Author Topic: Babache Performer Diabolo  (Read 8227 times)

looby

• Donator
Babache Performer Diabolo
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:53:13 PM »
Strange one this. I searched for a thread/anything at all about this diabolo and got nothing at all.

I know it isn't the most popular of diabolos due to its severe weight and size but I quite like it.  It was the first 'good' diabolo I ever bought myself and was what I used to learn most beginner tricks leading up to slack whips and genocides. It's stability is amazing and the balance just makes learning things like infinite suicides that much easier since you can 'feel' the diabolo dropping giving you a good sign of when to execute a revolution. Since I bought a couple of g2s to learn 2d I hadn't really gone back to it for a good year now.  I picked it up a minute ago and had a play where it felt very very different but so much nicer to practice with.

I just wondered what your thoughts were.  Has anyone ever tried 2d with two performers, and if so how was it? I can see someone needing some serious biceps to do even a few minutes practice with them :wink:

Discuss...
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:44:04 PM »
Priam, Trash, and I played with 3 performers for a bit at the WJF last year. I wish I had a camera with me at the time because Trash's pattern with 3 performers looked hilarious.

3 performers on a string looks incredibly bizarre, but as weird as they look and as hard as they are on the arms, they are incredibly stable beasts.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »
They do seem to be like giant Circus diabolos.  I've never seen one in person, but they look awesome.  Probably too large for any knot or transfer tricks perhaps.  Maybe good for high and shuffling.  I imagine the extra 30mm makes alot of difference, and probably annoying to carry around as they don't fit as well in your bag.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

rudy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:51:03 PM »
i have one and used it in the past its a good diab, never tried it with 2d
its better to burn out than to fade away

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:41:24 PM »
A french diaboloist in a norwegian circus used the performers. He did one and two diabolos low, and three high.

I have also wondered about these diabolos, and how good they are, but since almost nobody use them I guessed they weren't as good as Finesse and Circuses.

Anders
Norway

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »
They are probably like the butterfingers monster diabolos:Good for a laugh but not a serious diabolo to contend with finnesses, circi and yoho's. They also cost more than finnesses and circi.
Behind your back is your front.

onewheeldave

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »
But the Butterfingers one had other issues, such as breakages.

The performer seems to be basically an oversize finesse or circus- the two people on this thread who have used it have basically said it's a decent diabolo.

Maybe there's a bit of a catch-22 here, in that not many people buy it because no-one else seems to have one? Leading to the situation where no-one has one, so everyone assumes there's something wrong with it.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
Quote from: onewheeldave
the two people on this thread who have used it have basically said it's a decent diabolo.

True, true... I'd say technically it's a decent diabolo, but in reality, it's SOOO big it's almost a different prop.

Sort of like asking if a micro sized diabolo is decent. It might be a decent diabolo but what is easy to do with it is quite different from a typical 5 inch diabolo.

To anyone who's used to a 5 inch diabolo a performer or micro diabolo feels a bit like a joke. Although I'm sure over time it would feel normal.

onewheeldave

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:17:42 AM »
While I'm no diabolo expert and haven't tried loads of different types, I do know that, having done a fair bit with jumbo size circus/finesse, I'd never go back to a medium (or smaller) size.

It seems to me that, as a general rule, bigger gives more benefits than smaller ie-

1. looks better to observers/audiences (this is why, although I appreciate the technical skill of yo-yoing, I much prefer to watch diabolists, cos yo-yos are just not very visible)

2. easier to use- more stable, easier to see and catch etc

Obviously there's a cut-off point, where the benefits of getting bigger are outweighed (possibly literally :) ) by the negatives- I'm just not sure that the Performer is necessarily over that point.

I feel that we won't know until a fair few diabolo experts have given the Performer a decent try and I wonder if part of the reason they're not doing so is influenced by the previous 'giant' diabolo, which had a few issues and ended up being seen as a novelty item.

I guess it's fair to say that the Performer is not going to be taken up for two diabolo stuff, given that even normal weight circus are felt to be the upper range of weight for two; but I wonder if it would have great potential for one-diabolo on stage.

eplea

size comparison...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 06:28:46 AM »

Scooby

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »
thats pretty big

the cups look a lot like the shape of yoho ones.

way bigger though...

it makes circus look like a small diabolo.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »
Quote from: Rusty
A french diaboloist in a norwegian circus used the performers. He did one and two diabolos low, and three high.
I think it's all there in the name.  It's called "Performer" and is probably more suited to a circus performance where transfer and other complex such aren't the goal, but large patterns and body moves.  I can imagine it being quite suitable for performances to Joe Public.  Looks like a nice diabolo though.

The Butterfingers Monster diabolo is just silly.  It's 40mm large in diametre than the Performer (that's 70mm bigger than a Circus, e.g sticking too Medium Harlequins together.)  I've tried one and the things you can do are soooo limited, I agree it is purely a novelty item, like a Radical Fish diabolo.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Late

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 07:46:45 PM »
Thats a BIG one! My finesse is about as big as circus and they both are pretty big. So that must be huge! :shock:
    Finesse

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »
they are huge. i really want to get a couple but they are way expensive. i was playing with two of them at the dube store in NYC, they are sooo awesome. doing vortex/antisuicides/sprinklers with them is a blast. they can hurt though, because they are very heavy.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:10:17 PM »
Yeah, they're good fun to use, but I'd not want to have them as my only option.  I imagine they'd seem ridiculously heavy now I'm used to superlight circusses too!

frank0072

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
woow, they really look huge, I want two for my birthday :p, but then again, I never celebrate my birthday. Still it will be a great collectors item though..
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Domi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
They are really huge but I don't think that its good when a diabolo more weight has as a circus

phil

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »
Yeah i have a green performer. It is heavy! and after a session of like 1 hour you feel like you have had a workout, i have to stop after doing a lot of arm/body moves because i recently dislocated my shoulder (it makes it ache like mad) :( , thats why i now have circusses and finesses. The performer is cool though! Doing something like a fingergring genocide, is quite amusing.Certainly gets the novelty vote.  :wink:
The dream of diabolo..... i just hope i never wake up!

WillieWonka

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
Ivé got two of those! LOVE THEM!
They are a bit haevy though, You get tired in your arms really fast:D today i hit my teacher in the face when i was doing 1d high :?
Stupid is stupideus, Forrest Gump.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: Babache Performer Diabolo
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 01:30:25 AM »
I was thinking about getting a Performer for the talent show, although I think the finesse are heavy diabolos, lol ;D ;D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal