Author Topic: Making your own sticks  (Read 33053 times)

custom sticks
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 06:20:41 AM »
hi all
just a few images of some sticks i made, they are 10mm alloy with detatchable tips and dence foam grips. they are the third pair of custom sticks i have made and i'm really plaesed at how well the preform. the dont flex or bend at all due to my design secrets and i'm guessing they weight about 60-70g (i dont have a set of scales yet) but any ways i can put a set together in about 1 and a half hours the took about a week to design.
so yea. what do ya's think?

one day i hope to sell them. Not sure when yet....
Diaboloing is finaly in... Yay!
my videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SirHJock

DAMIEN

Making your own sticks
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2006, 07:20:19 AM »
nice sticks man good job i might have to look in to getting some  :lol:  :D

thanks DAMIEN 8)
GO HARD OR GO HOME DIABOLO FOREVER!
I LOVE 2 DIABOLO'S!

nev

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
@ Sir. H Jock - man those are some fat handles.

anyhows - heres what I did with my spare MB tips

8mm carbon tube with threaded aluminium insert (to screw tip too) and yellow foam tube grip.

Only problem is they are super light (any sort of stick release is frightning). I plan to add some weight via a threaded insert to the handle part (so you can add steel washers to customise the weight) but havent had any time to develop this.

Oh and for getting the old inserts out of the tips - I did as chiok said & made a slot + use a flathead screwdriver.  I since (like chiok) also thought about heat and that a soldering iron (flathead) would do the trick perfectly.  Heat it up - stick it in - wait to cool & unscrew.  You can also get screw extractor kits at good hardware shops which would work.
screw extractor
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2006, 06:08:31 PM »
My sticks used to be weight-customisable to bring them inline with other brands of sticks.  Unfortunately it just didn't work putting the weight at the end as the balance was all off.  Ideally you'd want a hollow tube and add weight inside.

Yep, some fat handles indeed, look like they came off of a gardening trowel or something.  But good work, nothing more satisfying than playing with your own equipment. [that sounds weird now that I re-read it, but I'm gonna let it slide]

@ Nev - It was a screw extractor that I was thinking of actually but in some way that could be applied to a plastic insert.  Like minds think, umm, alike I guess.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

frank0072

Making your own sticks
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:08 PM »
Quote from: Chiok
nothing more satisfying than playing with your own equipment.
Chiok

you are a true genius
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

nev

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006, 11:44:15 PM »
Quote from: Chiok
My sticks used to be weight-customisable to bring them inline with other brands of sticks.  Unfortunately it just didn't work putting the weight at the end as the balance was all off.  Ideally you'd want a hollow tube and add weight inside.

Yeah but those sticks are stupily tip heavy at the moment (set of sticks with tips & string = 45g of which 10g = tips & string) i.e almost 1/4 of the total weight at the tip compared to most sticks where most of the weight  at the grip end.  I did a simple experiment with bluetack stuck to the grp end and it made a HUGE difference to the feel.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Making your own sticks
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 04:45:14 AM »
My sticks used to be weight-customisable to bring them inline with other brands of sticks. Unfortunately it just didn't work putting the weight at the end as the balance was all off. Ideally you'd want a hollow tube and add weight inside.

Yep, some fat handles indeed, look like they came off of a gardening trowel or something. But good work,

ok some of my secrets... the hollow alloy tube is 10mm with a 8mm hole this is then had an 8mm dowel inserted the whole length, which provides just a nice amount of wieght from tip to tip and it also means the alloy tube does not flex/bend due to it is now a solid stick.

I can then either attach a rubber weight(10g) to the handle(protects and helps with infinite suicides) or you can do without.
and the handles look fat which i actualy bring down to whatever size you desire, when i get the foam its 40mm ive taken mine down to 28mm in the widest part...(i sugest you find something 28mm wide and hold it like a handstick, i find it a lot easier with a bit wider grips then the mb x-tream sticks have.
but anyways

[/URL][/img]
Diaboloing is finaly in... Yay!
my videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SirHJock

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2006, 08:31:47 PM »
Ah, mine were weight at the handle end.  My tips weren't that heavy as they were aluminium too which I've now switched to nylon.  They were about 54g as normal and then I screwed on an extra 12g to bring it up to Carbon Fibre stick weight I think.  Unfortunately having more weight at the handle meant the tip of the stick would move first instead of the whole stick which made things just flop around.  Also the silicone handles they now have are adding a bit too much weight too.

Gonna try a redesign soon while I have the time and equipment.

Mr. Jock, good idea on the wood core, I used to put a pine core inside my aluminium fire staffs for bounce and stiffness but never thought of incorporating that into a handstick.  Good thought.

Chiok

tommygrhcp

Making your own sticks
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2006, 10:05:20 PM »
sorta on this topic...

i had some long carbons but one snapped and i had a spare short moon energy so i decided to shorten my remaining long carbon. i cut the soft handle and took it off then copped of the excess handle end to make it same length as moon energy. then i superglued the foam handle back on. They are nice now and work the same as shorts carbons, just takes a bit gettin used to 2 diff sticks.

anyone else modded any sticks? and succeeded! lol

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Making your own sticks
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2006, 11:38:54 PM »
Bumpety!  :)

I was thinking about different materials for making sticks such as Iron or maybe Titanium.. Has anyone had any experience with these metals? Would they be bad for a diabolo stick? I know Titanium is very strong but I need more information!  :)

This obviously wasn't worth putting in a new thread so I put it here.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

fredo

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2006, 11:45:30 PM »
There's a special thread for titanium handsticks if i recall correctly...too lazy to look it out though  ;D.

PS: the equipment sticky should have it listed.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2006, 11:49:53 PM »
Thanks Fredo!  :D

Anyway I found it!
Titanium Handsticks!
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2006, 05:32:15 PM »
Alot has to be said about the design of a handstick as opposed to it's material composition. You want to get the right distribution of weight and size etc to ensure that tricks happen as you expect (infinite suicides and other stick releases come to mind here).

Well, if someone makes a set of titanium sticks, then perhaps it'd be time for people to be a bit more gentle ;-)

Chiok

diabolo boy 101

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
i made my own wooden sticks

supplies:
-drum sticks
-dental floss
go little bunny  (\__/)
                     (='.'=)THE DIABOLO FEELING___
                     (")_(")                                  l
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrH-PfQP1PQ

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2007, 01:49:33 AM »
i made my own wooden sticks

supplies:
-drum sticks
-dental floss

Haha. I remember a guy from school who made a stick out of a drumstick because Jake broke one of his MB ones trying a Vertax Genocide

scottp45

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »
The string will sometimes break if u use floss 4 it....

scott
The atomic weight of carbon is 6

now help the bunny rule
the world by putting it
in your signature           (\__/)
                                  (='.'=)                       
                                  (")_(")

nev

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »
Here are my latest efforts

Vitals Are:
8mm carbon tube
Nylon tips - Screw on as Mr B's (but with metal thread in tube so they dont snap ;))
Slicone grips

Length 32cm
Weight 74g per set (Including String) - in between carbons & ali's

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Very nice, some beautiful craftsmanship in there.  What size is the thread you've got?  I've been having trouble using M6 x 0.75 as it's very small but it needs to be done for the 8mm stick diameter.  It's pretty much just a step to having the tips flush with the stick, but your tapered design looks pretty smooth.

One of my nylon tips is cracked from too many missed potential VOTW tries and is currently held on tip electrical tape.  I'm heading down to the machining labs when I'm done with these blasted exams...

Chiok
(grrr... testing my memory)

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
Nev's new sticks rock.
I love light weight sticks and these are superb for mini genocides.
Check them out in our next video, as I was lucky enough to have a decent play when we went to manchester and visited nev and marc.
Plus, they look awesome :D

Laters GT
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 07:47:32 PM »
So cool! Are they devilstick grips?
Behind your back is your front.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal