Author Topic: Seán_ Leeds 05  (Read 6344 times)

seán_

Seán_ Leeds 05
« on: December 25, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »
Merry Xmas, as mentioned in Leeds show video thread some of the complete diabolo routines were to be put online, here is the Seán_ Leeds 05 Routine. A bit of 1d and 2d and brolly fondling. This routine isn't so much about hard  tricks but I tried to get a bit of choreography into it. A few stupid drops and an occaisional 'what happens next?' but for my first time in front of a juggling audience (300) I was happy enough with it.

Thanks to Marc and Zack from 2cups for filming and editing, And Barnesy for hosting, and mick for tampering with Mint Royales music for me.
right Click save as please

Seán_

Matt_

• Donator
Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 07:56:36 PM »
just the words "brolly fondling" are making me download this right now. you english people have silly words for everything  :roll:

Sean

• Administrator
Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
Sweet classy choreography, Seán_! Thanks for posting all these videos... they made my Christmas-diabolo-day.

fadge

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 05:12:38 PM »
Thank you very much for these videos Seán_ it made me day :D . especially the 'brolly fondling' very impressive and well planned.

fadge

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:08:34 PM »
Very nice Seán, looking classy!
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

frank0072

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »
How cool do you look in that suit :D. I like it, it is something else then the praised soberness from other jugglers.

I pleased me to see I can do very much tricks you pull of there. Makes me happy :).
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

seán_

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 07:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys,
Like I said my plan was for a hopefully minimal drop run with an attempt at getting it to fit the tune. Nothing mindblowing and hopefully well within my abilities.

I've done the routine quite a few times since then for the general public (it's a living :) )*
It seems to go down quite well and is fairly adaptable. just add the old stringclimb and high throws for the general public and (hopefully) throw in more tech moves for the cognescenti.

If anybody has any thoughts on ways to improve on this I'd like to have them (apart from better tricks and dont drop). I'm a bit looser and more flowy with it now, I took several peoples advice on board allready and moved the devilsticking to the beginning but I'm still not sure about it. I have included some harder moves including some stall moves to break it up a bit. all thoughts welcome, post here or PM me.

@Sean:, no worries, big thanks go to the 2cups video production guys and you for providing the other file formats.

@Ronnie: I always look smooth ;), actually I think a lot of people on the UK scene were shocked to see me looking slightly more dapper than my usual self. I'll hopefully see you at the Scottish in feb, I'll bring the suit, It's proven to work on Scottish women.

@Frank: proof that you dont need to be able to do that much and get away with it. Basically I wanted to follow the rule of 10, that being if you cant pull it off 10 times in a row it shouldn't be appearing on stage. My monorail  walkaround minig was one trick that didnt follow that rule since I just came up with it a few days before and it wasnt bedded in and I dropped. a few tricks werent working well that day so out they went.

Seán

*on stage, on the street as a crowd puller for a more classic street act (ker-ching) and on one memorable occaision on a 10x10 ft dance floor with an 8 ft room height (complete with mirror ball, multicoured lights and strobes and ropey cd player causing me to complete the routine using some godawful garage tune)

ming

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:14:45 PM »
Just because you asked heres my critique:
Entrance: Could of been stronger, I felt you started too early and didn't really acknowledge the audience, What i would of done was walk to the centre of the stage pause while looking out really establish the character in the first few seconds then start the manipulation. Also umbrellas aren't spun like that personally i feel the character wouldn't hold the umbrella by the shaft as it might be wet :) as was already mentioned stick the devil stick bit at the start of the routine maybe even expand it a bit.  At time 42 seconds on the video you held a pose, pose was great really suited the character maybe you should consider using it for the first applause point, hold it longer

1diabolo section: Slow down take your time and breath could maybe do with a pause in it to let the audience breath, only one drop, good, i hate watch routines where people are trying to out do themselves

2diabolo section: Pay attention to your extremities and how they are moving. I would of maybe lost the hat just before the start of the 2 diabolo section and maybe of stuck a breath point in for the audience. lack of drops good

Overall: Good has alot of potential. I'd watch some old dick van dyke movies to see if you could get any of his dance moves and try put them in just one or two, spice it up a little. good use of space filled the whole stage just pay attention to how move around.
Emmet

seán_

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 02:53:46 AM »
Thanks Emmet

Just the kind of thoughts I was looking for.

I've got some pause points in there now and have got the devilsticking at the start, Its quite hard to expand it as its relatively awkward to devilstick an umbrella but I have a few more things I can do with it.

I'm not too sure about loosing the hat for 2d but I have taken it off a few times during my 1d to integrate some hat moves. I suppose it might give the 2d section an air of 'right, now I mean business'. I have an idea for a finishing section that might work if I was hatless, I'll give it a wirl tomorrow and see how it works.

I've been watching Gene Kelly films for some movement tips, I'm saving the Van Dyke ones to work on my ****ney accent ;).

actually, if I'm in the mood I can have some semi decent footwork. I'm also putting in a few turning tricks with 2d to try and add some interest as well.

Thanks again
Seán

frank0072

Seán_ Leeds 05
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 09:51:43 AM »
I got a small tip for you too. You have a hat and a tie. Can't a diabolo grind very well on the tie? This should break up your routine a little. If your hat is 'sturdy' (don't know if this words covers what I mean) enough the diabolo can even grind on the rim...
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal