Author Topic: Two New Trick Ideas  (Read 4943 times)

Alex

Two New Trick Ideas
« on: January 28, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Like the title suggests, I have ideas for two tricks that I've never seen before, at least not in any videos released on the internet.

The first came from some messing around with infinite suicide.  I guess it would be called the whipped infinite suicide?  What it is, instead of moving the stick all the way around the diabolo when doing infinite suicides, you just throw the string around it.  If you can time it right, it looks a bit like the movement of the handstick up and down is pulling up the diabolo magically (you know how those magicians always wave their hands above whatever they are levitating).  Just a silly variation, and not difficult if you have infinite suicides down.

The second comes from a friend who does Chinese yo-yo.  Or, it comes from my friend's friend, who is apparently pretty good.  It's an acceleration trick.  You know how when you do a whip catch, sometimes both strings wrap around the same way, and causes the diabolo to wrap up?  Basically, that is the trick.  You make the string (both sides) wrap around the diabolo, and then pull it back right so that the diabolo is thrown up a little.  This also speeds up the diabolo.  This trick is theoretically possible, but is amazingly hard, at least from my attempts.  I do trust my friend, though.

So, has anyone seen these tricks before?  Can anyone do them?  Any suggestions for names?

seán_

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
Indiana whip fits the bill for the second trick, its in diabolotricks.com

Not too sure I follow what you mean about the inf suicide.

Alex

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »
I can't find Indiana whip at diabolotricks.com  I did find "fake whip catch" which seems to be the same thing, but not continuous.

Sorry for my description of the infinite suicide.  You know how, to get a wrap on the diabolo, you can just flick your stick, and the string wraps around?  What I mean is doing that for the wrap needed during infinite suicide, rather than moving the stick in circles around the diabolo.  So the stick would stay up above the diab the whole time.  I hope that's more clear...

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
I know what you mean with the infinate suicide but the problem with that idea is that it would't speed the diabolo up very well.
Behind your back is your front.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
I see what you mean about the infinite suicide but Its dark and cold and wolves are after me so maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Indiana whip is amazingly hard. As far as i know there are two ways of doing it. You can either do it the way when it wraps up or you can pull out quickly without wrapping all the way up the string and whip straight after.
There are a few things to think about with this when it comes to direction of spin and weather it would change the direction or something like that.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Re: Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »
i can do that first one.. at least i did it many times last summer. but i cant do that stuff in my flat and outside its damn cold and snowy..

here is something you should practise before you can do it without that grind thing..

http://www.jugglethis.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=216

Chiok

• Donator
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
For the second trick, I believe it is on Priam's old website under 1 diabolo tricks.  Not performed by the man himself though.  

Antonin did a similar cool thing at the Czech Juggling Convention where he put a wrap on the diabolo and made it wrap up, then lay the diabolo in Vertax position and started from there by pulling out sharply to get it going.  Cool beans!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

martijn

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:31:07 AM »
Didn't Kris do the 2nd trick in the Smile video with Sean?

Llama_Bill

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »
Yes he does but only once.

Bill.
Bill.

martijn

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
You're right, but I haven't seen anyone doing it more than once :P

Sean

• Administrator
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 05:55:49 PM »
Yes, I think the second trick is describing the trick Kris did in Smile.

Kris figured it out thinking he was doing an indiana whip like I had explained. I believe I've seen Kris do it 3 times in a row. Certainly twice with a clean finish. In our video we were trying to get the rising diabolo perfectly lined up and close to the camera, which is why we felt doing one whip would be hard enough.

When he does multiple whips he keeps the diabolo much lower. It looks like little bounces with the diabolo floating in the air. Maybe Kris and I can film it when I'm back in Ottawa in a few weeks.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »
I saw the first trick in one of priam's video

PS: do you know what is the record of indiana whip catch in a row ?

martijn

Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 06:54:54 PM »
Quote from: Crackers
I saw the first trick in one of priam's video

Is this 'just' about the infinite suicide without a wrap?

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
Two New Trick Ideas
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:06 PM »
no , what he did is exactly what alex said , I'll try to find the link of the video

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal