Author Topic: Regular whip catches  (Read 8359 times)

stroevey

Regular whip catches
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »
hey guys im sure u are all mad pros at diabolo, im just starting to learn how to whip catch. i was wondering if there is anything i need to kno before doing it and also what type of whip catch i should learn.
your help is appreciated, cheers :D
Diabolo, is art.
Art is beautiful
Beautiful is diabolo

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Regular whip catches
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
Well, stroevey, I was about to tell you to go check the trick and video archive sticky, then I realized that this topic has never been discussed here (to my knowledge). This is probably because there isn't much to the basic whip!

All you have to do is spread the sticks a bit with a finger or two, aim for the axle and go for it. Sometimes I find it helpful when teaching people to have them hold the diabolo with their non-whipping hand in front of them and practice getting the string to land around it when going through the motion. If the string ends up with half a twist in it (backside of the string), then you twisted your hand a bit or the string itself twisted and caught the diabolo on the backside of the string. Work on bringing your hand straight down from above to make the string line up nicely behind it and not get twisted.

This trick definitely ranks up there among the easiest to the diaboloist and the most impressive tricks to the general public.

One note: I edited the subject of your thread... it's easier for people to use the forum as a resource in the future if we keep it organised and keep the subject headers corresponding to the content. "I'm new here" or something to that extent doesn't help much. :P

Have you read through our posting etiquette suggestions? It's nice to get everyone posting here on the same page.

Cheers!
Sean

Matt_

• Donator
Regular whip catches
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »
i think the easiest way to whip is to do it really slowly. sure, you could do it Yabe style (super fast whip into double duicide pirouette to start 2D...) but that has more chance of error, well for me.

for both the "under" style whip and "over" style, you just want to get one string to hit the axle. so practice without the diabolo first. kind of throw your sticks out there, like Sean said with a bit of seperation, and see where the strings are (usually coming out of the end of your sticks, which helps!).

so when the diabolo is there, just point the stick at the diabolo, and bam. since the string comes directly out of the stick, if you point the stick right at it, it's pretty easy to catch.

martijn

Regular whip catches
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 07:00:13 PM »
I have some whipcatch videos at www.circusplanet.net

Although it's in Dutch if you click: Diabolo > trucs 1 diabolo > Whip catches, you can see the videos if you click on [Filmpje].

Hope that helps.

frank0072

Regular whip catches
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 12:48:34 AM »
The trick is really in doing slowly, like Matt_ says. That's it. When you have once pulled it of you can almost do it everytime (I now often try to catch it with my eyes closed).
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

stroevey

Regular whip catches
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 03:36:48 AM »
sweet thanks guys much appreciated.
martijn the vids are great
Diabolo, is art.
Art is beautiful
Beautiful is diabolo

Graham

Regular whip catches
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »
There's also a good guide over here on diabolotricks.com - that's is the one I learned from.

fredo

Regular whip catches
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
I find them not easy to do, I still don't get them 100% and prctising isn' useful for me... Sometimes i get every whip catch, sometimes nearly nothing... I'll try to practise and consider your tips...thx

Twilite

Regular whip catches
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »
One thing I found really useful when I was learning (not sure if this is bad practice) was to to do everything as described, but once you've thrown the diabolo (if you're right handed), turn 90 degrees to your left, so you are looking at the axel when it comes down. I found that made it a lot easier to aim and ultimately catch.
I no longer need to do this; once you have a textbook whip catch mastered, you can do it from almost any angle, any way you like. It makes you wonder how you ever found it so hard!
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

frank0072

Regular whip catches
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 08:08:17 PM »
Quote from: Twilite
One thing I found really useful when I was learning (not sure if this is bad practice) was to to do everything as described, but once you've thrown the diabolo (if you're right handed), turn 90 degrees to your left, so you are looking at the axel when it comes down. I found that made it a lot easier to aim and ultimately catch.
I no longer need to do this; once you have a textbook whip catch mastered, you can do it from almost any angle, any way you like. It makes you wonder how you ever found it so hard!

exactly. Only the underhand whipcatch is a trick I find very hard to master.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Matt_

• Donator
Regular whip catches
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:28:59 AM »
Quote from: Twilite

no that's definitely not bad practice! i totally forgot to mention that in my post, but when i was learning whips from Hall-sensei, that was his biggest advice. turn and face the diabolo! soon you can master that and go onto pirouette to behind the back underwhip in competitions ;)

Chiok

• Donator
Regular whip catches
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:41:42 AM »
I find I have much more success with the underwhip (hand does an underarm throw motion and string is under the diabolo).  The underwhip is kinda nifty because when you do it, the diabolo just stops dead from falling unlike the overwhip (the normal one) which still has it's inherent "swing" which means you can duicide it or whatever.

Make sure your string isn't twisted normally when you hold them, the string should sit in a normal U shape when you're not doing anything.  If it is twisted, you'll have a much harder time getting the whip because there's less of a loop to catch with.  Oh, and you want to aim for the string to go over the outer cup to end up on open string.  If you whip the inner cup, you'll have a half twist (darkside) and you'll get out of that as you need.

Alternatively, you can hold both sticks together in your hand, and whip straight for the axle in the Indiana Whip style.  This will cause the diabolo to wrap up on the string, so be careful.

HTH

Chiok
(we're all friendly bunch of people, if you use the Search button up the top)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal