Author Topic: Juggling Videos: MPEG compression with TMPGEnc  (Read 23989 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Juggling Videos: MPEG compression with TMPGEnc
« on: December 04, 2004, 07:15:15 AM »
So I've discussed this with a number of people now and some people have asked for a short tutorial on converting videos to MPEG compression. Here's a short guide to getting the best results (lowest file size and best image quality) in MPEG format. Let me know if there are parts you need clarification on or if you have your own experiences that you'd like to share. This message, or a link to this message will be placed in a FAQ at the top of the forum at some point as part of a series of threads on producing juggling videos.

Sean

------------------

TMPGEnc is generally considered the best MPEG-1 converter available today... and it is 100% free. It is used extensively for many juggling videos on the net as well as in the Japanese animation industry. You will get the highest quality videos at the lowest file sizes by using TMGPEnc. MPEG has the advantage of being universally viewable across all operating systems unlike any other format. With the correct settings you can get reasonable compression with MPEG-1.

1. Download the latest version of TMPGEnc from: http://www.tmpgenc.net/

2. When you first open the program close the Wizard and make sure the box that says "Enable this Wizard at Startup" is unchecked. You will then see the following window (in this window and the rest of the screen shots, I have highlighted the sections of the window that you may have to adjust... in general the other settings should be detected by TMPGEnc and will depend on the video - don't try and match them to what is in the screen shots):

3. Now click on the "Browse" button to select your "Video Source". This video should ideally be in a raw/uncompressed .avi format. Almost every video editing program should be able to output in an uncompressed .avi format. The file size for this .avi file will likely be huge. Depending on your video frame size and video length the file could be well over 1 gig.

4. If the audio is unnecessary or unwanted, delete the .avi audio track from the "Audio Source" line to reduce the file size. If the audio is from a separate file, select that file now.

5. Choose a "Video Output" destination and file name. (If you deleted the "Audio Source" you will want to change the file extension from .m1v to .mpg since not all operating systems will read .m1v correctly.)

6. If this is your first time using the TMPGEnc program you will first want to click on "Load" and select "unlock.mcf" which will be in the template folder of whatever folder you put TMPGEnc in (if you don't, you won't be able to change the settings). Alternatively, you could click on "Load" and select a preset settings file that you or someone else has created. Here is my settings file if you want to use it. Right click that link and "save target as" to the template folder of TMPGEnc, or anywhere you will remember it.

7. Click on the "Setting" button and you will see the following window:

8. Make sure that "Rate control" is set to "2-Pass VBR (VBR)" and that "Motion search precision" is set to "Highest quality (very slow)" (Note that you can also use "High quality (slow)" if time is an issue... the difference in quality may not be noticeable and the encoding time may be twice as fast). Now click on "Setting" for the "Rate control mode" and you will see the following window:

9. Here is where you will determine the compression of your video. For a video that is approximately 320 x 240 the "Average bitrate" will usually be best between 500 and 850 kbits/sec. This number could be as low as 300 or as high as 1200 depending on the complexity of the image and the quality you desire. The "Average bitrate" should be halfway between the "Maximum bitrate and the "Minimum bitrate" for best results. A minimum bitrate of 100 should be good in most cases... so double your "Average bitrate" and subtract 100 to get your "Maximum bitrate". If your frame size is doubled (approximately 640x480) you will have to double all these numbers for the same quality. You will have to experiment with different bitrates to find the best compromise of picture quality and size. You want the smallest file size you can get (the lowest bitrate) without noticeably poorer quality. As an example, JiBe manages to produce most of his videos at a bitrate of around 400 kbit/sec I believe... I do most of mine around the 600 to 750 range (you can blame most of the poor quality in my videos from my poor quality video camera, not the encoding - I don't have a digital video camera yet). In most cases there is no noticeable difference above 800 kbit/sec for a 320x240 video.

10. If audio isn't all that important in your video, you could click on the "Audio tab" in the settings window and lower the audio bitrate as well.

11. Now go back to the main page, click start, and encode your optimized MPEG video.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »
now none of you have any excuse to not post mpeg's, ha :wink:

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 11:25:53 AM »
I have, buy a windows compatible sys ;) *Cheap shot*

edit: Thnx for this tutor. Nice job!

martijn

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »
Thanks Sean (you already explaned it), but thanks again! :D But, the mpeg files are much bigger then .wmv or .avi, aren't they?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 02:48:23 PM »
MPEG videos will be larger than .wmv videos for the same quality. MPEG videos will also be larger than DIVX or XVID .avi files. It's the price we have to pay for compatiibilty right now! ;)

However, with careful compression you can minimize that size difference. It is possible to get MPEG files down to the same size as .wmv files while still having reasonable quality.

The whole point of this tutorial is to point out that you can adjust the bitrate to get the level of compression you want. So, an MPEG video is not necessarily larger than a .wmv or DIVX... but for the identical quality level it is. An MPEG video file size can be as small (or large) as you set the average bitrate to. So... convert your video (or sections of your video) with a number of different bit rates and see how small you can get the file size before you start to loose too much quality.

This is why if bandwidth is an issue it sometimes makes sense to convert both an MPEG and something else with greater compression. I believe that after MPEG (and Quicktime .mov), DIVX becomes the next more compatibile video format. Only problem with DIVX is that a codec has to be installed, and not everyone will figure this out and/or bother to do this.

Then again, you could just convert to a noncompatible format... but you will have to put up with people like Norbi whining (and people like Matt Hall can't view your videos either - but at least he doesn't complain!)  :P

Sean

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 05:55:20 PM »
Thats cos me and Matt have taste and style when it comes to computers. I dont complain!  :wink:  But if i didnt then i wouldnt be able to see anything, i'm sure Matt is annoyed aswell, just doesnt want to say, so i complain for him aswell.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 06:02:43 PM »
Hahaha! OK, Norbi... you're forgiven! :P

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »
Quote from: norbi
Thats cos me and Matt have taste and style when it comes to computers.

Yeah you do have a typical taste for style... a computer wich can`t playback WMV`s... typical... :?  

No really, those machines are very nice  :wink:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 06:17:17 PM »
a computer that doesnt like microsoft.... that's where its at

seán_

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 06:39:24 PM »
Thanks for that Sean, I dont do much video work on my computer but that should come in handy. I have been compressing stuff so far using Binks from RAD Tools but have had problems with sound loss. I'm aware of some workarounds but I'll give your way a shot next time.

Norbi, I have been using VLC that Barnesy recomends on his site. It seems to open plenty of different file types and covers plenty of codecs and is open source. I believe Barnesy uses Linux, I have tried it on XP so maybe it would be usefull for you Mac guys.

Tom_G

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 05:25:52 PM »
What program plays avi videos? Neither realplayer or windows media player *shudder* plays them when I tried  :?
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 05:30:56 PM »
Probably a divx file. check out http://www.divx.com

seán_

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 06:00:26 PM »
Quote from: Tom_G
What program plays avi videos? Neither realplayer or windows media player *shudder* plays them when I tried  :?

VLC does it all, maybe not as prettily as some but its worth having and works on windows, mac, linux, BeOS and loads of other stuff. definitely worth having on your system.

martijn

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »
Yeah, if you installed that codec ( http://www.divx.com/divx/download ) it plays in Windows Media Player. If you have a .AVI file without the DivX-compression, it also plays in wmp.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 06:19:25 PM »
There are many compressed .avi formats. XVID is another common one (the one that many of -Fred-'s videos are in such as the two diabolo correction video that just came up in another thread).

Unless the .avi file is uncompressed (and you are unlikely to find an uncompressed .avi file on the net because of the huge file size) you will need a codec of some kind.

VLC can be a solution if you are having problems, it's a great little program. Definitely try it out.

VirtualDub can help too. This program can also be used to go frame by frame though most formats. If you are unsure of the codec used, open the file in VirtualDub and check the file properties. It will tell you everything you need to know. I use VirtualDub a lot.

If you're still having problems have a look on Google. There is lots of help out there on these topics.

Sean

martijn

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 06:26:34 PM »
An other player for these kinds of problems: [edit: offline..]

seán_

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 06:26:47 PM »
Quote from: Sean

VirtualDub can help too. This program can also be used to go frame by frame though most formats. If you are unsure of the codec used, open the file in VirtualDub and check the file properties. It will tell you everything you need to know. I use VirtualDub a lot.

Sean

I use virtual dub to quickly cut out bits of videos that that dont interest me, handy to seperate diabolo clips from long video of conventions for example. Its a bit less hassle than firing premiere up.

busk

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »
i have anough to ask every time a mpeg version of everything...but i can converti videos with tmpgenc from every kind of format...except wmv...why? i didn't read all your post about setting...cause i' can't understand english well....so can you help me?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 04:42:34 PM »
Could it be that you haven't chosen to view all file types? .wmv files won't show up automatically.

shaddow

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Not sure if this is the right topic to add this too, but here goes.  Sean, according to rec.juggling, there are a couple of videos online of the festival that you just attended in Victoria.  On the festival site it says that Bittorrent is required to play the videos.  I have installed Bittorrent, but still don't seem to be able to play either video.  Any suggestions, or can someone convert these videos into a friendlier format?
By the way, how was the festival?  I haven't seen any reviews.

Sean Haddow

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal