Author Topic: [video comments] matt hall & ryo yabe diabolo workshop!  (Read 12145 times)

Matt_

• Donator
[video comments] matt hall & ryo yabe diabolo workshop!
« on: January 06, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
MOD EDIT: All technical questions, problems, and advice should be directed to the thread devoted to technical problems with bittorrent and this video.

Please keep comments in this thread related to the workshop video itself.

Thanks!

EDIT: gah, that was horrible. i apologize to everyone who had to deal with that crap!

the REAL link is this: *deleted* go lower in this post for a better one.

download and seed please :)

the people who really wanted this file have spoken. bittorrent isnt popular, but the people who do want this file want it really bad. if anyone wants to host a 365mb file for the people who really can't use bittorrent, go for it.

EDIT2: here is the yousendit link: http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MQGSOM65SKIG2AHAIU5DJ3FQZ

please download that only if you reallllly cant get it by torrent, OR if you're going to download it and turn right around and seed. thanks.

EDIT3: better tracker! copy/paste the entire thing...for some reason the link doesnt work right

http://bt.jvnv.net/torrents/Hall-Yabe_Workshop_(Portland_2005).avi.torrent

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 02:29:13 AM »
nice workshop indeed :D

Flo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »
Nice workshop, though I couldnt get any help for my 3d low...
when the interesting part starts (Matt Hall: "there are two patterns for 3 low..." ) the movie is over...  :(
of course i will keep utorrent seeding for a while

cya sparx
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 05:24:29 PM »
I left my computer on all night to get and i watched it this morning. It was all i expected and more. Thanks alot. Shame there was no 3d tricks part but you can't have it all. Also as sparx said it missed out the part about synch and asynch right at the end and the part when someone asked about doing a 3 high cascade it just cut out.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
THANK YOU to all involved: Ryo, Matt, Ben, Matt_. Great job putting that all together.

Please direct all technical problems or advice over to the thread now devoted to bittorrent technical problems for this video. We will keep this thread for all messages related to the workshop itself.

I thought it was really cool when Yabe took off showing a bunch of 2 diabolo starts. That was a good suggestion.

I was intrigued by Yabe's comments on diabolo weight. Was Yabe saying he had modified his Yohos or his Henrys? Which diabolos did he put the lighter washers on? Was he not using Yohos?

This sort of thing has been mentioned before (about the weight far from the axle being important and weight near the axle just being dead weight) makes you wonder why Babache makes their weight plates the way they do. How many years before we see a diabolo with a metal rim?

Thanks guys! Makes me feel motivated with the diabolo again... almost like I've just been to a festival!

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 08:22:06 PM »
Quote from: Sean
This sort of thing has been mentioned before (about the weight far from the axle being important and weight near the axle just being dead weight) makes you wonder why Babache makes their weight plates the way they do.

yeah, after this video i really realized that the finesse weight kits are just dead weight! :P

but then again, i looked at my G2s and they have that fat lip, which seems to me to be bigger than the G1...in any case, the G2s seem to have more weight towards the edge of the cup compared to the henry's design. honestly, i've always thought that my G2s spin longer than the circuses (even with the plastic hubs), now i kind of have some scientific basis on that.

although, that video is really making me want some Diabigs now (ill order off naranja one of these days..)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »
It was part of the redesign of the G1 to distribute more of the weight around the rim, probably by moulding that super-sharp lip inside the bell of the cup.  It's a small difference, don't know if it's noticable though.  People will probably say yes.

I believe Yabe was talking about his Yoho's being modified by taking the metal washers off.  But it did sound like he had Henrys as well.  Good use for physics though, more weight around the rim does give more spin.  Adding weight yourself can't be easy I imagine though.  Can't really put metal rod around the inside due to drops and bends, would have to be something flexy.

As for the Babache weight kits, I guess it's the best they could do really.  They might not add much to the spin time, but the extra weight might be appreciated to some.  The design of the weight kits tries to spread the weight out as far as it can.

I do like the 2D start section, still trying to figure out how to get into that chinese suicide.  Seems to be the choice for Japanese diaboloists.  Strange how they're so alike...  And the 2D suicide variations.

Great workshop though.  Shame it cut out just at the 3 low stuff, but lots to think about.  Glad Yabe came over and Hall was available to teach and translate.  Suppose batteries and film can't run infinitely.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:02:46 AM »
This was really cool to see. I have to say that Ryo and Matt both seem like really good teachers. It is one thing to do hard tricks, but another to actually know what it is that you're doing and communicate it to others.

Was interesting to know that Ryo was on THP Japan. THP (Team High Performance) started at a kite store in Hawaii called High Performance Kites. Eventually it became a big team that toured the world and then got a branch in Japan as part of Bandai's big skill toy marketing push, which eventuall encompassed diabolos as well (bringing in a lot of the Yoho demonstrators). I don't know if you guys caught it, but they also mentioned the Diarhythm site in Japanese.

I'm curious about where diabolo technology will head from here. It'd certainly be interesting to see metal rims, though of course there's also issues with that (could possibly break from high throws, doesn't bounce, etc). It seems a bit split in yo-yos right now. Most of the offstring yo-yos have some sort of soft or hard plastic rims on them. There's one semi-new model with rubber rims, but rubber in general is less in favor than it used to be because of people doing hand grinds. A couple of the plastic ones seem to be able to bounce pretty well, I guess similar to the bandai/yoho diabolos.

A couple of the people do use regular metal rim yo-yos for offstring, usually having a style that focuses a lot on complex string moves. But people with lots of whips usually seem to have larger ones to help hitting the gap and the bouncing for recovery if they miss...

But it seems like there's plenty of room for experimentations in the current diabolo designs. I have to say it is a little frustrating in that respect getting into diabolo just in terms of how the manufacturers seem distant and slow. I'm used to seeing company reps posting on message boards and new yo-yo designs coming out every couple of months. Not to mention lots and lots of modders with lathes churning out fancy combinations of multiple other yo-yos. Ahh well.. hopefully there'll be more experiments in the future. Seems like more changing than there used to be already anyway. :)

Shawn

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:21:36 AM »
Nice workshop, thanks to matt for the video and to all the seeders I downloaded it in an hour and a 1/2 maxed out all the way.
Behind your back is your front.

martijn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 02:17:08 PM »
Quote from: Sean
makes you wonder why Babache makes their weight plates the way they do. How many years before we see a diabolo with a metal rim?

I did saw some prototypes of new weightkits made of flexible stuff which adds weight more into the rim, but this is a long time ago :P I saw it at the EJC in Ptuj, at the back of the MB shop... don't know when they are releasing that kind of kits. They really looked nice, and must be more effective than the 'old' ones.

Arjan

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »
Yeah I did try those out to, some time after you left. They make more sense.

William

• VotW Contributor
yay
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 02:55:50 AM »
FINALLY GOT IT WORKING :D YEAH!!! :D 0.6% :lol:
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Punkerpanda

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »
well if you wanted to add more weight to the side, couldnt you just use a flexible plastic, and in there are little metal balls that add the weight. the balls would be not be able to bend out of shape easily since there is no room plus it's not one big hoop.

dunno, just an idea.

oh the video, i really enjoyed it. It was extremly educational and i learned quite a few things. well done everybody, well done.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 07:35:53 AM »
Just a quick comment on the whole diabolo weight distribution talk going on here.

I finished my A Level physics cwrk on the diabolo about 2 months ago now and one aspect I did briefly look at was at which point on the diabolo I should add mass.  It was only a very brief prelim investigation in this area and although weight added to near the centre of rotation does make a difference you'd need far more of it to make a noticable difference than if it was placed around the rim.  Having said this if it is placed at the rim the distribution needs to be absolutely perfect as the balance of the diabolo can be easily put out by any slight deviation whereas when placed toward the centre of rotation  any imperfections in the weight added make minimal difference to balance.  It would be far harder to produce accurate weights to mount on the rim than to add a larger amount of weight at the centre but then it comes down to personal preference, with a larger weight at the centre you would have a heavier diabolo which some people like although it would slow down faster due to increased friction with the string, if the weight was added at the edge you would have greatest impact on how long the angular momentum of the diabolo stays with least effect on amount of friction produced.

Did anybody ever see the Hades Diabolo?  Way, wya back when I was deciding what diabolo to get I was considering this one but everybodies advice and a smaller amoutn of cash convinced me to go Circus.  Hades would seem now like a brilliant idea if you're after extra weight at the edge because it had about a 1cm rim coming out of the edge, the principle behind this was as I've just been stating.

Lol, oops, well that was my "quick comment"  :)

O and btw, I got an A in my cwrk (just)  :D

thewu

Re: [video comments] matt hall & ryo yabe diabolo workshop!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 10:12:08 PM »
sorry for digging up an old thread.

i noticed that the video has already expired on bt (and elsewhere) and my friend in taiwan wants to see it.

does anyone mind if i reupload this video to jugglingdb?

thanks.  ;D

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 10:53:05 PM »
Sure, reupload it if you want. I'll be surprised if anyone wants to host such a huge video.

Keep in mind that you can still check it out on google video at any time.

su

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 11:58:58 PM »
You can download video from google or youtube .You have to use this site http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

enjoy

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »
Yeah but the quality really sucks compared to the original (fairly high quality) Xvid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal