the black was a little hard to see in 2d. (man i should have done some 2 high :\)

I don't know if the english people have a term for it, but when somethings over you always know what you should have done. I think the orange and the black one looked really smooth together, it's an even better combination then black/white. I think you can be proud of yourself for doing something like that. I don't see myself perform yet...
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Graham

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 08:31:11 PM »
Quote from: frank0072
I don't know if the english people have a term for it, but when somethings over you always know what you should have done.

"Regret" is the closest I can come up with. But that usually applies to something you shouldn't have done...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 08:58:54 AM »
Quote from: phunky
"Regret" is the closest I can come up with. But that usually applies to something you shouldn't have done...
I believe "hindsight" might also be appropriate.  Foresight is an amazing thing though, isn't it.

I do like that performance though.  I also suspected some heckling as kids can be so cruel these days, but I think you held yourselves up as performers and when you dropped, made no big deal of it and just picked it up and tried again.  The drops are hardly noticable and easily forgotten when you nail it the next time round.  I liked all the routines, the balls, boxes and diabolo were all very well presented.

And I thought Hall-sensei wanted a break from performing at public shows...  :wink:

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 04:27:02 PM »
Great performances by all and lots of energy! Fun to watch!

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 10:20:15 PM »
Quote from: Chiok
And I thought Hall-sensei wanted a break from performing at public shows...  :wink:

hence the topic! see it was all just a cover story :P

William

• VotW Contributor
good!!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 10:27:18 PM »
hey thats a really good video!! I really enjoyed it all!!! it was great!!! :)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 12:55:58 AM »
Alright, alright...you got me.

Actually, I am a bit tired of competing and such, but I'm still working on routines all the time.  I've been invited to perform/mc at:

Sydney Juggling Fest in January
Groundhog's Day Fest in Feb.
MONDO in late Feb.
Israel Juggling Fest in April
British Juggling Convention right after it
Montreal Juggling Festival in May

Sooo....whether I'm in the mood or not, performing it is!!  haha  "Poor" old me, right?  

Seriously, my decision to not attend WJF had nothing to do with my decision to do Winterfest.  I just wanted to support my students as they represented the SC Juggling club in front of their peers.  

Given what I've heard, I wish I was there to watch William and Tenpei-san rock the house.  

Speaking of Rocking the House, Chris and David owned.  It was awesome.  I just did the bare minimum and tried to keep it clean.  The lighting was a bit dicey for toss juggling.  Still, I shouldn't have dropped the tricks I did.   :oops:

Only a month until Sydney!  Woo hoo!

Matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:46 AM »
Quote from: Matt
Sooo....whether I'm in the mood or not, performing it is!!  haha  "Poor" old me, right?
And we love to see you do so.  You always seem to be the hot topic around conventions.  Does your wife think you're becoming obsessed with juggling?  My better half insinuated to as much, but I've only been to one convention.  The several gig of videos and memory of them might have something to do with it though.  
I just wanted to support my students as they represented the SC Juggling club in front of their peers.
And damn good of you as well, important to support yourself, your family and then those around you.  
Speaking of Rocking the House, Chris and David owned.  It was awesome.  I just did the bare minimum and tried to keep it clean.  The lighting was a bit dicey for toss juggling.  Still, I shouldn't have dropped the tricks I did.
Nothing easy about a 5up pirouette, the siteswaps were cool though, think the performance as a whole came off really well.

Chiok
(who really liked the Indiana Jones Trilogy, hated The Young Chronicles of Indiana Jones)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal