Author Topic: Fire Diabolo: Cops and Fire departments  (Read 4267 times)

TD Moses

Fire Diabolo: Cops and Fire departments
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:58:25 AM »
Well, for the first time i was trying out my fire diabolo because i have a performance that I am practicing for to do it in and to do it in the performance, I have to nail this thing down with no flaws. So I was across from my house in an open field and it just so happens that the cops go by and see me with my fire diabolo. They freak out not even knowing what it was saying that I couldn't and that I had to call the fire department. So we called and they are like no you cannot do it, and that I was not allowed to even do it in a performance. First of all, these people did not even know what a diabolo was, they didn't even know who Cirque Du Soleil is, which i find pretty funny.
Anyways, they say I couldn't practice this thing anywhere. I have no idea what to do. If i cannot do it in the performance, which i was asked to do fire, then there will be none. Can anyone give me tips on reasoning with the fire department of how to get me to be able to practice.  And also, how are they allowed to do this in performances when I was just told I was not able to? Is there anything like special permits I need and where and how fast can I get them, because I to practice because I don't have time left.

Laters...
Jeremy

Jsam

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:57:44 AM »
just a suggestion not from experience but you should go down to the fire dept. and put on a show (no fire)
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

TD Moses

fire and the police
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 05:37:36 AM »
Quote from: Jsam
just a suggestion not from experience but you should go down to the fire dept. and put on a show (no fire)

If only it were that easy.  Im trying to get my school to get a word into the fire department.  Cause thats where my performance is at....
Laters...
Jeremy

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »
yeah good job going to an open field, where you are likely to start all kinds of fires.

go to a parking lot and be safe.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 08:43:02 AM »
If you're performing with fire in a show involving the public, it is in your utmost best interest to have Public Liability Insurance to cover you against any accidents etc with regards to the audience and your surroundings.  It's not a permit, as such which says you can perform with fire, just that you can pay out if things go wrong.

Your Chicago Fire Department should be contacted and say that you are a fire juggler and have been asked to do a performance, and what precautions they require you to have for safety.  Things like fire blanket, bucket of water, airtight paraffin container etc.  Thing is, fire diabolo is probably one of the most dangerous fire toys as it likes to run away from you, and they're not even that much fun.

If you want more info on PLI, and no one here knows anything more (hopefully someone will), skootch over to www.jugglingdb.com and look at articles there or post on Rec.Juggling where there are many many performers, possibly in your area that will know the ins and outs of things.

HTH
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
The propper way to deal wit the police is to apply for permits pay fees three times a day. Maybe even have a lawyer involved...

This is the sneaky way to do it...
The best way to handle the police is to compleatly avoid them.
Polices doesnt apear out of nowhere (at least not here in sweden). My guess is that some responsible person saw what you was doing and thougth it looked dangerous or even evil and phoned the police. (I once got a whole firesquad visiting me when learning fire juggling... because someone thougth i was a bushfire  
 :oops: )
Maybe its possible to find a more discrete place to practice.

If you cant avoid them be nice and agree with everything they say, just nod look happy and understanding and try to ignore the bad taste in your mouth when you say yes sir...
If you start to argue with someone it will piss them off and someone who is pissed of will be happy to cause you troubble...

The average copper is also likley to say no to anny weird question just to be on the safe side. If a copper says "yes dude do your show", and you then screw up and kill a child ...  the cop will be in big **** (as well as you). So if possible avoid asking annything questions att all. Once they say "forbidden" they will never change their mind.

In your case the police has a valid point, the fire diabolo is really too dangerous to be performed without safteythings.

TD Moses

Precautions
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »
I had all my precautions.  Had a friend with me too just in case i did light on fire.  He had the bucket with the wet towel in it.  also had the 100% cotton old rug to put the fire out.   though all i really had to do was throw it really high and hard.  I also made sure my fuel was about 50 feet away from me.   They didnt out law my backyard.  but the only problem is the space and trees...  But one question, the when i tried it the first time, the flame was extremely small and the wind blew it out easily, how do i make it stronger and a little bit bigger?  Is it just by lighting and putting it out a few times before you light it for playing?  Or is there like something else or what?  Im pretty happy with the fuel im using, its smokeless and odorless and i checked the company for additives and i didnt find anythind bad.  It's 99.9% parrafin.  So thats good.  Anymore advice do let me know!
Laters...
Jeremy

TD Moses

More on the issue
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
Great news..My school talked to one of the fire departments and i got the AOK for practicing...now they just need to talk the the other one for the performance....because the performance is in the other departments district...SWEETNESS...
Laters...
Jeremy

P.S. How do I get the flame bigger?

Punkerpanda

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »
the way i usually get a decent size flame is to just put alot of fuel on the diabolo. i literaly douce the wick until it can hold no more.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »
That only works up to a point.  More often it'll just mean it burns for longer.  A larger flame is produced by larger wick.  The more exposed wick you have, the bigger the flame can be.  On Fyrefli's and Comets, it's a tightly coiled wrap of wick, which doesn't really give much space for a flame.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal